Author Topic: New basketball league for American whites only  (Read 29117 times)

Re: New basketball league for American whites only
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2010, 01:09:43 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I just don't see how they'll be able to play at all wearing those robes and hoods.

TP.

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2010, 03:11:14 AM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
I just don't see how they'll be able to play at all wearing those robes and hoods.

Well Done but it brings up interesting questions. If you (obviously white people in this case) were asked to play in this league would you? Do you think players who participate in this league are racists? In this case I think I'd go with you would have to be a little racist to play in this league because even if it was your dream to play pro basketball this league would be a dead end because of its stigma and also because I can't imagine they will be able to pay the players anything (what company is dumb enough to sponsor this league)

Actually maybe they can generate revenue by threatening to wear, say Nike, unless the company pays them big bucks not to.

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I'm embarrassed for them since they don't seem to be. This is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.

Look, I hate to even report this, but I heard speculation that one team name was the " Augusta Klan"  though that may be changed to the Savanagh Shicklegruber's.  I have also heard that instead of the National Anthem they may play "Sweet Home Alabama".  And that the mascot is an Albino Possum, named Adolph.
His big sell was his being able to throw up a Sigh Heil salute, while lighting a candle of a Swastika while dunking.

The whole thought of an all white league makes is sick.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:55:55 AM by ThaPreacher »
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP -- beat me to it!!

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2010, 08:09:23 AM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
Well, it certainly sounds and APPEARS to be a bad idea and racist...But:

Is this idea born out of a racist mentality? Or is it born out of something else? We cannot always judge a book by its cover, no matter how bad it may appear...trust me on that.

Has anyone actually spoken with the originators of this potential league?

This is somewhat reminiscent of a thread we had a few months ago here - something dealing with lack of white americans in the NBA?

Now THAT thread puzzled me..the discussion was good, but all we could come up with were suppositions..

I remember the days of the 80's...the names that readily come to mind are: Kevin Mchale, Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Tom Chambers, Jeff Ruland, Bill Laimbeer, MArk Eaton, John Stockton, Jack Sikma, Bobby Jones...all dominant players and All-Stars if I'm not mistaken.

Where have they all gone? American-born players?

I cannot believe that Genetics is an issue - just during my last tour of service on a Carrier, I saw at Least TWO fellows that had to be at least 6'10"..they were young and lean, too. (And yes an Aircraft Carrier is probably the only class of Navy Ship that could comfortably fit these men, lol).

I know that we have Kevin Love (Future All-Star I think). Cole Aldrich will be a lottery Pick I believe....but everyone else seems foreign-borne (Dirk Nowitski, Chris Kaman, etc....).

So it's one thing if this new league wants to actively discriminate, becuase that would be wrong..but is there another issue these folks are trying to bring awareness to?

I apologize ahead of time if my post offends. Just some food for thought.

I don't know. Judging by the league's commissioner's quotes, it sounds awfully a lot like some discrimination and the perception that "streetball is black" and "fundamental basketball is white" sure seems like broad and incorrect generalizations to me. 

If the guy wants to bring awareness to fundamental basketball, there are a lot better ways to do it than by making it "white only".

Yes, of course, because nobody enjoys watching Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton and their showboat/flashy/streetball game, curling around screens, shooting mid-range jumpers, and Three pointers, pump faking and all of that fancy stuff.

People want to see, Steve Nash or (old)Jason Williams playing fundamental basketball, like throwing no-looks, pulling up out of nowhere for 3's on a fastbreak, behind the back passes, extended-one handed layups, and the fundamentally trickery ball handling.
People want to see Chris Anderson, and his tatted-up arms, crazy hair, and the fundamental type of basketball, where he uses his acrobatic athleticism to swat shots into the stands, and pose afterwards. thats the kind of fundamental basketball people want to see.

Duh...everybody knows that.

well said!!

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2010, 06:40:07 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
what self-respecting player would ever agree to play for that league :-\

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Quote from: Don "Moose" Lewis
"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing,"

LOL

Quote from: Don "Moose" Lewis
"I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

This guy is an idiot.

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
i have no words for this

« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »

Offline gojko

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
let's be realistic... what would left from basketball if only whites play it??

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
this would open doors to all kinda otha stuff...shouldnt be allowed.