Author Topic: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?  (Read 49079 times)

« on: January 21, 2009, 10:17:52 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
From time to time, we receive feedback regarding the blog, but often, it seems as though posters are hesitant to brings thing up without invitation.  So, consider this your invite.

Let us know anything and everything that could be made better about the blog, from the front page to chat to the forums.  While I'm sure the staff would love to hear, "I wouldn't change a thing", we're well aware that there may be improvements that could be made that we're overlooking.

Please try to keep all commentary constructive, and please don't attack others for any opinions that they may have.  The purpose of this is to be one giant brainstorming session (with the understanding that every change that is recommended, of course, won't necessarily be implemented.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Feedback: what would you change about Celticsblog?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
just me, but i think it would be cool to have a section where we discuss anything and everything about celtics HISTORY.  the celtics, unlike most other nba franchises, have a tremendous historical heritage and many (if not all of us) appreciate that.

maybe add links to historical rosters, results, box scores.  i'm no website wizard and not sure what the setup would look like (and i'm sure it would take a life of its own) but i think some of us "older" fans would find it enjoyable.

the '80s celtics were my teenage heroes, but it would be nice to learn a little more about some of the older teams and to allow a space for that particular discussion...it doesn't really fit under "celtics talk" but we've had a few discussions and people seemed to enjoy them.

thanks! :D
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:35:29 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I guess I just don't get why swearing isn't allowed here. I feel as if the creativity of some users would go up and the entertainment value could be a lot higher. They are only words and as long as people didn't call each other names, it could add to the discussion.

Sons of Sam Horn is a respected baseball board and I find myself dying laughing more often if I read a thread there because of the swearing. Perhaps I seem immature by posting this, but sometimes I want to post something with a swear in it, but end up not making the post because it's not the same.

Don't follow the ways of the FCC.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
just me, but i think it would be cool to have a section where we discuss anything and everything about celtics HISTORY.  the celtics, unlike most other nba franchises, have a tremendous historical heritage and many (if not all of us) appreciate that.

maybe add links to historical rosters, results, box scores.  i'm no website wizard and not sure what the setup would look like (and i'm sure it would take a life of its own) but i think some of us "older" fans would find it enjoyable.

the '80s celtics were my teenage heroes, but it would be nice to learn a little more about some of the older teams and to allow a space for that particular discussion...it doesn't really fit under "celtics talk" but we've had a few discussions and people seemed to enjoy them.

I'm sure we can track something down to do up the historic '96-97 season.   ;)

It's a great idea, Andy.  I'm a not a computer guy but I'm sure at least some of that could be feasible.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I guess I just don't get why swearing isn't allowed here. I feel as if the creativity of some users would go up and the entertainment value could be a lot higher. They are only words and as long as people didn't call each other names, it could add to the discussion.

Sons of Sam Horn is a respected baseball board and I find myself dying laughing more often if I read a thread there because of the swearing. Perhaps I seem immature by posting this, but sometimes I want to post something with a swear in it, but end up not making the post because it's not the same.

I strongly disagree.  I think swearing is a crutch.  Not swearing is much more creative and original.  But that's just my opinion.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 10:42:21 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I make a section "letters to Edgar" for people to ask advice about their love life, sentimental stuff, realtiontips... ;D..... ::)
i know I knwo I am not helping here, i just left my serious Edgar home...sorry
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:42:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm sure we can track something down to do up the historic '96-97 season.   ;)

It's a great idea, Andy.  I'm a not a computer guy but I'm sure at least some of that could be feasible.

I agree, and I'm sure we can put something together, although it's unlikely to incorporate a lot of bells and whistles, at least initially.

Another idea is nickagneta's idea for a Celticsblog Hall of Fame.  I like this idea as well, although it lost some of its momentum with the site change.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I see what you're saying but, trust me, we're not trying to be the FCC here.

A lot of these posting guidelines (such as no swearing) were developed with the intention to get away from those worthless, name-calling posts on many other sites' message boards.  No swearing seems to work as a deterrant to those posts.  I know some people use swearing as an added emphasis thing (definitely part of my arsenal in the real world).  It's just that, more often than not, the swearing tends to degenerate things on a message board.  Also, swearing might be completely comfortable with many posters on this board but there are also posters here who find swearing to be offensive and we have to respect that, also.  The word filter just evens things out across the board and it's easier than trying to interpret each person's use of language.  

Hopefully, that makes some sense.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

I strongly disagree.  I think swearing is a crutch.  Not swearing is much more creative and original.  But that's just my opinion.

I definitely agree that some people do use it as a crutch, but why is it not allowed in the first place? Is it because we don't want the kids to get offended when they read Celticsblog? I just feel as if we are really softening up our kids. The vocational school in my area the other day was closed down because because it was too cold. You can swear in PG 13 movies, so are we saying that our audience is not able to handle that?

Yes, this whole rant is because I want the ability to be able to call POB the p word. Nice job with the site guys. It's a great distraction from work.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

Yes, this whole rant is because I want the ability to be able to call POB the p word...

"potential"?  :D
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:06:43 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Yes, this whole rant is because I want the ability to be able to call POB the p word...

"potential"?  :D

Mr. Jick, at it again... ;D

As for the swearing and kids, I've always felt that what Dave from Blazer's Edge has said about this resonated with me, especially because the policy there is similar to ours:

I’d like this to be a place where parents can feel comfortable having their sons and daughters read and talk about the Blazers without picking up interesting words every second sentence. It doesn’t take that much effort on our part to keep it clean…maybe 1-2% of our post gets changed. But for them that could mean the difference between 100% reading Blazersedge or 0%. Making that small change on our part seems the charitable thing to do. (I generally feel the same about swearing in public. I’ll let loose every now and again but not if there’s a fourth-grader standing there. That’s just common courtesy to them and their family.)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08:09 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
More Celtics blog original articles from the other guys. I haven't seen anything from guys like Master Po, Bent, and Jeff(Baby Clark, understood) for a while. Steve W is great, but always good to have multiple perspectives.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:15:02 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
I make a section "letters to Edgar" for people to ask advice about their love life, sentimental stuff, realtiontips... ;D..... ::)

I'd read it

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

I'd read it

Anyone remember the "I need advice" thread?
That got us through the offseason  ;)

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How about having two latest forum topics menus. One can be a Latest Celtics Topics and include all the material in the Celtics Basketball section(Celtics talk, Around the NBA, Trade Ideas, The Draft, NBA Basketball and Tickets and Meet ups) and the other could be Latest Dicscussion Topics and include everything from the Other Discussions area and the Celticsblog area(Off Topics Graphics, Multimedia, Announcements, Community, Using Celticsblog, Welcome to Celticsblog, etc).

This way those that want just Celtics talk have an area to reference and those that want to discuss other topics have their area to reference. Also, this way Current Events can once again be seen somewhere on the Latest Forums area and have a bit more traffic.