Poll

Guess: Who Is Lebron Playing For After This Season?

Cleveland Cavaliers (He Stays)
33 (30.6%)
Houston Rockets
13 (12%)
Los Angeles Clippers
3 (2.8%)
Los Angeles Lakers
32 (29.6%)
New York Knicks
4 (3.7%)
Boston Celtics (Hey... Who Knows)
4 (3.7%)
Philadelphia 76ers
9 (8.3%)
Milwaukee Bucks
1 (0.9%)
San Antonio Spurs
6 (5.6%)
Other Team (Comment Below!)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?  (Read 49710 times)

Re: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Embiid recent comments suggest they don’t need Lebron. I really doubt Simmons wants him there.
Which really doesn't matter.  If Lebron expresses an interest in going to the Sixers, their ownership and management aren't going to turn him down.  A lot of Sixers fans would be up in arms if they did.

Not necessarily true. Would GSW management sign Lebron if he wanted to go there? Would Boston Celtics management sign him?  Highly doubtful, because of existing team dynamics. I think the same about Philly. First of all, I don’t think he’s a good fit there personnel-wise. Secondly, I don’t think they need him. They’ve got their Lebron James. His name is Ben Simmons.
Golden State would absolutely sign Lebron if it didn't cost them any of their big 4 to do it.  Frankly, the Celtics might as well, even with Irving.  It would mean Irving might very well leave, but if it didn't cost Boston anything to sign him, then I absolutely could see Boston signing him.  After all the goal is to win titles and James absolutely helps with that.
I'd much, much rather have KI then LBJ. The age difference and shooting does it.
We are the Celtics, we look to dominate until the 2030s arrive and nowadays an older LeBron James isn't on our timeline, let alone five years in advance.
Irving is injured again.  This is what his 5th leg injury.  There is a chance that James actually is better player than Irving every single year they are in the league together.

You think Lebron will be better at 38 than Irving at 30? That seems.. provocative

« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
They're already a realistic contender next year if healthy without doing much of anything.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #242 on: April 24, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Embiid recent comments suggest they don’t need Lebron. I really doubt Simmons wants him there.
Which really doesn't matter.  If Lebron expresses an interest in going to the Sixers, their ownership and management aren't going to turn him down.  A lot of Sixers fans would be up in arms if they did.

Not necessarily true. Would GSW management sign Lebron if he wanted to go there? Would Boston Celtics management sign him?  Highly doubtful, because of existing team dynamics. I think the same about Philly. First of all, I don’t think he’s a good fit there personnel-wise. Secondly, I don’t think they need him. They’ve got their Lebron James. His name is Ben Simmons.
Golden State would absolutely sign Lebron if it didn't cost them any of their big 4 to do it.  Frankly, the Celtics might as well, even with Irving.  It would mean Irving might very well leave, but if it didn't cost Boston anything to sign him, then I absolutely could see Boston signing him.  After all the goal is to win titles and James absolutely helps with that.

Yeah, i agree. If it was feasible to sign Lebron, we’d do it, even if it meant having to trade Kyrie.

Lebron brings some issues with him, but on the court he’s close to the perfect player.

Assume you trade Kyrie for Kawhi.

Horford / Baynes
Kawhi / Theis
Hayward / Tatum
Brown / Smart
Lebron / Rozier

There’s 0% chance that management says no to that. Unfortunately, we have no way of obtaining him.
what about trading Irving (and salary filler) for James?

If memory serves me correctly, you were a big proponent of trading Brown plus other assets (Rozier, Smart??) for Jimmy Butler/Paul George.  I only bring this up not because it was a bad idea (although I think it was), but because it represents an impatience among a certain segment on this board who are always trying to create rosters that can compete for a 2-3 year window at the expense of building up longer term, to compete over a much longer period (8-10 years).  I appreciate more the sentiment of putting a bet on the growth of your top picks like Brown and Tatum, and yes, your 26 year old PG, Kyrie Irving.  Not saying that we should never make a trade. E.g., I favored the Kyrie trade, but that was because we got the best player and we got a lot younger.  I would have been interested in Lebron 3-4 years ago, but not anymore.  I still think he is great, just that I think he is too ball dominant for a Brad Stevens team, and he is too old for what we are building here with the Boston Celtics.
I enjoy winning titles.  I like teams that are realistic contenders.  I don't like to hold out hope that young guys may someday be as good as the player being acquired is right now.  I mean there was a large segment on this board that didn't want to trade Al Jefferson for Kevin Garnett.  It is great to have attachments to young players, but far too many on here act like Brown and Tatum are already Butler and Leonard, when the reality is they may never be even 80% of what those players are.  The bird in hand is worth more than the birds in the bush.

