Author Topic: All Time Great Fantasy Draft  (Read 43273 times)

Re: All Time Great Fantasy Draft
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2019, 09:32:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I say yes.

But we need to lay out a few rules first

How long to make your pick. Trades? Snake format?
I think anywhere between 20-45 minutes to make a pick is fine, and I definitely think there should be a period between the release of the draft order and the actual draft where trading is allowed.

Snake format is definitely the way I think
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I say yes.

I think anywhere between 20-45 minutes to make a pick is fine, and I definitely think there should be a period between the release of the draft order and the actual draft where trading is allowed.

I liked the way they did the snake format in the past. Double snake was it called?

Team that picks first goes last in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Then reverts to pick first in 4th, pick last in 5th, pick first in 6th, pick last in 7th ... and so on.

Just gave teams who pick late more of an equalizer versus the teams that pick first. That double snake format.

« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2019, 10:20:18 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
In the past we've had a draft for team names. Usually the opposite of the actual order of the draft.

I thought it would be better to pick your team name along with your first round pick. So if you can take a team name that suits (or is synonymous) with that player. Like if you take Duncan, you might want to pick San Antonio Spurs as team name or Olajuwon and Houston or Bird and Boston. Or Magic and the Lakers.

Not sure if others like that or not. Just a thought.

« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2019, 10:24:58 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Not sure if the draft was decided as evening or afternoon, but I saw myself and a few others were happier with early evening versus later in the evening.

A shorter time between picks would make things a lot easier for me in the evenings. Say 10 minutes between picks. That would take it from 7pm to 9pm. More manageable.

10 minutes between picks worked well in previous drafts.

Much longer than that and there is a lot of waiting around.

« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I say yes.

I liked the way they did the snake format in the past. Double snake was it called?

Team that picks first goes last in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Then reverts to pick first in 4th, pick last in 5th, pick first in 6th, pick last in 7th ... and so on.

Just gave teams who pick late more of an equalizer versus the teams that pick first. That double snake format.
The double snake was used exclusively in the CB Draft and that was because with 30 players and only using current talent, the drop off in talent gets pretty significant after just 10-15 players and then another dropoff again in the 2nd round. Sometimes early 2nd round. So we went with the double snake in the 3rd round to combat the talent imbalance.

But for the Historical Draft, we never did that as we had usually just 16 players and we're choosing for the greatest players ever so the talent drop off isn't nearly as it would be choosing from just the current players.

This could be just 10-12 players. There is zero need for a double snake draft here.

« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
So what is our start day.

30 mins between picks. Snake format. Team names draft a reverse order of the main draft. Period of 2 days between draft lottery and draft for pre draft trading?

« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

30 mins between picks. Snake format. Team names draft a reverse order of the main draft. Period of 2 days between draft lottery and draft for pre draft trading?
30 minutes per pick is way too much. 15 max. 10 minutes preferable.

Regarding rules. It is your game so write up the rules.  Maybe go to old CB Drafts or Pick2 Drafts or Historical Drafts to see how rules have been drawn out for past games. You could probably cut and paste a bunch of stuff there to make things easy.

« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

I think one day between lottery and draft. Any rules on who we can draft?  Can we literally draft anyone who has ever played?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2019, 06:07:57 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I think one day between lottery and draft. Any rules on who we can draft?  Can we literally draft anyone who has ever played?

Anyone ever.

« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2019, 09:12:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Anyone ever.
Yep, though I do think you need to pick the season you want to use.  Adds a fair amount to actual team construction if you do that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Anyone ever.
Yep, though I do think you need to pick the season you want to use.  Adds a fair amount to actual team construction if you do that.
Yeah, I definitely like the idea of choosing a specific season.

« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2019, 09:37:37 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Anyone ever.

I don’t, so basically we are drafting the best one season player?  I like looking at their entire career and choosing the best player in my opinion.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2019, 09:39:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Anyone ever.

I don’t, so basically we are drafting the best one season player?  I like looking at their entire career and choosing the best player in my opinion.
Yeah, but in terms of the actual competitive aspect (like a playoff bracket type thing) I think it's hard to do that when you're looking at someone's whole career. Especially with guys who played forever, like MJ and Kareem.

« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2019, 09:49:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Anyone ever.

Yeah, but in terms of the actual competitive aspect (like a playoff bracket type thing) I think it's hard to do that when you're looking at someone's whole career. Especially with guys who played forever, like MJ and Kareem.
Plus someone like McHale is a lot more valuable since he was both an excellent starter and an excellent 6th man.  Depending on how your team shakes out, you might want 86-87 if you need a starting PF or 84-85 if you want a guy that was on the bench more. 

It also makes it far more interesting and gives someone who was incredible for a season or two, like say Brandon Roy, a real chance to be drafted, or a modern player like Giannis or Kawhi, or even someone like Ben Wallace whose career may not measure up, but who was an absolute monster for a few seasons.

Then of course there is the actual idea that you can simulate the games if you have actual seasons, something you can't do if you just pick a career.

I just like the complexity and the options that picking an actual season does. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2019, 02:34:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Anyone ever.

Plus someone like McHale is a lot more valuable since he was both an excellent starter and an excellent 6th man.  Depending on how your team shakes out, you might want 86-87 if you need a starting PF or 84-85 if you want a guy that was on the bench more. 

It also makes it far more interesting and gives someone who was incredible for a season or two, like say Brandon Roy, a real chance to be drafted, or a modern player like Giannis or Kawhi, or even someone like Ben Wallace whose career may not measure up, but who was an absolute monster for a few seasons.

Then of course there is the actual idea that you can simulate the games if you have actual seasons, something you can't do if you just pick a career.

I just like the complexity and the options that picking an actual season does.
Agreed. Btw can we pick a player who was drafted by a team ahead of us in a different season? Like if the team selects 96 Jordan we go with 97 Jordan.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA