Author Topic: Pelicans (14-14) at Celtics (15-10) Game #26 12/10/18  (Read 36383 times)

Re: Pelicans (14-14) at Celtics (15-10) Game #26 12/10/18
« Reply #600 on: December 11, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Brad in the post game being asked what he thought of Robert’s defense on Anthony Davis:   “Well he held him to 41...”

Brad got jokes.

He played ok. The two blocks don't make up for the many points he gave up. Fundamentals aren't flashy, but Brad teaches them.

All of this. Kid shows a lot of promise, but he’s still very raw.

Absolutely, but holding Davis to 15 pts on 17 shots is quite an accomplishment for your first extended assignment.  Also, what impressed me the most were that the two blocks were Bill Russell blocks.  He kept the ball in play and initiated a transition opportunity each time, and thats a pretty rare skill these days.
i like the kid.  He’s the prototypical long defensive center with freak athleticism that I was desperate to add before the league totally changed.  2012 LarBrd33 is so hyped about Time Lord.

« Reply #601 on: December 11, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Brad in the post game being asked what he thought of Robert’s defense on Anthony Davis:   “Well he held him to 41...”

Brad got jokes.

He played ok. The two blocks don't make up for the many points he gave up. Fundamentals aren't flashy, but Brad teaches them.

Absolutely, but holding Davis to 15 pts on 17 shots is quite an accomplishment for your first extended assignment.  Also, what impressed me the most were that the two blocks were Bill Russell blocks.  He kept the ball in play and initiated a transition opportunity each time, and thats a pretty rare skill these days.
i like the kid.  He’s the prototypical long defensive center with freak athleticism that I was desperate to add before the league totally changed.  2012 LarBrd33 is so hyped about Time Lord.

I was more into the do-everything, long, defensive, power point forwards myself.

All aboard the Anthony Randolph Hype Train. This is your conductor 2012 Smartacus telling you Magic Randolph is going to be run this league!

« Reply #602 on: December 11, 2018, 07:50:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Brad got jokes.

Don’t you mean 2016 LarBrd33??? Since you were still proclaiming Noel to be a future superstar that year. So why the discrepancy?

« Reply #603 on: December 11, 2018, 09:13:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Brad got jokes.

Don’t you mean 2016 LarBrd33??? Since you were still proclaiming Noel to be a future superstar that year. So why the discrepancy?
i don’t recall saying that.  You’re probably misremembering things. 

« Reply #604 on: December 11, 2018, 11:18:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Brad got jokes.

Pretty sure you said he would be a defensive superstar because I remember agreeing with you. He was phenomenal defensively his rookie year. Think he had almost 2 steals and 2 blocks per game as a rookie which was unheard of. Overall superstar, yeah, I don't think you said that. I mean it was painfully obvious Nerlens would never be a very good offensive player. My hope was he could be a Marcus Camby. Unfortunately. Nerlens brought a bunch of his hood bozos from Everett with him and let them influence him. If Nerlens had his brother Jim's intelligence, work ethic and drive, he would have been a superstar. Too bad he was more like his brother Rodman.

« Reply #605 on: December 12, 2018, 02:21:40 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
I'm just happy to see LB back engaging us with very specific examples and explanations on various subjects. This place can get boring with all the generalities...and I know I sure do not help.
its Christmas time.  I missed my old friends.

Are you quitting Reddit?
No.  I got a stalker over there who is following me around trying to cyber bully me into killing myself, so I'm hiding out over here until that's taken care of.

It's good to see all the old familiar faces and this forum living on post celticsblog.

Jeez...maybe Reddit has too many young fans...

There's always a place for you here!

« Reply #606 on: December 12, 2018, 03:00:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Brad got jokes.

Pretty sure you said he would be a defensive superstar because I remember agreeing with you. He was phenomenal defensively his rookie year. Think he had almost 2 steals and 2 blocks per game as a rookie which was unheard of. Overall superstar, yeah, I don't think you said that. I mean it was painfully obvious Nerlens would never be a very good offensive player. My hope was he could be a Marcus Camby. Unfortunately. Nerlens brought a bunch of his hood bozos from Everett with him and let them influence him. If Nerlens had his brother Jim's intelligence, work ethic and drive, he would have been a superstar. Too bad he was more like his brother Rodman.
he had the potential to be elite defensively. Probably could have had a career like Tyson chandler, but the league has changed in the last couple years.   There’s still some bigs out their that primarily function as interior defenders.  Hopefully Robert finds a long term role.

« Reply #607 on: December 12, 2018, 06:23:58 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27

Brad got jokes.

he had the potential to be elite defensively. Probably could have had a career like Tyson chandler, but the league has changed in the last couple years.   There’s still some bigs out their that primarily function as interior defenders.  Hopefully Robert finds a long term role.

Rob is different though. He's as tall as Mook - 6'8 to 6'9-ish. But with freakishly long arms.

Seems he could do shuttle runs - switch onto a guard, then run into the paint and block a shot.

« Reply #608 on: December 12, 2018, 06:53:07 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Brad got jokes.

Rob is different though. He's as tall as Mook - 6'8 to 6'9-ish. But with freakishly long arms.

Seems he could do shuttle runs - switch onto a guard, then run into the paint and block a shot.

This. I'm not hoping for Williams to lead the league in blocks. I'm hoping that he continues his promise to defend in space while protecting the rim. Anything else he gives is just gravy for me.
#JKJB

« Reply #609 on: December 12, 2018, 07:13:00 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Brad got jokes.

You are underrating his passing and the upside he has in developing his shooting from 3-10 feet, maybe a bit further.  He can contribute some on offense while being All-Defense caliber. 

EDIT: Assuming he continues to develop.  Obviously not now.  But I think we should be finding some occasional minutes for him right now, and have since Day 1.  Even if just garbage time.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #610 on: December 12, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
You are underrating his passing and the upside he has in developing his shooting from 3-10 feet, maybe a bit further.  He can contribute some on offense while being All-Defense caliber. 

EDIT: Assuming he continues to develop.  Obviously not now.  But I think we should be finding some occasional minutes for him right now, and have since Day 1.  Even if just garbage time.

3-10 feet is like Perk range. I assume he will be able to at least extend out to 15+ if he works hard. Here is an interesting video on Williams' jumpshot. If you want to remain hyped about him, I suggest you go to like the 3:40 mark - the first part is pretty rough.

All problems seem to stem from mechanics, though - which should be reasonably fixable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNDFL7fXfEc