Author Topic: Steph Curry needs 2 more 3 pointers to break the single season 3s made record!!!  (Read 8984 times)

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
This astonishes me as he's missed games with injury (not just this year; his young career has been injury-plagued).

The fact he's made this many threes having missed so many games is truly a testament to his shooting prowess.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wouldn't be surprised if Steph Curry ended up with a more successful/accomplished career than Ray Allen.

I would.  I don't think Curry will ever have the peak that Ray did.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I wouldn't be surprised if Steph Curry ended up with a more successful/accomplished career than Ray Allen.

In what capacity?

Not saying it's a given... the trajectory can't be denied though.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Erased from the record books is Ray Allen's 3 point record.

No chance now that he's a 4th wheel on that dang team.

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Erased from the record books is Ray Allen's 3 point record.

No chance now that he's a 4th wheel on that dang team.

Well, it's not exactly erased, but it may be overlooked at least!
I like Marcus Smart

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Durability seems like a much more pressing issue. Here they are through their first 4 seasons:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=allenra02&y1=2000&p2=curryst01&y2=2013

That's a similarity I hadn't anticipated.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Durability seems like a much more pressing issue. Here they are through their first 4 seasons:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=allenra02&y1=2000&p2=curryst01&y2=2013

It's just his ankle that's been the problem, right? The bulk of the time he missed was also in one season (the last season).

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

It's just his ankle that's been the problem, right? The bulk of the time he missed was also in one season (the last season).

The problem with the ankle is that it's chronic, and at a very early age. Multiple surgeries, with more issues more games missed and more surgeries a virtual certitude.

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
It's impressive that he shoots as well as he does from deep, but honestly I think this chase is mostly a reflection of the fact that he's taking nearly eight threes per game.

Ray took 8.4 the year he set the record.  You've gotta take a lot to make a lot, but I'd say shooting 45.5% at that kind of volume makes it even more impressive.
I agree.  You hear people try to argue that Nash or Dirk are the best shooters of this era with their pretty percentages.  And lack of volume doesn't take anything away from guys like Nash, Dirk, and Bird.  They could be better shooters than Ray for all anybody knows.  But they can't say they're the best in-game shooter ever like Ray can.  They don't have that much proof.

As for Curry, if he breaks the record I don't think I can quite say it was as impressive as when Ray did it.  Not even taking pace into consideration, Ray didn't have a down low presence to draw in the defense, let alone a beast like David Lee who can triple threat and cause a double team (also more than willing to pass back out with 3.4 assists a game).  Ray on the other hand was the one getting double teammed with bigs like Wilcox, Radmanovic, Collison, Petro, Reggie Evans, and Mikki Moore.  It's also fair to say if born two inches shorter and played PG with a green light for pull-ups he would have taken a lot more 3s.

Curry was assisted on 43% of his jumpshots. He created 57% of his made jumpshots on his own. Ray (in his career 3P made year) was assisted on 56% of his jumpshots. He created 44% of his own jumpshots. This could be because he wasn't a point guard (like you mentioned) but pulling up for a 3P isn't exactly easy! :p I'd say Step Curry probably took harder shots than Ray did in their respective record years.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
It's impressive that he shoots as well as he does from deep, but honestly I think this chase is mostly a reflection of the fact that he's taking nearly eight threes per game.

Ray took 8.4 the year he set the record.  You've gotta take a lot to make a lot, but I'd say shooting 45.5% at that kind of volume makes it even more impressive.
I agree.  You hear people try to argue that Nash or Dirk are the best shooters of this era with their pretty percentages.  And lack of volume doesn't take anything away from guys like Nash, Dirk, and Bird.  They could be better shooters than Ray for all anybody knows.  But they can't say they're the best in-game shooter ever like Ray can.  They don't have that much proof.

As for Curry, if he breaks the record I don't think I can quite say it was as impressive as when Ray did it.  Not even taking pace into consideration, Ray didn't have a down low presence to draw in the defense, let alone a beast like David Lee who can triple threat and cause a double team (also more than willing to pass back out with 3.4 assists a game).  Ray on the other hand was the one getting double teammed with bigs like Wilcox, Radmanovic, Collison, Petro, Reggie Evans, and Mikki Moore.  It's also fair to say if born two inches shorter and played PG with a green light for pull-ups he would have taken a lot more 3s.

Curry was assisted on 43% of his jumpshots. He created 57% of his made jumpshots on his own. Ray (in his career 3P made year) was assisted on 56% of his jumpshots. He created 44% of his own jumpshots. This could be because he wasn't a point guard (like you mentioned) but pulling up for a 3P isn't exactly easy! :p I'd say Step Curry probably took harder shots than Ray did in their respective record years.

That's an interesting argument. Ray not playing point certainly has a lot to do with it, but Curry lacking a playmaker other than Jarret Jack. It's a testament to his ability to recognize space. But Ray Allen though had to face more defenses oriented towards him alone (aside from Lee, Thompson and Barnes are both good enough shooters to keep their defenders home), and had to fight a lot harder to get the space he'd need, and rely on a competent PG, which he had for a lot of his time in Milwaukee at least, together him the ball in perfect timing off screens.

However in Seattle, didn't have that luxury. He did have a peaking Rashard Lewis though to help create space and an elite pick-setter in Collison.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:31:51 AM by IndeedProceed »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Hahahah I think I've seen that a lot somewhere! Just kidding, it's your signature. TP for you.  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
This doesn't seem like too long ago:

(I know, I'm getting old...)

Way to go, Steph!

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Or that Ray was covered more closely than Curry, who was seemingly left open enough to shoot with the ball in his hands more than you'd expect Ray to be.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Here's a fun one--they both have the same career highs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QH7Xv2L514

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ZkhhJ8gwg

The difference, of course, is that Ray was ten years into his career when he did that. This is Curry's third season.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.