Author Topic: CelticsBlog has lost its way.  (Read 44350 times)

Re: CelticsBlog has lost its way.
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
"I promise you one thing. A lot of good will come out of this. You will never see any blogger in the entire country play as hard as I will play the rest of the offseason. You will never see someone push the rest of the team as hard as I will push everybody the rest of the season. You will never see a team play harder than we will the rest of the season."

I really want to know how Tim Tebow ties into all this. I say that honestly, I am anxious to see that.

EDIT: I mean he's a good football player, but a crap blogger.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't understand any attack on the moderators.  Any time I've seen them reprimand someone in a forum it has been well deserved.  Usually it's an obnoxious poster baiting other posters or name calling.  The mods do a great job of keeping that down.  If one thread didn't go perfectly I don't think you should complain about it.  Especially when it's free and those guys don't get paid for it.  Maybe we should thank them for the hours of entertainment they have provided for all of us.

I'll start.. THANKS Celticsblog!!

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110
Fair enough.  I guess I'd like to see the inner workings/have some form of disciplinary action made public a bit more clearly, but that's not my decision and probably for the best.  Thanks to the mods for the insightful discussion.  Much appreciated.

Having lived through a fair amount of drama in multiple forums (try a WoW guild if you want to see crazy drama and power plays  ::)) the problem with making things more public is that it just invites more critism of 'fairness' and creates huge problems for the mods along with tons more drama.  We don't see the warnings and discussions in PMs and bringing those to light is counter-productive.  People get defensive in public posts and repond much better to private conversations.

But if the punishments/discipline are public, then people ask "why did X get this punishment, when Y got off scott free".  Maybe Y didn't get off scott free, he just responded to PMs in a positive way and changed behavior while X screamed, lied, and blamed others when mods contacted him.  Airing all the dirty laundry is conterproductive and can just set groups of friends against each other on the boards.  Then the guild falls apart and no one gets epics anymore (wait that was the other board  :o)

I think the mods do the best they can and people need to remember to send a PM to one if they really want to ask questions about situations.  Too often people see mods as power mad hoarders of information when a simple PM to a mod can defuse a situation.  Also try to remember there are non-public warnings (and other things) happening when drama errupts on the boards.       

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Out of curiosity, and trying to gauge public opinion here: are any of the others reading this thread terribly upset that we advertised the "fake draft" finals on the front page?  At the time, I thought that was a fun idea to reward people for their (obsessive) hard work, rather than a reason to heap scorn upon the mod staff.

Again, something that generated 10,000+ replies and 100,000 or so page views seemed like something worthy of mentioning to me.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Not having read any of the CB draft, I guess I've missed something.  Clearly, the growth of CB has changed things.  For me, I guess I pick my spots -- some titles interest me, some don't.  If I click onto a thread that I don't like, I click out.  Certainly the off-season doldrums and the population growth have led to some dilution of quality, but there is still much quality within these pages, and this remains the only blog I read.   I have been a CBlog reader since the early days and I still pop in -- even if for a few minutes -- most days.  I could not be more excited for the season and am looking forward to many hours of entertainment that will be provided here.

Lastly, I don't know how the mods do what they do -- the time and effort seem monumental. The mods have organized a blog that is interesting, funny, sometimes thought-provoking, and sometimes ire-inducing.   But, I always remember that 10 seconds after I click away from a frustrating comment or an opinion that I disagree with, I am over it -- thankfully.  

CBlog is truly one of my life's pleasures and I am grateful for it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:42:33 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2009, 07:16:50 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Out of curiosity, and trying to gauge public opinion here: are any of the others reading this thread terribly upset that we advertised the "fake draft" finals on the front page?  At the time, I thought that was a fun idea to reward people for their (obsessive) hard work, rather than a reason to heap scorn upon the mod staff.

Again, something that generated 10,000+ replies and 100,000 or so page views seemed like something worthy of mentioning to me.

Nope. If it doesn't interest me I will look at another topic/thread that does.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2009, 07:18:40 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

No problem here.  As I wrote above, the CB draft didn't interest me, so I didn't click through on that stuff (as I recall).  Same way I don't click through on stories that don't interest me or that I don't have time to read.

I think the mods do a great job.  Keep it up.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2009, 07:20:17 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

It made me really discover the CB draft (I knew it was going on for a few weeks but never paid attention to it) and convinced me to participate next year so I think it was worth the posting, especially since it's a community thing and that it has created so much activity on the boards.

