Author Topic: Interesting observation from the player formerly known as C-Webb  (Read 3432 times)

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
(Transcribed from the TNT broadcast by The Association NBA Blog)
Quote from: The Association
Ernie: You've been in that locker room with Flip Sauders at halftime, what is the mood in there now.

C-Webb: Truthfully, no disrespect against Flip but it doesn't matter what Flip says because they take on the personality of Joe Dumars. So I'll tell you this: Rip, Chauncey, Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed and McDyess are very mad right now, they're probably not even talking and they're probably just saying, "okay we're going to go win this ballgame."

Joe will come down to the locker room though and tell everybody, "I don't know what y'all think you're doing. I'll trade all y'all today." Joe will do that.

Thats exactly the reason I started reading online NBA Blogs in the first place. People have been saying for years that Flip Saunders doesn't really have the ears of the Pistons, but i think most people thought Rasheed Wallace was the voice to be heard in that locker room when they're down 10 at the half in the playoffs.

Makes you wonder which other GM/owners/CEO's come down for the kick in the arse half time schpiel. Larry Bird? He's been said to never be around the team. I don't think Danny Ainge does that. Mark Cuban I think obviously does it. Steve Kerr? I can't think of another guy with the spine and strength of personality that Joey D has in a position of leadership like that that isn't a coach.

Also Thank you to FLCeltsFan for finding the original article

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Interesting observation from the player formerly known as C-Webb
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ernie: You've been in that locker room with Flip Sauders at halftime, what is the mood in there now.

C-Webb: Truthfully, no disrespect against Flip but it doesn't matter what Flip says because they take on the personality of Joe Dumars. So I'll tell you this: Rip, Chauncey, Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed and McDyess are very mad right now, they're probably not even talking and they're probably just saying, "okay we're going to go win this ballgame."

Joe will come down to the locker room though and tell everybody, "I don't know what y'all think you're doing. I'll trade all y'all today." Joe will do that.

Thats exactly the reason I started reading online NBA Blogs in the first place. People have been saying for years that Flip Saunders doesn't really have the ears of the Pistons, but i think most people thought Rasheed Wallace was the voice to be heard in that locker room when they're down 10 at the half in the playoffs.

Makes you wonder which other GM/owners/CEO's come down for the kick in the arse half time schpiel. Larry Bird? He's been said to never be around the team. I don't think Danny Ainge does that. Mark Cuban I think obviously does it. Steve Kerr? I can't think of another guy with the spine and strength of personality that Joey D has in a position of leadership like that that isn't a coach.

I brought up just this point on the "If you aren't already watching Phil/Det game, do so" while it was happening live. I love the way that Charles tried to counterpoint C Webb's point when he's never even been in the Pistons lockerroom and Webber has.

Webber went on to say something to the effect that it was Joe Dumar's team and he wouldn't hesitate to go in the lockerroom at halftime and tell the players they better get their stuff together or he'll trade every last one of them. Or something to that effect.

Sounds like Flip could be unemployed if the Pistons implode again this post season.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266

I was watching this on TNT last night also.I never thought Flip had much control over this group,the first team anyhow.But in the statement you made about,you can't think of any other personality or guy who has the spine like Dumars,in a position of leadership that isn't the coach,well i think MJ for the Bobcats,is that type of guy,especially if his team was in the position  the Pistons are in .MJ strikes me as a kick-butt type guy,and with being part owner,he would feel like,its his money they are losing.  

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I was watching this on TNT last night also.I never thought Flip had much control over this group,the first team anyhow.But in the statement you made about,you can't think of any other personality or guy who has the spine like Dumars,in a position of leadership that isn't the coach,well i think MJ for the Bobcats,is that type of guy,especially if his team for in the position as the Pistons are in right now.MJ strikes me as a kick-butt type guys,and with being part owner,he would feel like,its his money they are losing.  
Good example jay-jay, you're definitely right about MJ but he'd have to have a team that could actually make it to the playoffs first.

I forget if it was Van Gundy or not but the color commentator, who I think was a former coach, said that he had never heard of a Gm going into a lockerroom at halftime ever before. Maybe it would show up the coach and lose the coach control over his team.

Either way I think it just sends the wrong message to the team.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I was watching this on TNT last night also.I never thought Flip had much control over this group,the first team anyhow.But in the statement you made about,you can't think of any other personality or guy who has the spine like Dumars,in a position of leadership that isn't the coach,well i think MJ for the Bobcats,is that type of guy,especially if his team for in the position as the Pistons are in right now.MJ strikes me as a kick-butt type guys,and with being part owner,he would feel like,its his money they are losing. 
Good example jay-jay, you're definitely right about MJ but he'd have to have a team that could actually make it to the playoffs first.

I forget if it was Van Gundy or not but the color commentator, who I think was a former coach, said that he had never heard of a Gm going into a lockerroom at halftime ever before. Maybe it would show up the coach and lose the coach control over his team.

Either way I think it just sends the wrong message to the team.

I think because Joe D bleeds pistons blue it doesn't hurt the team. The egos on that squad seem to know who their boss is and who their coach is, and they don't seem to confuse the two. But in the case of Dumars, where he hand picked every guy on this roster, it may even be a benefit for this squad.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner