Author Topic: Ray Allen or Nick Young  (Read 10793 times)

Re: Ray Allen or Nick Young
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

and if allen walks...young is about the best the celtics can do for a SG

Pietrus would be a better choice.  He actually defends.

I like Pietrus, and I hope he's back, but I sometimes wonder if people put too much emphasis on defense.

Don't get me wrong; I prefer players who can play good D, but it seems like we Cs fans often want guys who play good to great D but give little on offense—Pietrus, Stiemsma, Daniels, Pavs—and then we complain about long scoring droughts.

The best thing, of course, is to have a team full of players who are good on offense AND defense, but that's unrealistic, so if it's OK to have some players who specialize in D with little offense, what's wrong with having one or two who specialize in offense with little D? If there's a game situation in which we need more defense, play Bradley; if there's a situation in which we need more offense, play Terry or Young.

And let's not forget that Young comes from an environment (DC) that fosters terrible defense and knuckleheaded behavior; maybe he turns both those things around in the right environment. I prefer Ray, but if he walks, I think a gamble on Young (at the right price, of course) is a worthwhile venture.

This.

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Young is 6'7.  Can play the 2/3.  He can defend and is a decent handler/passer.  can also create his own shot.  I like Ray but oung has a better upside for us and gives us more options..  I think This team is fine with the acquisition of Terry and Young with or without Ray.  I like Pietrus but he is not better than Nick young.  He has more length but is a pretty straight up shooter aka cant really create his own shot.  Rondo running the floor with green, young/terry would give teams panic attacks.  Did I mention it makes this team younger?  If we're paing the same as ray or less, I'd say do it.
rofl wat u talmbout at da bolded bruh? Swaggy P averages 1.0 assist per game for his career everytime he gets da ball its goin up I would accept dude here but u got it al wrong at da bolded

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
nd as far as Quis I'd rather let Kris Joseph develop we done had Quis here for 3 years nd he's underwhelmed or been injured every year enough of dat experiment bring in young bring back Pietrus nd lets see wat Kris Joseph can do

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

Young is 6'7.  Can play the 2/3.  He can defend and is a decent handler/passer.  can also create his own shot.  I like Ray but oung has a better upside for us and gives us more options..  I think This team is fine with the acquisition of Terry and Young with or without Ray.  I like Pietrus but he is not better than Nick young.  He has more length but is a pretty straight up shooter aka cant really create his own shot.  Rondo running the floor with green, young/terry would give teams panic attacks.  Did I mention it makes this team younger?  If we're paing the same as ray or less, I'd say do it.
rofl wat u talmbout at da bolded bruh? Swaggy P averages 1.0 assist per game for his career everytime he gets da ball its goin up I would accept dude here but u got it al wrong at da bolded

He isn't there to assist and distribute the ball to others. We have Rondo for that. Both Ray and Nick can score. Neither can defend. Ray will be 37 in about 2 weeks, Nick Young is 27. Give me Young.

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He isn't there to assist and distribute the ball to others. We have Rondo for that. Both Ray and Nick can score. Neither can defend. Ray will be 37 in about 2 weeks, Nick Young is 27. Give me Young please.
Just because you're primarily a shooter doesn't mean you can't rebound your position or pass the ball.

When you're 6'6" you shouldn't put up rebounding numbers that Steve Nash routinely beat.

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

He isn't there to assist and distribute the ball to others. We have Rondo for that. Both Ray and Nick can score. Neither can defend. Ray will be 37 in about 2 weeks, Nick Young is 27. Give me Young please.
Just because you're primarily a shooter doesn't mean you can't rebound your position or pass the ball.

When you're 6'6" you shouldn't put up rebounding numbers that Steve Nash routinely beat.

Because Ray is such a prolific rebounder. Yep.

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Ray Allen kicks Nick Youngs butt at rebounding as well, at age 36 with bad ankles. And Ray is as of now a below averge rebounder for the SG position.

When he was 27 he put up a 7.6 rebounding rate at SG, which is way way better than Nick Young will probably ever do, his career high was as a rookie with 5.8, since then all in the 4s...

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Since Ainge has decided to take the "Senior Citizens" route for next season I reckon Allen will be the answer to this quesiton.
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2012, 02:01:26 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I wouldn't be looking for too many rebounds from _any_ SG, especially in Doc's system.

My only concerns regarding Nick Young have more to do with what is or is not going on in that head of his.

Right now, my preference would be Ray Allen by a huge margin.

If Ray walks, I am still not certain I want Nick Young.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton

He isn't there to assist and distribute the ball to others. We have Rondo for that. Both Ray and Nick can score. Neither can defend. Ray will be 37 in about 2 weeks, Nick Young is 27. Give me Young.
thing wit young is he literally doesnt look to pass da ball at all i seen dude ignore an open player nd shoot a corner 3 ova double teams multiple times

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
The only redeeming quality about Marquis Daniels is that you can DNP him for 4 weeks straight, he won't complain, and then you can throw him into the lineup and he'll produce as if he had been starting the past month.  Which is why he should never start.

Hahaha.  Tommy Point for you.  This literally made me sputter what I was drinking all down the front of my shirt.  Now I have to change.  Thank you.  lol

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
The clips are reportedly interested in Ryan Hollins. Could the C's use him in a S&T to get Nick Young? Maybe sign Hollins to 3mil per and Young to 4.5 mil. Maybe throw in a second rounder to sweeten the deal for the clips.

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The clips are reportedly interested in Ryan Hollins. Could the C's use him in a S&T to get Nick Young? Maybe sign Hollins to 3mil per and Young to 4.5 mil. Maybe throw in a second rounder to sweeten the deal for the clips.
We don't have bird rights to Ryan Hollins.

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2012, 10:41:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

And even if we did, I can't imagine a team would give him $3 million.  Hollins is a minimum player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

And even if we did, I can't imagine a team would give him $3 million.  Hollins is a minimum player.
I somewhere something about Hollins for the BAE which I thought was, optimistic for Hollins.