Poll

Would you be interested in any of these players? Feel free to vote for as many players as you want.

Bismack Biyombo
16 (8.5%)
Andrew Bogut (currently playing in Australia)
5 (2.7%)
Trey Burke
5 (2.7%)
Allen Crabbe
3 (1.6%)
Jamal Crawford (free agent)
6 (3.2%)
Matthew Dellavedova
7 (3.7%)
Wayne Ellington
13 (6.9%)
Keneth Farried (free agent)
6 (3.2%)
Yogi Ferrell
2 (1.1%)
Tim Frazier (waived)
1 (0.5%)
Marcin Gortat (free agent)
3 (1.6%)
John Henson
8 (4.3%)
Amir Johnson (free agent)
1 (0.5%)
Tyler Johnson
5 (2.7%)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 (1.6%)
Brandon Knight
0 (0%)
Ian Mahinmi
6 (3.2%)
Joakim Noah (free agent)
7 (3.7%)
Zaza Pachulia (free agent)
0 (0%)
Isaiah Thomas
17 (9%)
Tristan Thompson
34 (18.1%)
Evan Turner
13 (6.9%)
Marvin Williams
17 (9%)
other (please name below)
2 (1.1%)
Jonah Bolden (waived)
2 (1.1%)
Reggie Jackson
0 (0%)
I'd rather we sign no one.
5 (2.7%)
DeMarre Carroll
1 (0.5%)
Dragan Bender (waived)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Poll: Buyout candidates, free agents  (Read 23921 times)

Re: Poll: Buyout candidates, free agents
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2020, 09:52:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1226663495409766405?s=21

That's interesting. I've always liked Johnson as a backup guard.
Right there with you. Think he’s better than Wanamaker for sure. Or at least he was
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2020, 12:41:08 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Bismack Biyombo getting bought out. Celtics should certainly pick him up

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2020, 12:50:17 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

That was my vote in the poll....good defender...injury insurance for Theis and Kanter...and let's see if he can get minutes and help out some on the way to the playoffs.  Wouldn't be surprised if we had to compete with Houston for him...

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2020, 01:33:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That was my vote in the poll....good defender...injury insurance for Theis and Kanter...and let's see if he can get minutes and help out some on the way to the playoffs.  Wouldn't be surprised if we had to compete with Houston for him...
I like Biyombo. He's probably a bit more reliable than Rob at this stage, having been a substantial playoff contributor for Toronto a few years back.

He doesn't have the same otherworldly FG% that Rob does, but he's a marginally better FT shooter and has a better health record.

He's much better than VP, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2020, 08:03:33 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bismack Biyombo, 6'-8", 9 year career, average about 5 pts, 6 rebs in 20 minutes.  Eh.  So who do you cut to add him to the roster?  Ojeleye?  Poirier?

I guess money aside, you could cut Poirier and Bismack would give you more but Poirier is guaranteed for next season.  That gets you to Ojeleye who is a club option for next season and less per season.  I am not sure it is worth it to cut Semi just to bring in Bismack but maybe.

So consider cutting one of the smaller guys?  Carsen Edwards is guaranteed for 4 seasons so he isn't going anywhere.  Javonte Green has a two year deal but small money.  We are fine without Green but do we really want to create $1.5M of dead money for next season just for Bismack?

I am having a hard time talking myself into this.

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2020, 08:09:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, I don’t think Poirier will be cut.  His salary is useful in draft day trades.  If the Celtics were thinking of waving him to open up a roster spot, they would have just traded him at the deadline so as not to have to potentially pay tax on his salary next year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2020, 08:42:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Any interest in Tyler Johnson, reportedly about to be bought out by the Suns?
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28668152/sources-suns-waiving-guard-tyler-johnson-expected-draw-interest

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2020, 08:58:36 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly, with the emergence of Wanamaker lately, I think I'm fine cutting Green to bring in Biyombo.

Doesn't look like Thompson is getting bought out. Other than that, not sure who else I even want.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Any interest in Tyler Johnson, reportedly about to be bought out by the Suns?
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28668152/sources-suns-waiving-guard-tyler-johnson-expected-draw-interest
He looks like he's forgotten how to shoot over the last couple years.  I don't think we need him.

