Author Topic: If I had a chance to trade Smart For Elfrid Peyton I would do it in a heartbeat  (Read 97770 times)

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Real point guard, good size, good defender, great penetration, good raw skill, amazing floor leader. He is going to be really good.

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I personally don't think Marcus Smart is going to be that good but at least give the kid a chance. Elfrid Payton is good but he has no jumper.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:28:58 AM by celticmania »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
If you think Smart's shooting is bad...

The two are in pretty similar places.  Good prospects with one elite skill and several warts to work out. payton had played a lot more minutes so he is a bit further along, but I'd call it a wash.

Great words from a great man

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
I personally don't think Marcus Smart is going to be  good but at least give the kid a chance. Elfrid Payton is good but he has no jumper.

I think Marcus is smart is A defensive Nate Robinson if that makes any sense, Nate can come in a rack up points better than a lot of starters

Marcus Smart can make many plays that most players cant, but i dont think he can be a starting point guard for a solid team

Elfird Peyton is smooth calm collected......if he can develop a good offensive game he can be somewhere in between Rondo and ironically Gary Payton (type of player, not exactly better than those guys)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
EP has started almost as many games as Smart has just appeared in. Played in 40 total games vs Smarts 22 games and so far shooting worse also at 6 more minutes per game only .5pts better. He is also no way near the defender Smart is. He does have more ast and reb per but given teams and playing style that is expected. No way I choose EP over Smart.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If you think Smart's shooting is bad...

The two are in pretty similar places.  Good prospects with one elite skill and several warts to work out. payton had played a lot more minutes so he is a bit further along, but I'd call it a wash.
Smart is shooting 35% from 3 with respectable eFG% and TS% (largely due to his effectiveness from 3).

Still, he cannot generate his own offense.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I personally don't think Marcus Smart is going to be  good but at least give the kid a chance. Elfrid Payton is good but he has no jumper.

I think Marcus is smart is A defensive Nate Robinson if that makes any sense, Nate can come in a rack up points better than a lot of starters

Marcus Smart can make many plays that most players cant, but i dont think he can be a starting point guard for a solid team

Elfird Peyton is smooth calm collected......if he can develop a good offensive game he can be somewhere in between Rondo and ironically Gary Payton (type of player, not exactly better than those guys)
Nate could generate his own offense. Smart cannot do this yet. Most of Smart's scoring this year has been catch and shoot from 3. More than half of his shots have been 3s and he is shooting 35% from three.

Nate, on the other hand, could score many ways. He could get to the rim and he had a midrange game. He was far more dynamic scoring.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Nate could generate his own offense. Smart cannot do this yet. Most of Smart's scoring this year has been catch and shoot from 3. More than half of his shots have been 3s and he is shooting 35% from three.

Nate, on the other hand, could score many ways. He could get to the rim and he had a midrange game. He was far more dynamic scoring.

im not comparing him to nate robinson in the way you compared him.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
EP has started almost as many games as Smart has just appeared in. Played in 40 total games vs Smarts 22 games and so far shooting worse also at 6 more minutes per game only .5pts better. He is also no way near the defender Smart is. He does have more ast and reb per but given teams and playing style that is expected. No way I choose EP over Smart.

I don't care about the stats, I watch Payton play, and Smart.....I Like Payton, keyword is I like , but still I think he will be better for sure, i dont think orlando would do it, but i bet boston would.

And Payton is a pretty [dang] good defender.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Real point guard, good size, good defender, great penetration, good raw skill, amazing floor leader. He is going to be really good.

I'd fire your butt if I owned the team & you made some stupid trade like that as GM. In fact, I'd fire my own self for hiring someone who'd even think of trading Smart.

Smarts a winner. He's got everything you described in your post, except you forgot one important thing. Heart. You can't teach what he's got already at 20 years old.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

I'd fire your butt if I owned the team & you made some stupid trade like that as GM. In fact, I'd fire my own self for hiring someone who'd even think of trading Smart.

Smarts a winner. He's got everything you described in your post, except you forgot one important thing. Heart. You can't teach what he's got already at 20 years old.

Not only did you not make sense with this post. You proved nothing.

Im lucky that I already expect these types of responses from fellow Celtic Fans.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Payton's playing better, but I'd rather see if Smart has the goods.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

If he's a winner, why does his team have a losing record?

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I don't care about the stats, I watch Payton play, and Smart.....I Like Payton, keyword is I like , but still I think he will be better for sure, i dont think orlando would do it, but i bet boston would.

Stats were only one part, style of game is huge. Magic play different than C's and allow EP to make more decisions with the ball. Smart hasn't had the same playing time or freedom just wait till Smart gets 40 games under his belt.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Stats were only one part, style of game is huge. Magic play different than C's and allow EP to make more decisions with the ball. Smart hasn't had the same playing time or freedom just wait till Smart gets 40 games under his belt.
I agree.  Payton has had a bigger role.  We should give smart time. I think he's going to be a really nice player eventually.