Author Topic: What's The Best Performance YOU'VE Had...  (Read 40951 times)

Re: What's The Best Performance YOU'VE Had...
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »

Offline mattmc33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • So what if we don't win 73 - the ring's the thing
When I was in college as a freshman in Australia (over 20 years ago :o) I had 30 points on 12/13 shooting from the field, 8 assists and 8 boards in one especially memorable game. I was so hot that game and so in the zone I was hitting shots with two or three guys draped all over me. The one standout memory was down the stretch -  we were up by 20 or so, I grabbed a D board, ran up the floor and thought "ah why not" so I pulled up a good six feet behind the three point line and just launched a missile that hit nothing but net. Our entire bench started screaming and falling over themselves a la the Hawks' bench in New Orleans during Larry's 60 point game.

Problem was I never played a game before or since as good as that one. Did score 65 one night including 14 triples but the level of competition was nowhere near as good.  
"There will never, ever, be...another Larry Bird" - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson, Larry Bird Retirement Ceremony, Boston Garden

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 06:47:33 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Discounting my intramural title, which was my favorite team accomplishment...

22 pts, 22 rebs in a CYO state final was probably it...

Ahh glory days haha
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
I scored 18 in an intramural game in college. The 2-3 zone was all the rage, and I was playing shooting guard for about the first time in my life. (I usually played the 3 or 4. By the end of the season, I was playing the 5 in our own 2-3 zone.)

Our point guard was a pass-first type and he kept finding me for open jumpers against the zone. He overcompensated for my lack of ball-handling skills (he was Tiny Archibald to my Chris Ford, more or less.) Later, he got replaced by a shoot-first point guard who never looked for me at all.  >:(

Since then, it's been all pick-up action and I just try to help my team win however I can (which generally means position defense, boxing out and passing in the Scalabrine mode).

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »

Offline SaCaCh

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
I scored 28 when I was in 6th grade. The other team just did not catch on to our play of me going into the corner and hitting about an 18 footer. No 3 point line WAY back then lol.

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 07:03:15 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
My best performance was in a Rec-league game in 1993 when I was 10 years old: I had 67 points, 28 rebounds, 12 blocks, 15 steals, and 1 assist.  I shot 29/29 from the floor (including 9-9 from beyond the arc) and did not go to the free throw line because it would've been too unfair and slowed the game down tremendously.  

I had a windmill dunk over a 7-foot French dude during which I blew out a candle on a cupcake that was on the rim.  Also, I had a buzzer beater at the end of each quarter, even though they were inconsequential.  I'll never forget that day...
God bless and good night!

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »

Offline BigHam

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • 7' 2" 330 lbs
I remember that game very well Brick, but I'm actually from Belgium. Who is going to set up the first C's Blog Invitational?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:13:32 PM by BigHam »
Waking up from a slumber to misunderstand another.

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2009, 07:15:42 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I had my best game 2 weeks ago.  I've been on varsity since half way through my freshmen year but this game everything was clicking.  I had 24 points, 5 assist, like 3-4 boards, and 2 steals.  The subs were at the scorers table since we were up by like 20 with 3 minutes in the 4th and I got my second steal, wide open break away dunk. Turns out I underestimated how fast the other kid was that I just stole the ball from and as I went for my first high school dunk. He hit me, no foul call, and then I landed on his foot and sprained my ankle.  Haven't played since lol.  

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I had much better scoring performances, but my best game ever was when I was one point away from a triple double. Imagine that - one point!

17 boards, 15 blocks, 9 points.

Wow, Toine, 15 blocks!?!? that's insane! Are you really tall or were you just a super athletic player who made weak side blocks into the stands like Josh Smith?

I'm not all that tall (about 6'1.5''), but I have a freakishly long wingspan, and a knack for waiting until the ball is in the air to contest. Probably my blocks are split half and half between weakside and just good man defense.

That's crazy, man. 15 blocks must of felt good. The feeling of sending one into the stands is the best.

I'd just like to say that I'm a 5'10 point guard and that last night I blocked a layup attempt off the glass. The guy who took it was 6'8, 240 and he tried to get cute with it on the fast break.

Definitely the best defensive play of my career to date, since we were only up 6 at the time, and this guy, #32, had been scoring on us all game. The block rattled him and the next time he got the ball he got fouled and missed both free throws.

Wow, you must have some serious hops. What's your vertical?

34" on a good day when I'm feeling loose. It used to be about 25", but I've been working out and training my quads for about two years now and its really helped my game.

And yes-- Toine's 15 blocks is the most impressive stat yet. TP to him for that feat, and to EJ for dropping 44 points.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:44:43 PM by Rondo_is_better »
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I had much better scoring performances, but my best game ever was when I was one point away from a triple double. Imagine that - one point!