Seriously Brown is more than 80% Butler today. Trade proposals of that ilk don’t win championships.  They create the current incarnation of the OKC Thunder. No thank you.

« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Yeah, i agree. If it was feasible to sign Lebron, we’d do it, even if it meant having to trade Kyrie.

Lebron brings some issues with him, but on the court he’s close to the perfect player.

Assume you trade Kyrie for Kawhi.

Horford / Baynes
Kawhi / Theis
Hayward / Tatum
Brown / Smart
Lebron / Rozier

There’s 0% chance that management says no to that. Unfortunately, we have no way of obtaining him.
what about trading Irving (and salary filler) for James?

If memory serves me correctly, you were a big proponent of trading Brown plus other assets (Rozier, Smart??) for Jimmy Butler/Paul George.  I only bring this up not because it was a bad idea (although I think it was), but because it represents an impatience among a certain segment on this board who are always trying to create rosters that can compete for a 2-3 year window at the expense of building up longer term, to compete over a much longer period (8-10 years).  I appreciate more the sentiment of putting a bet on the growth of your top picks like Brown and Tatum, and yes, your 26 year old PG, Kyrie Irving.  Not saying that we should never make a trade. E.g., I favored the Kyrie trade, but that was because we got the best player and we got a lot younger.  I would have been interested in Lebron 3-4 years ago, but not anymore.  I still think he is great, just that I think he is too ball dominant for a Brad Stevens team, and he is too old for what we are building here with the Boston Celtics.
I enjoy winning titles.  I like teams that are realistic contenders.  I don't like to hold out hope that young guys may someday be as good as the player being acquired is right now.  I mean there was a large segment on this board that didn't want to trade Al Jefferson for Kevin Garnett.  It is great to have attachments to young players, but far too many on here act like Brown and Tatum are already Butler and Leonard, when the reality is they may never be even 80% of what those players are.  The bird in hand is worth more than the birds in the bush.

Seriously Brown is more than 80% Butler today. Trade proposals of that ilk don’t win championships.  They create the current incarnation of the OKC Thunder. No thank you.

Yeah Brown is scoring 23 a game in the playoffs right now. Why do people want to trade him for Butler? Butler is 29 next year and makes 20 million... Brown makes 4.7 and 11 million combined the next two seasons and is 22 next season. That would be an awful awful trade to do even if we just had filler...

« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2018, 10:55:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm getting the feeling Bron might not join the 76ers next summer after all

« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2018, 11:59:08 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
As long as Lebron doesn't join the Sixers this summer, I think we're fine going forward. Sixers will still be our biggest threats in the East IMHO, but I think we'll be better and deeper especially once we're healthy.

Now Philly could still add George or Leonard, but George is not at Lebron's level, and while a healthy Kawhi is Top-5 in the league, PHI would definitely have to give up pieces to acquire him (like Fultz, Saric, another piece and like 2 picks I imagine), so while Kawhi is an upgrade, it would come at a bit of a cost too. Also, we don't know much about Kawhi's injury and it seems there are red flags on him now (which seems bizarre considering Kawhi is usually humble and respected, but idk..)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
As long as Lebron doesn't join the Sixers this summer, I think we're fine going forward. Sixers will still be our biggest threats in the East IMHO, but I think we'll be better and deeper especially once we're healthy.

Now Philly could still add George or Leonard, but George is not at Lebron's level, and while a healthy Kawhi is Top-5 in the league, PHI would definitely have to give up pieces to acquire him (like Fultz, Saric, another piece and like 2 picks I imagine), so while Kawhi is an upgrade, it would come at a bit of a cost too. Also, we don't know much about Kawhi's injury and it seems there are red flags on him now (which seems bizarre considering Kawhi is usually humble and respected, but idk..)

I think Philly gets one of Leonard or McCollum. Or maybe even Beal. They can package the Lakers Pick this year, possibly another future pick, and some salary pieces to get it done. I'd imagine in a Leonard deal though, Fultz would also have to be in the package. I don't see Lebron going there to be honest.

« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
A lot of Sixers fans think that they will trade for Kawhi and that will lead to Lebron signing with them too  :(  :o

If it's true that Popovich would not trade a star in his own conference, then that probably would mean he's not Lakers bound. But could a team like MIL or Charlotte or NYK beat a rumored PHI offer for Leonard (Fultz, Saric + Salary + Pick)?

