Author Topic: Amazon getting in on new NBA TV Contract  (Read 2620 times)

Amazon getting in on new NBA TV Contract
« on: April 26, 2024, 05:23:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Knew this day was coming sooner rather than later

Sounds like ESPN/ABC is gonna re-up and we might be having an NBC v. TNT showdown for the 3rd package.

https://awfulannouncing.com/amazon/prime-video-nba-broadcast-agreement.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 05:33:56 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Amazon getting in on new NBA TV Contract
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 07:27:40 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989
Rooting for NBC if this means Peacock will carry their RSN games as part of a subscription, which has been talked about.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 08:38:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
I only want NBC to return just for the return of "Roundball Rock" by John Tesh. NBA playoffs without it has not been the same, that always put me in the mood.

And if they get it, and they don't return with "Roundball Rock", they can go burn in hell.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 10:26:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
I only want NBC to return just for the return of "Roundball Rock" by John Tesh. NBA playoffs without it has not been the same, that always put me in the mood.

And if they get it, and they don't return with "Roundball Rock", they can go burn in hell.

Ditto! Those Jordan Finals days haha

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 03:40:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So games are just going to be on Amazon Prime like they already are on ESPN and TNT? I don't have Amazon, so this isn't great for me. Guess I'll be rooting for NBC over TNT

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 10:55:53 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
I just want a legit streaming option so I can watch games without have to pay for a whole live TV or cable package. Amazon having regular games that aren't blacked out by location would be awesome.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 11:22:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I just want a legit streaming option so I can watch games without have to pay for a whole live TV or cable package. Amazon having regular games that aren't blacked out by location would be awesome.
It is supposedly coming and maybe as early as this NFL season.  Haven't heard an update in a bit, but a couple months ago espn, Fox and Warner Brothers (i.e. tbs, tnt) announced they were working on a sports streaming platform for all 3 of their family of networks.  Makes so much sense if they do it right and don't charge an absorbant amount.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 11:27:10 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2024, 11:47:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
So games are just going to be on Amazon Prime like they already are on ESPN and TNT? I don't have Amazon, so this isn't great for me. Guess I'll be rooting
 for NBC over TNT

No. They’re just going to reduce the number of regular season games on cable TV and supplement with the Amazon streams in additional to steaming some playoff games.

ESPN/ABC will still be broadcasting games and a 3rd package of games with either end up at TNT or NBC.  NBA just decided to bring in a third partner on this new package. 

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2024, 12:52:48 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Pretty soon all 4 major sports will be on Amazon, Apple or another and no more NBC, ABC,  & CBS
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2024, 03:23:58 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1032
Going to be hard to justify paying full price for the League Pass when more than half of Celtics games can be watched on ESPN/TNT/ABC/NBATV/NBC/and now Prime.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 08:10:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
So games are just going to be on Amazon Prime like they already are on ESPN and TNT? I don't have Amazon, so this isn't great for me. Guess I'll be rooting
 for NBC over TNT

No. They’re just going to reduce the number of regular season games on cable TV and supplement with the Amazon streams in additional to steaming some playoff games.

ESPN/ABC will still be broadcasting games and a 3rd package of games with either end up at TNT or NBC.  NBA just decided to bring in a third partner on this new package.
I was shocked to see the Max (HBO) was carrying all of the TNT games this year. That was great for me. But if Amazon has regular games, that would be even better.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 08:16:41 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Does that mean Amazon Prime is going to be lagging when I watch games there? Even those NFL Thursday Night Amazon Prime games I feel that Amazon bandwidth isn't strong enough to support despite having 500 MBPS fiberoptic connection. It would take forever to load to get to watch.

Also is NBC going to absorb "Inside the NBA" crew cuz I'll miss seeing Shaq, EJ, Kenny Smith, and Barkley clowning each other around if they're left in the dust. They're more entertaining than ESPN folks. I'd be on board if they reuse the John Tesh music, brings back the old days. They should just squeeze out ESPN they garbage and hate Boston sports.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 10:32:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Does that mean Amazon Prime is going to be lagging when I watch games there? Even those NFL Thursday Night Amazon Prime games I feel that Amazon bandwidth isn't strong enough to support despite having 500 MBPS fiberoptic connection. It would take forever to load to get to watch.

Also is NBC going to absorb "Inside the NBA" crew cuz I'll miss seeing Shaq, EJ, Kenny Smith, and Barkley clowning each other around if they're left in the dust. They're more entertaining than ESPN folks. I'd be on board if they reuse the John Tesh music, brings back the old days. They should just squeeze out ESPN they garbage and hate Boston sports.

The speculation I’m reading is that there is a really good chance that TNT loses the NBA to NBC and decent chance that the NBA on TNT crew would end up on the Amazon package.

A decent scenario since you’d keep the TNT crew & also get “Roundball Rock” back.

My ideal scenario would be ESPN/ABC getting junked but that’s not happening.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2024, 07:31:29 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

The speculation I’m reading is that there is a really good chance that TNT loses the NBA to NBC and decent chance that the NBA on TNT crew would end up on the Amazon package.

A decent scenario since you’d keep the TNT crew & also get “Roundball Rock” back.

My ideal scenario would be ESPN/ABC getting junked but that’s not happening.

as far as basketball-adjacent traditions go, the TNT crew and Roundball Rock are worth keeping beyond all the other dictatorial circumstances that might allow/disallow them.