Plus, with the lack of Celtics news, it was obvious that the frontpage needed something to talk about, and this was the right choice (Community related + basketball related).

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I need to join this cblog draft, its seems like that is where all the action is at. When I heard "draft" I just assumed it was fantasy football draft that celtics blog members made.

I'm not sure you've been here long enough  ;)

It's for Hall of Fame candidates only  ;D

I'm hall of fame quality! EXCELLENT!

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 07:27:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'll start by saying that this is my 4000th post and in the days I lurked, and even when I eventually signed up, I never thought I would post anything near to that. I have a friend who posted on forums and I remember saying "why? it's a bit silly you don't even know those people" and he replied "it's fun" - ok, fair enough I thought, but it's not for me.

Moving on from that, I found this place. At first, it was a fantastic place to come for Celtics information, news and chat among fans. Eventually, it became more than that. Movies, music, SOT OTT, football, squirrels, birds, bunnies, strawberries, apples, oranges, bananas, women trouble, ill health, family issues, help with assignments, help with life in general, ridiculous trades (anything with Ray), wonderful trades (when we received Garnett), bad times (18 game losing streak) euphoric times (banner #17). These are just some of the things I've discussed and/or seen on here. I've participated in threads and given/taken advice that I never saw myself doing. Some members I would say I could call friends, and though we're half a world apart it doesn't make it any less genuine than if we were half a minute apart.

I will thank each of you for that, I would like to go on to name each of you that have either had an effect on me or made me laugh or reached out, but I can't for fear of leaving someone out. Truth be known, you know who you are. If we've conversed about something privately or publicly, I've not forgotten. Whether it be a basketball debate, football debate, fantasy draft dealings, political debate, or any of the aforementioned issues, I've got it stored - both the good and the bad (but no bad blood) - and I thank you for that.

Yup

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I miss Steve Weinman and the daily babble. I see you lurking big guy  ::)
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 07:41:05 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110

No problem here.  As I wrote above, the CB draft didn't interest me, so I didn't click through on that stuff (as I recall).  Same way I don't click through on stories that don't interest me or that I don't have time to read.

I think the mods do a great job.  Keep it up.

Ditto, I had no interest in the topic and was busy in real life, so I didn't look at it twice.

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Fair enough.  I guess I'd like to see the inner workings/have some form of disciplinary action made public a bit more clearly, but that's not my decision and probably for the best.  Thanks to the mods for the insightful discussion.  Much appreciated.

Having lived through a fair amount of drama in multiple forums (try a WoW guild if you want to see crazy drama and power plays  ::)) the problem with making things more public is that it just invites more critism of 'fairness' and creates huge problems for the mods along with tons more drama.  We don't see the warnings and discussions in PMs and bringing those to light is counter-productive.  People get defensive in public posts and repond much better to private conversations.

But if the punishments/discipline are public, then people ask "why did X get this punishment, when Y got off scott free".  Maybe Y didn't get off scott free, he just responded to PMs in a positive way and changed behavior while X screamed, lied, and blamed others when mods contacted him.  Airing all the dirty laundry is conterproductive and can just set groups of friends against each other on the boards.  Then the guild falls apart and no one gets epics anymore (wait that was the other board  :o)

I think the mods do the best they can and people need to remember to send a PM to one if they really want to ask questions about situations.  Too often people see mods as power mad hoarders of information when a simple PM to a mod can defuse a situation.  Also try to remember there are non-public warnings (and other things) happening when drama errupts on the boards.       

Truth. Tp.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2009, 08:28:55 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I miss Steve Weinman and the daily babble. I see you lurking big guy  ::)

Thanks for the kind words, Jsaad - though Jeff, Roy, Green, FL and T (that's an incredible addition by the way, can't stress this enough) are certainly getting on excellently.  And don't worry, I'm still reading just about everything - though of course I'm sorry to see any thread in which some of our long-tenured and well-respected members feel so perturbed with the current state of affairs.

-sw
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:40:40 PM by Steve Weinman »

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2009, 08:29:47 PM »

Offline 4THQTR

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 61

Just like Drucci it got me to pay attention to it. I thought it was a cool idea and enjoyed looking at all the different rosters and envision how these fantasy teams would work out in reality...

I have no clue as to what exactly this thread is about and don't want to get involved in anything, but let me just point out that out of all the blogs and forums i've seen this one really stands out to me as being a great place for both information and entertainment and it also clearly stands out as being one of the rare places where an argument doesn't turn into senseless and quite embarrassing cursing at each other!
Big compliment to the staff for that!