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2020, 10:59:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
At this point, it feels like the C’s aren’t going to add anyone.  Marvin Williams would seem to have been the most logical, given his skill set seems to fit with what the C’s were looking for (a 3-5 who can stretch the floor and not require touches outside of 3s and offensive rebounds.)  Kemba had been recruiting him to Boston and some quotes from Williams indicate he may have chosen Boston if offered.

Now perhaps Grant Williams’ season-long improvement made someone like Marvin unneeded.  Perhaps the C’s didn’t want 3 Williamses on their roster at once.  But that seemed to be the type of player the team would look for, and as they seem to have passed, it makes the buyout market seem even less likely.

I don’t think a one-way big like Biyombo is going to happen, unless the Celtics have some scouting/analytics that say he’s particularly adept at guarding one or two of the elite front court players we could see in the playoffs.  Perhaps they would like an additional ball handler to weather the inevitable Smart injury, or maybe a microwave scorer given the lack of scoring from our bench, but it just seems like this team is going to stand pat.

« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1226663495409766405?s=21
Wow Pat Reilly gave away some ridiculous contracts 3 years ago and was able to fix all his signings mistakes to open cap space next summer and still contend with Butler and role players

« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2020, 11:18:18 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
At this point, it feels like the C’s aren’t going to add anyone.  Marvin Williams would seem to have been the most logical, given his skill set seems to fit with what the C’s were looking for (a 3-5 who can stretch the floor and not require touches outside of 3s and offensive rebounds.)  Kemba had been recruiting him to Boston and some quotes from Williams indicate he may have chosen Boston if offered.

Now perhaps Grant Williams’ season-long improvement made someone like Marvin unneeded.  Perhaps the C’s didn’t want 3 Williamses on their roster at once.  But that seemed to be the type of player the team would look for, and as they seem to have passed, it makes the buyout market seem even less likely.

I don’t think a one-way big like Biyombo is going to happen, unless the Celtics have some scouting/analytics that say he’s particularly adept at guarding one or two of the elite front court players we could see in the playoffs.  Perhaps they would like an additional ball handler to weather the inevitable Smart injury, or maybe a microwave scorer given the lack of scoring from our bench, but it just seems like this team is going to stand pat.

Good post. Biyombo may have had good moments defensively in the past, but he hasn't been really good on that side of the court for several years. That's the reason why, even though he got that big contract, he still played limited minutes.

The other problem is that Biyombo doesn't have the hands or the passing ability to do hand-offs or backdoor cuts. He just isn't a skilled player. Robert Williams is a much more skilled player already than Biyombo, and arguably a better defender even with his mental lapses.

Biyombo would probably be a better option that Poirier, but I think Williams, Williams, Kanter, and Theis are all better options at center. Depending on matchups, maybe going really small would be better too.

I haven't seen anyone that really fits. Maybe Wayne Ellington, but his shooting doesn't make up for the rest of his game? Maybe Tyler Johnson, but the rest of his game doesn't make up for his shooting and defense?

« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2020, 01:06:51 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I've liked what I've seen from Omari Spellman. I admit I haven't seen him play a lot but when I've seen him he looks good. He's big and can shoot the three. Maybe too young to bring in on the playoff push but I like him as a prospect.

"According to Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis, the Timberwolves are in talks with Spellman's representation, with the possibility of waiving him."

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Spellman shooting 39.1% from three.

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2020, 11:33:31 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I've liked what I've seen from Omari Spellman. I admit I haven't seen him play a lot but when I've seen him he looks good. He's big and can shoot the three. Maybe too young to bring in on the playoff push but I like him as a prospect.

"According to Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis, the Timberwolves are in talks with Spellman's representation, with the possibility of waiving him."

I’d be shocked if Spellman cleared waivers.  His third year of his rookie deal is guaranteed next year, but it’s not much more than the vet minimum.  If I’m a bad team looking to acquire assets and have a $2 million trade exception/cap space, I would absolutely take a flyer on him.