Author Topic: WOJ: As a single star, Nets prefer Russell to Irving?  (Read 4886 times)

Re: WOJ: As a single star, Nets prefer Russell to Irving?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
They have a near max, Kyrie could sign a one year and re up later

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If the Lakers can't clear enough cap space, let's S&T him for Kuzma, Wagner and Bonga?

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If the Lakers can't clear enough cap space, let's S&T him for Kuzma, Wagner and Bonga?
yeah lets help the Lakers and get their garbage in return

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 05:41:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I am really unclear why people keep raising this Lakers thing that has two major problems

1) Kyrie wants to be the top banana. This was even reported as a potential issue with him and Durant signing in New York. He wanted to be the guy that signed first. I don't know how people can just ignore this major aspect of his personality that has been consistent for years, and think he is going to go literally play third banana to Davis and Lebron. Anything is possible, but this would be far and away the most surprising thing to happen in basketball in the last few years.

2) They don't currently have a max slot for kyrie, so kyrie would take a significant paycut on what may be the biggest contract of his year (he has also said he doesn't want to play forever, so this could be close to the end for him). Why would he take a pay cut to play third banana?

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 05:43:55 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Pleaaassee Kyrie just don't wind up back in Boston.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
I am really unclear why people keep raising this Lakers thing that has two major problems

1) Kyrie wants to be the top banana. This was even reported as a potential issue with him and Durant signing in New York. He wanted to be the guy that signed first. I don't know how people can just ignore this major aspect of his personality that has been consistent for years, and think he is going to go literally play third banana to Davis and Lebron. Anything is possible, but this would be far and away the most surprising thing to happen in basketball in the last few years.

2) They don't currently have a max slot for kyrie, so kyrie would take a significant paycut on what may be the biggest contract of his year (he has also said he doesn't want to play forever, so this could be close to the end for him). Why would he take a pay cut to play third banana?

Kyrie wanted to be the top banana two years ago. Who knows where his mind is at now.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 05:48:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Kyrie wanted to be the top banana two years ago. Who knows where his mind is at now.

If you read what I wrote, it was reported that was his mindset two months ago for joining up with Durant....

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 05:49:38 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wonder if the Nets have been paying attention to the issues Boston had and have become gun shy signing Irving, and this is an excuse to avoid having to deal with him. I mean out side of Butler, their isn't much available who isn't injured or would consider a star.

NY probably will jump, they're kinda dumb.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd still love to have Kyrie back in Boston.

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 05:54:38 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown

If you read what I wrote, it was reported that was his mindset two months ago for joining up with Durant....

Oh yea, sorry. I was a little off on that one as I am feeling a fear that somehow Ainge will be the only person to take Kyrie. Hopefully even Kyrie recognizes that he can't be a #1 on a team and goes and plays with his dad and Anthony Davis.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 05:59:52 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

If he wanted to be top banana, why leave? It just doesn’t make sense to go someplace worse off and expect better results. If Davis doesn’t take the kicker (Klutch will get him that money back), they will be pretty close, he could sign a 1+1 or whatever to get his mega contract next summer.

If what you’re saying is true, leaving Boston makes zero sense. He would get far and away the most money here, and can remain top banana.

The whole NYC thing about who would sign first was complete and utter nonsense, with absolutely zero credibility. Not a single person reporting it could have that information.

I think he’s prepared to take a backseat to whomever he pairs up with. He’s not a leader, and his stint in Boston proved it (hence his unecessarily-publicized apology to LeBron).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 06:12:03 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
He can go play 1 on 5 somewhere else. I predict if he goes to the Nets and they only get him and lose Russell their record will be no better than last year probably worse!

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 06:26:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Kyrie is super fun to watch especially when his mind is locked in.

Kyrie should be on the Harlem  globe trotters ,  he has all,the skill, NY fans ,  and a screwy personality.

shave ur head Kyrie and be Curly Neal 2.0

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 06:29:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Here is the quote from woj on this:

“What Brooklyn would like to have is not just Kyrie Irving, but a second star come in with him, and obviously Kevin Durant is that player,” Wojnarowski said.

“If they don’t get a second star, it'll be interesting to see if Brooklyn wants to have Kyrie Irving as a solo act. That didn’t go so great in Boston last year. So we’ll see if Brooklyn is still following through on just Kyrie Irving, because if they don’t take Kyrie Irving they can just bring back D’Angelo Russell at a lower number, younger player. But the focus with the Nets (is getting) two stars, and to try to get Kyrie Irving to go out and try to recruit KD.”

I guess the Nets still want KD even though is injured? That seems weird.

I'm going to go ahead and say 30 teams out there would want Durant even though he is injured.

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I'd still love to have Kyrie back in Boston.

Why ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce