Author Topic: Celtics numbers that should be un-retired  (Read 7190 times)

Celtics numbers that should be un-retired
« on: September 19, 2018, 11:32:21 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
# 1 Walter Brown - Celtics owner. He should have his name on a banner like Loscy.

# 2 Red - Put a cigar on a banner, like the microphone for Most.

# 3 DJ - Good player. Helped us get 2 titles. 1x all-star with us. Just not enough.

# 16 Satch - Good player and multiple champion, but never an all-star

# 19 Nelson - Him, KC Jones, and Ramsey are arguably the least worthy.

# 23 Ramsey - See above.

# 25 KC - Never an all-star. As a coach ran our stars into the ground season after season.

# 31 Maxwell - Finals MVP, but just not good enough to make the cut.

# 35 Lewis - His unfortunate passing shouldn't give him an automatic entry. He was great, but just not enough time played.

I do think KG's 5 and Ainge's 44 (especially if he wins another as a GM) should be retired.

Re: Celtics numbers that should be un-retired
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
this would in reality be a very tricky business - peoples feelings would be hurt and it'd be hard for the franchise to do this in any way and not look bad.

unless they just un-retire all of them , come up w a different system of honoring people, like what you mention for red and walter brown.

otherwise it'd be ugly.

but i agree, something needs to give eventually.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
What's done is done.

I wouldn't "un-retire" any of them.   That ship sailed a long time ago when the organization decided how they were going to do things.  You can make it more stringent going forward but I wouldn't go back and "un-retire" now unless you had the person's okay on it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What's done is done.

I wouldn't "un-retire" any of them.   That ship sailed a long time ago when the organization decided how they were going to do things.  You can make it more stringent going forward but I wouldn't go back and "un-retire" now unless you had the person's okay on it.
Right on the mark. You can't unretire numbers. I also disagree with most of the reasons Eddie gave for doing it. You don't have to be an All-Star or have eye popping numbers to be an all time Celtic great.

Look at it this way, if Smart spends the next 6 years as a Celtic winning a couple of titles as the team's sixth man/defensive bulldog/leader while posting numbers similar to what he has already posted, he probably deserves to have his number retired. No All-Star. No DPOY awards. Just an all time Celtic great.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
What's done is done.

Right on the mark. You can't unretire numbers. I also disagree with most of the reasons Eddie gave for doing it. You don't have to be an All-Star or have eye popping numbers to be an all time Celtic great.

Look at it this way, if Smart spends the next 6 years as a Celtic winning a couple of titles as the team's sixth man/defensive bulldog/leader while posting numbers similar to what he has already posted, he probably deserves to have his number retired. No All-Star. No DPOY awards. Just an all time Celtic great.

Exactly. If Smart has that career and doesn't improve his game then he does not deserve his number retired. These players should be Celtic greats, not just good players. However, if he ends up being a head coach and/or GM and is successful then I could get aboard for his overall body of work.

We've set the bar really low with retired numbers. Be decent, win a couple of times as a reserve, and you're in. The numbers our guys will have to chose from in say 20 years is going to be laughable.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Put me in the "Leave things as they are." column.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
What's done is done.

Exactly. If Smart has that career and doesn't improve his game then he does not deserve his number retired. These players should be Celtic greats, not just good players. However, if he ends up being a head coach and/or GM and is successful then I could get aboard for his overall body of work.

We've set the bar really low with retired numbers. Be decent, win a couple of times as a reserve, and you're in. The numbers our guys will have to chose from in say 20 years is going to be laughable.

Dennis Johnson wasn't a reserve.  He played for 7 years in Boston, starting 607 of 632 games for us and was a critical part of two NBA titles.   He was a great basketball player.   He was a 5 time All Star for his career and 3 time World Champion.  Just because he didn't get more than the one AS nod during that time doesn't mean anything other than at that point there were one or two more popular guards in the East.   Anybody who was paying attention knows that on a team with guys like Bird and McHale, DJ's job wasn't to post gaudy scoring numbers.  That, plus the perennial-All-Star stature of his teammates was always going to work against him for getting AS votes.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
# 1 Walter Brown - Celtics owner. He should have his name on a banner like Loscy.

# 3 DJ - Good player. Helped us get 2 titles. 1x all-star with us. Just not enough.

# 23 Ramsey - See above.

# 25 KC - Never an all-star. As a coach ran our stars into the ground season after season.

# 35 Lewis - His unfortunate passing shouldn't give him an automatic entry. He was great, but just not enough time played.

I do think KG's 5 and Ainge's 44 (especially if he wins another as a GM) should be retired.

I agree with those who said what's done is done but for the sake of conversation I agree with all but Reggie Lewis and DJ, those are deserving to be in the rafters.

Interesting note on Most's microphone in the rafters, i never knew this. Tried looking for a pic but nothing came up, but was referenced multiple times in articles to have happened.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
None.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 01:12:00 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114

# 23 Ramsey - See above.

I agree with those who said what's done is done but for the sake of conversation I agree with all but Reggie Lewis and DJ, those are deserving to be in the rafters.

Interesting note on Most's microphone in the rafters, i never knew this. Tried looking for a pic but nothing came up, but was referenced multiple times in articles to have happened.

From IMDB:

"Honored with the permanent installation at Boston Garden of his microphone, silver-plated and encased in a Celtic-green frame, to the facade of the radio booth, the vantage point Most always described as "high above courtside." [December 1990]"

I'm pretty sure it was brought over to the "new" Garden. Seems like I have seen it outside a booth in the uppermost boxes.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0609187/bio
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
this would in reality be a very tricky business - peoples feelings would be hurt and it'd be hard for the franchise to do this in any way and not look bad.

unless they just un-retire all of them , come up w a different system of honoring people, like what you mention for red and walter brown.

otherwise it'd be ugly.

but i agree, something needs to give eventually.
why? there is a LOT of time before the celtics come close to running out of numbers.

the celtics have retired a total of 21 numbers over some 70 years. that leaves 79 number left to use. there is not a real shortage of available numbers.

at the above rate, in another 70 some years, there will still be well over 50 active numbers for players to choose from.

p.s. without the OP providing us with any rhyme or reason or basis for his choices it is hard to know whom to de-select and whom to leave in.

KG, only one championship? why put him in but others with more championships are taken out?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 03:27:34 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I would change Red and Brown to last names to make #1 and #2 usable, but no more than that
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 03:31:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

# 23 Ramsey - See above.

From IMDB:

"Honored with the permanent installation at Boston Garden of his microphone, silver-plated and encased in a Celtic-green frame, to the facade of the radio booth, the vantage point Most always described as "high above courtside." [December 1990]"

I'm pretty sure it was brought over to the "new" Garden. Seems like I have seen it outside a booth in the uppermost boxes.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0609187/bio

Yeah, its way up there at TD.  It's hanging above the 330/301 area of the arena, I believe. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 03:41:15 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
What's done is done.

I know this is apples to oranges, but the New York Yankees have every single digit number retired. I don’t see jersey numbers as a deal breaker for players.