Author Topic: Chris Mannix thinks NBA season can continue in Vegas sometime in the summer  (Read 15131 times)

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Latest news on this is that the NBA is now only seriously considering Las Vegas for any playoff tournament.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
So bucks two best players don't have access to a basketball hoop. This seems good for a tourney. Maybe the Celtics win the east.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257772/Giannis-Antetokounmpo-Doesnt-Have-Access-To-Basketball-Hoop-During-Stay-At-Home

lol

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So bucks two best players don't have access to a basketball hoop. This seems good for a tourney. Maybe the Celtics win the east.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257772/Giannis-Antetokounmpo-Doesnt-Have-Access-To-Basketball-Hoop-During-Stay-At-Home

lol

I doubt a lot of our best players have much more access.  Kemba just moved to Boston, so might not have found a mansion with a basketball court immediately, and a lot of our other players are on their rookie deals and might not have invested in a house with such facilities.  Most of them probably live in fancy urban condos as opposed to suburban expanses that they could even put up an outdoor hoop on.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hypothetical Question for the group here. If this goes on June first and the Oklahoma City Thunder destroy the Clippers 2-0 in the second round because they are much closer to basketball shape having been able to go to gyms and work with trainers and play with each other for 6 weeks while the Clippers entire city was shut down, would people feel that was an issue in determining a champion? (I don't want to debate this exact scenario speculating which cities will be shut down and which won't, but the cities are certainly going to have different peaks and restrictions over the next two months and that is not really debatable)

No issue

teams will need to strategize a little differently than previous playoffs.  In that its basically game 7 from the get go

there will be also no home court advantage.  So this is something else they would need to adjust to

tbh there is like a 10 percent more chance of upsets happening. But odds are, that the top teams (one of the top 4 seeds) will meet in the finals

Vegas would be a home game for the Lakers. It is not even vaguely neutral.

LeBron, Silver, and the rest of the Lakers would be thrilled with this plan I'm sure.

IMO it would not be a legitimate championship if they won.

how would this be an advantage when it will be games without fans in attendance?

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Latest news on this is that the NBA is now only seriously considering Las Vegas for any playoff tournament.

The peak has to lower, social distancing relaxed and NBA would need to plan the crap out of this. Have quick and multiple testing capability (and results on the spot).  Prevent any fan interaction. 

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think after what the next month brings, the NBA will just shut down all talk of resuming this season. 

My vote is to end the season ASAP - this is a historic and catastrophic event. The right thing to do is call it quits. Let players and owners take care of their employees, devote time to organizing Covid support wherever they can, and plan for 2020-21. Put the NBA full-on into helping the country. 

During WW2 baseball continued and was a positive distraction for some, but players weren't putting themselves at risk by playing. If you listen to Dr. Fauci, even when we can loosen some of the movement restrictions, social distancing and sensible interacting will be in play for a very long time. I don't like the idea of hundreds of players in each others faces for a month.  I would think the chance of an outbreak would be very high.

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The NBA may be a huge global business with a ton of money. But boy, if they decide to hold a tournament and then more players or staff get sick and tested positive, it'll look really, really bad. I agree with @Tr1boy, I think by the end of this month, the NBA needs to make an actual decision. NHL as well. I've always felt they will both either cancel, or resume. I doubt we'd see one league resume and the other doesn't. And by the end of the month, we should have an idea as to where we are. If the rates keep climbing, then this whole summer might be more of the same sadly
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1246282349022597120?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The NBA is "angling" to cancel the 2019-20 season after China's CBA shutdown, per
@WindhorstESPN

"There is a significant amount of pessimism right now."
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1246282349022597120?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The NBA is "angling" to cancel the 2019-20 season after China's CBA shutdown, per
@WindhorstESPN

This feels like a bit of a 180?

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

@WindhorstESPN

Maybe they put out the earlier reports of a possible Vegas tournament to gauge the response...and it wasn't good. If the Bruins aren't going to get their Stanley Cup, at least the Lakers won't be NBA champions either.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

@WindhorstESPN

Most likely they had a problem with:

1. Logistics
2. Health models that showed the coronavirus wouldn't abate enough to allow travel for all needed league, television, radio and support people
3. Team owners wanting to risk their employees
4. Players not wanting to be involved

And all the pushback demonstrated it wasn't a viable idea.

At this point, do away with the draft combine, have the draft like the old days(over the phone, no central meeting place, no grand show, no congregation of players and family) and just do it with video conferencing on television.

Then try to get the season started on time, if possible.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

@WindhorstESPN

1. Logistics
2. Health models that showed the coronavirus wouldn't abate enough to allow travel for all needed league, television, radio and support people

At this point, do away with the draft combine, have the draft like the old days(over the phone, no central meeting place, no grand show, no congregation of players and family) and just do it with video conferencing on television.

I think this has been an underrated aspect of things.  I have to think a lot of players & their families wouldn't be comfortable.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

@WindhorstESPN

1. Logistics

I think this has been an underrated aspect of things.  I have to think a lot of players & their families wouldn't be comfortable.

Lebron said on a podcast last week that he wouldn't do it.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

@WindhorstESPN

This (as some here have been saying) is the right thing to do (cancel).  And I think they should do it now and get ahead of the situation which is going to take a steep downturn over the next month.  This gives them focus where it should be -- on the virus -- and putting the faces of the NBA out there helping in any way they can. 

It is an absolute bonus - will make my day -- if/when The Lakers officially are  not the NBA champs in 19-20.  Seems petty to say it, but any victories are sweet right now.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
According to JJ Redick most players do want to finish the season out in whatever way possible, so I'm not sure the league changing to a more negative outlook on completing the season is player driven.

I'm also not buying the optics of finishing the season being an issue. Most people I've talked with would be happy to see the season resume in some fashion. I think it's really only a vocal minority pushing back against the idea of resuming play.

My guess is this is a logistical issue more than anything. Hopefully, they figure it out. I would definitely welcome a completion to the season if they can pull it off.