Wow, Toine, 15 blocks!?!? that's insane! Are you really tall or were you just a super athletic player who made weak side blocks into the stands like Josh Smith?

I'm not all that tall (about 6'1.5''), but I have a freakishly long wingspan, and a knack for waiting until the ball is in the air to contest. Probably my blocks are split half and half between weakside and just good man defense.

That's crazy, man. 15 blocks must of felt good. The feeling of sending one into the stands is the best.

I'd just like to say that I'm a 5'10 point guard and that last night I blocked a layup attempt off the glass. The guy who took it was 6'8, 240 and he tried to get cute with it on the fast break.

Definitely the best defensive play of my career to date, since we were only up 6 at the time, and this guy, #32, had been scoring on us all game. The block rattled him and the next time he got the ball he got fouled and missed both free throws.

34" on a good day when I'm feeling loose. It used to be about 25", but I've been working out and training my quads for about two years now and its really helped my game.

And yes-- Toine's 15 blocks is the most impressive stat yet. TP to him for that feat, and to EJ for dropping 44 points.

Very impressive! that's good hops and makes a lot of difference. Keep it up while you are young. It is a lot easier to keep it than to get it back.

Here's how big of a Celtic homer I have always been. When I scored that 44 my first thought was "Danny's jersey number". Of course I was wearing 33 as usual. I would even mutter "Larry Bird" under my breath right before I shot my free throws... I thought I would eventually outgrow this. I guess not!

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
In our high school final in 1985 my team came back from a 35 point half time deficit to win at the buzzer on a shot from just inside the half court line (not me). I scored 12 points in the first half and 40 in the second (20 minute halves). That game earned my the nickname "packer" as in pack 'a cards (52 cards in a deck), which a couple of people still call me today.

Also, although more luck than skill but infinitely more memorable to more people as far as me and basketball goes, I won $10,000 by hitting a layup, a foul shot, a three pointer and a half court shot in front of about 5,000 people at a contest at half time in an NBL game in 1992.

Most bizarre incident...a midget (or whatever the pc word is for a little person these day) trying to back me and my teammates down in the post in a YMCA game about four years ago.....funny but sad if you had of seen how seriously this fellow played the game despite being totally out of his depth skill and height wise.

I love basketball.

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009, 08:58:11 PM »

Offline help D

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Great stories, even the made up ones 8)

Rec league and we were down 2 with 20 ticks. I brought the ball up the right side and as I crossed the halfcourt line of our 80 foot court I was suddenly possessed to shoot it. From about 35 it was nothing but net.

Of course, I ran down to double team the guy catching the inbound and they beat our trap and got a layup to win it. :-[

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 09:40:48 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
I think 17 points was the best I ever had for my High School basketball team. I was a starter but there were a couple of guys who always scored so I usually stayed in the 6-12 point range. Never had any real memorable shots though, always let the pressure get to me in those scenarios. I think I sent a game to overtime when I was a little kid at a basketball camp though  ;)

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2009, 10:01:01 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Very impressive! that's good hops and makes a lot of difference. Keep it up while you are young. It is a lot easier to keep it than to get it back.

Here's how big of a Celtic homer I have always been. When I scored that 44 my first thought was "Danny's jersey number". Of course I was wearing 33 as usual. I would even mutter "Larry Bird" under my breath right before I shot my free throws... I thought I would eventually outgrow this. I guess not!

Thanks! When I was on the JV as a freshman I wore 34 in Paul Pierce's honor. I'm of a younger group of Celtic fanatics, I guess, but he's my favorite player. Now I wear 23, because 34 was not available, and there was a decent player for the Bulls once who used to wear 23, so I figured it was the next best thing.

My thing for free throws is looking up at the banners we have  on the wall, or if we're away, envisioning them. For some reason it really focuses me.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2009, 10:26:57 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I've had a few good memories from HS and rec games. Nothing spectaular especially because I was never a big scorer.

But 1 season, I averaged just over 5 blocks a game (although I only played half the games because of an ankle injury). And the highest I had 1 game was 7 blocks (yea I was consistant all games getting blocks lol-and I wasn't especially tall, I was the 4/5 then) and in that game, I had 3 blocks in a row on the same possession.
Another memory, was later in HS when I've stopped growing and started playin some 2/3 as well as 4 and a lil 5. I hit a game winning 3 in the last seconds to give us our first win of the season.
And most recently I had 20 points and over 10 boards in a game, hitting 3 3s.
But my best game was probably a 15 point game where we won against a very good opponent.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2009, 10:27:10 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I dropped 63 points, 10 rebounds and 8 assists one night...boy 2k9 is fun.