Author Topic: Best prospects in the last 25 years  (Read 3670 times)

Re: Best prospects in the last 25 years
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Shaq is a good one, definitely top-5.

I would probably have Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, Oden, Iverson in some order for my top-5.

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'm unsure of the criteria here, so I'll just list my top 5 players of the past 25 years that I would start a team with in the modern NBA:
LeBron
Durant
Garnett
Webber
Giannis

In that order. I love CWebb as much as anyone (he's my all-time favorite player), but Garnett's defense and switchability (as well as not-quite-as-good-but-comparable playmaking skills) gives him the edge for me. I do think that if CWebb was in his prime now, he'd be, far and away, the best big man in the league.

Random thing: I made a post about 4 years ago about how my ideal Celtics rebuild would emulate the Adelman Kings, complete with a motion offense, big men who can distribute from the high post, and rangy, interchangeable wing players who could run in transition and add excitement. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with Brad Stevens' and Danny Ainge's vision for the team and how it is coming to fruition. I think the C's just need an elite, Webber-style 4 man to become a dynasty. I haven't seen enough of Bagley to determine if it's him. He seems a little less fluid and bouncy then Webber was at the same age.

EDIT: proof I'm not lying:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=73343.msg1728788#msg1728788
Duncan?

If I were starting a team today, I would prefer a 19-year-old KG over a 19-year-old Tim Duncan. The 3-point range and passing are very important to me (KG had two years shooting a high volume of 3's at ~33%, if I recall correctly). Same goes for Webber's passing and ability to handle the ball. Duncan definitely had the athleticism (which people forget), lockdown ability, and mid-low post scoring, but the threes and playmaking ability (elite in KG and Webber's case, only above average in Duncan's) make the difference in 2018. If all three had stayed healthy, I think KG and CWebb would have definitely been in Duncan territory for both rings and counting stats. Since this is a "prospect rank," I'm giving the big men's knees the benefit of the doubt.
You’re confusing the topic.  Not about starting a team.  Question is about the best prospect and KG had four better prospects in his own draft.
He had 4 guys picked before him in the 1995. I'm not sure which 4 prospects were better than him that year.
Well after the fact, the answer is none.  But if we’re going to use that criteria then why use the word prospect at all?  Why not just say the best player and call it a day?

I concur.  Most of the analysis seems to be best player oriented, but the title is best prospect, which to me means that you have to basically ignore their NBA careers.  The 2 not yet mentioned guys that stick out to me are Iverson & Wall. 

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 04:05:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
So my nominees for who I or GMs would have bet on for the Hall of Fame coming into the league going back to 1992.....

Ben Simmons
Karl Anthony Towns
Andrew Wiggins
Anthony Davis
John Wall
Derrick Rose
Greg Oden
Chris Paul
LeBron
Duncan
Iverson
M Camby
Jerry Stackhouse
Jason Kidd
Grant Hill
Webber
Shaq
Laetner   

Guys I argued with myself about a bit before leaving them out as nominees
Vince Carter
Paul Pierce
Yao Ming
Jay Williams
Shane Battier
Melo
Emeka Okafor
Dwight Howard
Adam Morrison
Starbury
Ray Allen
Kerry Kittles
Joakim Noah
Steve Francis

Kinda hard to narrow it down or even rank it

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So my nominees for who I or GMs would have bet on for the Hall of Fame coming into the league going back to 1992.....

Ben Simmons
Karl Anthony Towns
Andrew Wiggins
Anthony Davis
John Wall
Derrick Rose
Greg Oden
Chris Paul
LeBron
Duncan
Iverson
M Camby
Jerry Stackhouse
Jason Kidd
Grant Hill
Webber
Shaq
Laetner   

Guys I argued with myself about a bit before leaving them out as nominees
Vince Carter
Paul Pierce
Yao Ming
Jay Williams
Shane Battier
Melo
Emeka Okafor
Dwight Howard
Adam Morrison
Starbury
Ray Allen
Kerry Kittles
Joakim Noah
Steve Francis

Kinda hard to narrow it down or even rank it

That's an interesting list. But what odds are they betting on. Or is it more of a straight yes/no question?

My guess is that if you could get a GM to answer that kind of question honestly, there would be very few 'yes' answers to the name on that list.

Davis
LeBron
Duncan
Webber
Shaq

I think those are the only names you'd get an honest 'yes' for.