Author Topic: WOJ: As a single star, Nets prefer Russell to Irving?  (Read 4884 times)

WOJ: As a single star, Nets prefer Russell to Irving?
« on: June 19, 2019, 05:10:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
My brother just sent me that Woj reported the Nets would prefer to keep Russell over Irving if they can not get a second star to go alongside Irving. Given that Klay and Durant are injury, Davis was already traded and Kemba makes no sense alongside Irving. Does this mean it is unlikely for Irving to go to Brooklyn now? Note I am trying to find the story for this online, but I do believe Woj did just say this.

Re: WOJ: As a single star, Nets prefer Russell to Irving?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 05:12:28 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Irving can go to the Lakers

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 05:15:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Here is the quote from woj on this:

“What Brooklyn would like to have is not just Kyrie Irving, but a second star come in with him, and obviously Kevin Durant is that player,” Wojnarowski said.

“If they don’t get a second star, it'll be interesting to see if Brooklyn wants to have Kyrie Irving as a solo act. That didn’t go so great in Boston last year. So we’ll see if Brooklyn is still following through on just Kyrie Irving, because if they don’t take Kyrie Irving they can just bring back D’Angelo Russell at a lower number, younger player. But the focus with the Nets (is getting) two stars, and to try to get Kyrie Irving to go out and try to recruit KD.”

I guess the Nets still want KD even though is injured? That seems weird.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Irving can go to the Lakers

I think that’s a very strong possibility. He can go full heal, reunite with James and get max publicity by spurning the Celtics for the Lakers, even if he takes a pay cut (can sign with Klutch on the cheap to make up the difference at some point).

Going to the Nets by himself will not end well. For him or the team.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Here is the quote from woj on this:

“What Brooklyn would like to have is not just Kyrie Irving, but a second star come in with him, and obviously Kevin Durant is that player,” Wojnarowski said.

“If they don’t get a second star, it'll be interesting to see if Brooklyn wants to have Kyrie Irving as a solo act. That didn’t go so great in Boston last year. So we’ll see if Brooklyn is still following through on just Kyrie Irving, because if they don’t take Kyrie Irving they can just bring back D’Angelo Russell at a lower number, younger player. But the focus with the Nets (is getting) two stars, and to try to get Kyrie Irving to go out and try to recruit KD.”

I guess the Nets still want KD even though is injured? That seems weird.

kyrie and kd to knicks

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I would not sign Kyrie unless I am ready for a title. I don't think the Nets are there yet unless they get Kawhi. I think that the baggage that he brings is not worth it unless you've got a good shot at a ring. He's as nutty as Alex Jones. The problem with waiting for KD to come back next year is that Kyrie would have had a full year to do "his thing."

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »

Offline crimcartel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
My brother just sent me that Woj reported the Nets would prefer to keep Russell over Irving if they can not get a second star to go alongside Irving. Given that Klay and Durant are injury, Davis was already traded and Kemba makes no sense alongside Irving. Does this mean it is unlikely for Irving to go to Brooklyn now? Note I am trying to find the story for this online, but I do believe Woj did just say this.

I've been saying this to people.. kyrie's options are slim. He was supposed to be a packaged deal with another star.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 05:20:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Is it still accurate that Lakers do not have a max contract slot? Given his history of injuries and troublesome knee, it seems difficult to imagine Irving accepting less money to play third banana to Lebron and Davis.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 05:20:51 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Frankly BKN should just re-up Russell for the lower money and age and go out and sign somebody anyway. I get that Irving apparently has some luring power (wonder if that still exists after this season...) but like, it's still NYC, it's still a good young playoff team, the system and coach is pretty solid now, and they have cap space. Sign somebody else, if Russell is 80% of Kyrie right now anyway.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
I would not sign Kyrie unless I am ready for a title. I don't think the Nets are there yet unless they get Kawhi. I think that the baggage that he brings is not worth it unless you've got a good shot at a ring. He's as nutty as Alex Jones.

So I wonder if Kyrie ends up signing with a team he originally had no interest in joining?  Say the nets stand pat with Russel, Lakers are capped out.  Knicks go a different direction. Where else would he end up?

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 05:23:11 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He can go play 1 on 5 somewhere else. I predict if he goes to the Nets and they only get him and lose Russell their record will be no better than last year probably worse!

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 05:23:31 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I would not sign Kyrie unless I am ready for a title. I don't think the Nets are there yet unless they get Kawhi. I think that the baggage that he brings is not worth it unless you've got a good shot at a ring. He's as nutty as Alex Jones.

So I wonder if Kyrie ends up signing with a team he originally had no interest in joining?  Say the nets stand pat with Russel, Lakers are capped out.  Knicks go a different direction. Where else would he end up?

The Knicks would sign him. The Knicks would sign Usher. They don't care about winning. They just want someone that they can market.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 05:27:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

The Knicks would sign him. The Knicks would sign Usher. They don't care about winning. They just want someone that they can market.

Then they would be a perfect match for Kyrie. >:(

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
That’ll probably mean Kyrie to lakers...bad news to worse news

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
That’ll probably mean Kyrie to lakers...bad news to worse news

they don't have max cap space... ?