Author Topic: Steph Curry needs 2 more 3 pointers to break the single season 3s made record!!!  (Read 9008 times)

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Humanahumanahumana...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Ai9JUBlHpaZOleZ5v830AUfazYd4?gid=2013041509

He needed 9 within these last 2 games. He hit 7 against San Antonio today. He needs 2 more to break the all time single season 3 pointers made record!

The future is bright for both Steph Curry and the Warriors franchise.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg3_season.html
- (add 7 to Steph's total)
I like Marcus Smart

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'm getting rid of Rayray
I'm getting rid of the B
(He's a no good B)

STEPH CURRYYYYYYYYY

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wow seriously. That is absurd.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That's 16 threes in the last 2 games.  Pretty ridiculous.

Also glad to see some of the distorted numbers from the mid-90s when they moved the line in pushed further down the list.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I wasn't aware of his pace from three point range until that graphic on the Warriors game the other day.  Unbelievable.

If he stays healthy this guy is going to have some insane statistical numbers over the course of his career.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I wasn't aware of his pace from three point range until that graphic on the Warriors game the other day.  Unbelievable.

If he stays healthy this guy is going to have some insane statistical numbers over the course of his career.

Here's one that was pretty shocking to me - in 4 seasons, with some significant injury issues, Curry has 9 fewer 3 pointers than Larry Bird did for his career. 

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Here's one that was pretty shocking to me - in 4 seasons, with some significant injury issues, Curry has 9 fewer 3 pointers than Larry Bird did for his career.

In 85-86 (just to pick a year) the average nba team made 77 threes in a season, less than 1 a game. Also, the league average in 3fg% was .282. Threes just weren't a part of offenses, and teams didn't run plays designed to get open threes. People might think that Bird's career 3fg% (.376) isn't overly exciting but in context in that 85-86 season Bird led the league in 3s made and his 3fg% was 50% higher than the league average.

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1687
It's impressive that he shoots as well as he does from deep, but honestly I think this chase is mostly a reflection of the fact that he's taking nearly eight threes per game. 

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
It's impressive that he shoots as well as he does from deep, but honestly I think this chase is mostly a reflection of the fact that he's taking nearly eight threes per game.

Ray took 8.4 the year he set the record.  You've gotta take a lot to make a lot, but I'd say shooting 45.5% at that kind of volume makes it even more impressive. 

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He shoots a lot AND he makes a lot. And he also makes tough twos with regularity.

All-Star.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Ray took 8.4 the year he set the record.  You've gotta take a lot to make a lot, but I'd say shooting 45.5% at that kind of volume makes it even more impressive.

That really is the most impressive part. Good for Steph - I am really happy to see this record of Ray's broken. Not so sure he can take the career record, though...

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

And Larry for several years took more threes than some teams did in the NBA during the 80s. (Ainge also shot a ton of 3s even more than Larry at least one year I saw, leading the C's to lead the league with the shot)

The game has completely changed. Curry for all his shooting 3s is at around 55% of the Grizzlies (by far the least 3 happy team) total.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I agree.  You hear people try to argue that Nash or Dirk are the best shooters of this era with their pretty percentages.  And lack of volume doesn't take anything away from guys like Nash, Dirk, and Bird.  They could be better shooters than Ray for all anybody knows.  But they can't say they're the best in-game shooter ever like Ray can.  They don't have that much proof.

As for Curry, if he breaks the record I don't think I can quite say it was as impressive as when Ray did it.  Not even taking pace into consideration, Ray didn't have a down low presence to draw in the defense, let alone a beast like David Lee who can triple threat and cause a double team (also more than willing to pass back out with 3.4 assists a game).  Ray on the other hand was the one getting double teammed with bigs like Wilcox, Radmanovic, Collison, Petro, Reggie Evans, and Mikki Moore.  It's also fair to say if born two inches shorter and played PG with a green light for pull-ups he would have taken a lot more 3s.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Hey, Damian already broke the rookie record for 3s. Oh, how the game is evolvin'.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I agree.  You hear people try to argue that Nash or Dirk are the best shooters of this era with their pretty percentages.  And lack of volume doesn't take anything away from guys like Nash, Dirk, and Bird.  They could be better shooters than Ray for all anybody knows.  But they can't say they're the best in-game shooter ever like Ray can.  They don't have that much proof.

As for Curry, if he breaks the record I don't think I can quite say it was as impressive as when Ray did it.  Not even taking pace into consideration, Ray didn't have a down low presence to draw in the defense, let alone a beast like David Lee who can triple threat and cause a double team (also more than willing to pass back out with 3.4 assists a game).  Ray on the other hand was the one getting double teammed with bigs like Wilcox, Radmanovic, Collison, Petro, Reggie Evans, and Mikki Moore.  It's also fair to say if born two inches shorter and played PG with a green light for pull-ups he would have taken a lot more 3s.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steph Curry ended up with a more successful/accomplished career than Ray Allen.

NBA career that is, I don't know if Curry could pull off He Got Game.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.