Or maybe Spurs and Kawhi settle their differences and Kawhi signs that $219M extension.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #248 on: May 06, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
A lot of Sixers fans think that they will trade for Kawhi and that will lead to Lebron signing with them too  :(  :o

If it's true that Popovich would not trade a star in his own conference, then that probably would mean he's not Lakers bound. But could a team like MIL or Charlotte or NYK beat a rumored PHI offer for Leonard (Fultz, Saric + Salary + Pick)?

Or maybe Spurs and Kawhi settle their differences and Kawhi signs that $219M extension.

Been hearing beef between Kawhi Leonard and Spurs, so he's for sure out of San Antonio.

Hoping LeBron and Paul George go to the Lakers...so Boston can own the East for multiple years to come. And it'll be fun watching the Lakers succumb to the Warriors 4 times a year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #249 on: May 06, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
For the people who think LeBron can't coexist with Ben Simmons, because they are both ball-dominant and Ben can't shoot...

If you're Philly why not just trade Ben Simmons + Covington for Kawhi and sign LeBron?

Overpay by Philly? 

Probably true.  They could probably get Kawhi for Fultz + Covington + #10.

But are we totally ruling out the idea of moving Simmons for the bigger picture?  If they think Fultz can become the player they expected him to become, a line-up of PG - "Good" Fultz, SG - Kawhi, SF - LeBron, PF - Saric, C - Embiid... nasty.

« Reply #250 on: May 06, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Fultz, Saric, etc for Leonard would be dismissed by Spurs. Garbage. Would have to include Simmons, and even that would be a risk for Spurs given his dreadful playoff performance so far. If you’re the Sixers you may deal Simmons for Leonard and hope that Fultz can get his act together to be your starting PG. Embiid, Leonard and a rehabilitated Fultz would be more competitive than current Philly lineup.

« Reply #251 on: May 06, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
For the people who think LeBron can't coexist with Ben Simmons, because they are both ball-dominant and Ben can't shoot...

If you're Philly why not just trade Ben Simmons + Covington for Kawhi and sign LeBron?

Overpay by Philly? 

But are we totally ruling out the idea of moving Simmons for the bigger picture?  If they think Fultz can become the player they expected him to become, a line-up of PG - "Good" Fultz, SG - Kawhi, SF - LeBron, PF - Saric, C - Embiid... nasty.

Funny I just posted similar trade proposal. I guess we’re friends now LOL.

« Reply #252 on: May 06, 2018, 03:21:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
On subject of Lebron, Cleveland has a very good chance of  getting to the finals again. If they do, why would he bother to leave Cleveland?  Especially if they could use BKLN pick in trade for help.

« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Overpay by Philly? 

I agree. If Lebron agreed to go to Philly, then a deal centered around Simmons/Covington for Kawhi would be great for both teams. I would be genuinely scared of Philly with an Embiid, Lebron, Kawhi core.

I can't imagine Fultz/Covington/#10 is going to be the best deal out there for Kawhi. I know Fultz still has some value, but he also has a lot of question marks. The main piece coming back for Kawhi has to be a guarantee.

« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Fultz, Saric, etc for Leonard would be dismissed by Spurs. Garbage. Would have to include Simmons, and even that would be a risk for Spurs given his dreadful playoff performance so far. If you’re the Sixers you may deal Simmons for Leonard and hope that Fultz can get his act together to be your starting PG. Embiid, Leonard and a rehabilitated Fultz would be more competitive than current Philly lineup.
Taking it a step further, if Philly really wanted to get creative they could move Simmons + Fultz + Bayless to the Spurs for Kawhi (and maybe the Spurs include a future 1st) - which feels like an insane overpay...

And then they move Covington, Anderson, Furkan, Cabarrot in a salary dump and take back a pick or something - which also feels like a loss...

But then they have Kawhi (20 mil), Embiid (25 mil), Saric (2.5 mil)  on the books and use their roughly 58 mil in cap space to just sign Paul George and LeBron on Durant-esque deals. 

Bron, Kawhi, George, Saric, Embiid would make for an interesting core. 

Or if it's too difficult to imagine Bron and George splitting that money, maybe old man Chris Paul is willing to take a discount.

PG - Paul, SG - Kawhi, SF - Bron, PF - Saric, C - Embiid

Who knows.