8 (14.3%)
100-150K
4 (7.1%)
150-200K
2 (3.6%)
More than 200K
7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: How much money do you make a year?  (Read 15554 times)

Re: How much money do you make a year?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
How much do I make?

Not much, but I'd be making a lot more if I didn't go on Celticsblog so much!!

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 09:13:13 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
My wife and I are both public school teachers. In the area I live in TN, that make us middle to upper middle class. I live very comfortably. Having said that, in probably most parts of the country, I'd be poor and needing an extra job.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »

fitzhickey

$15 an hour, which is plenty for me  ;D

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 12:52:35 AM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
Not much, I have an hourly wage job that (judging by the poll numbers) most posters here would probably consider low-paying. But as an unmarried 20-something I don't have nearly the same financial responsibilities as others in this thread have mentioned. I make less than 30K, but my discretionary income is probably proportional to people in vastly different family/living situations. It's all relative.

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 02:30:16 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Not much, I have an hourly wage job that (judging by the poll numbers) most posters here would probably consider low-paying. But as an unmarried 20-something I don't have nearly the same financial responsibilities as others in this thread have mentioned. I make less than 30K, but my discretionary income is probably proportional to people in vastly different family/living situations. It's all relative.

I agree with you 100% on this.  As I stated in my prior post, it all depends on circumstances.  I didn't state in my other post, but frig it, I make about $40 grand per year.  Granted it's not a whole lot, as I have deductions for union dues, state and municipal pensions, health insurance, but it's certainly enough for me.  I have no children, I'm unmarried (29 years old...soon to be 30)...I own a fairly nice car; I don't own a home, as I was very fortunate that my family owns a property that I live solely in alone.  My rent is only $300 per month, no utilities except running water are included.   My rent can't ever go up (even, say, 20 years down the road and there is inflation/cost of living adjustments), as what has been legally stipulated I guess in my grandparents' will or something like that.  Basically, my circumstances have certainly helped me to stretch $40K/year farther than someone who is making the same salary and has a mortgage, 2 kids, utilities, more money on food than I spend on myself, etc.  Everything is definitely relative and each situation is different.  $40K for one person can actually be treated like 80K, in a sense...Whereas, 40K between 3 people probably has to be budgeted a bit better.  If I could make more money, I'd obviously like to, but I am definitely happy with where I am and am overall grateful to have a job and one that I enjoy for that matter.

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 05:35:39 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
im so poor i cant pay attention

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 06:41:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My mother, who grew up in the shadow of the group depression, always judged people by their wealth to some degree.  I always found it amusing even when Charlie Sheen went off the handle she thought he was doing something right because of his wealth.  She is A Christian, I am not, so one day I asked her about how much Jesus made and this gave her a different perspective.

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 06:45:23 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
My wife and I are both public school teachers. In the area I live in TN, that make us middle to upper middle class. I live very comfortably. Having said that, in probably most parts of the country, I'd be poor and needing an extra job.

Presuming that if you lived in another part of the country you'd be paid what public teachers make in that area, you and your wife would probably still be doing pretty well--with lots of vacation time and good pensions!

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 07:52:20 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Presuming that if you lived in another part of the country you'd be paid what public teachers make in that area, you and your wife would probably still be doing pretty well--with lots of vacation time and good pensions!

Not a teacher myself.

But teachers should be paid enough to at least live well. Good on TN.

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 08:00:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

yeah but a lot of professions don't get much in the way of a bump.  My sister is an occupational therapist in Manhattan.  She would actually make as much, if not more, money in Cleveland where I live doing the same job, which of course with the cost of living adjustment, would be significantly more money.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 08:21:52 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Well I'm in Australia and the average salary is around 65K USD + compulsory 13% retirement employer contributions, so everyone gets 13% of their salary per annum stored away until they're 55 years old- which employers must pay on top of that 65k USD.
You also get at least 4 weeks of holidays a year (or more) so you get time to recover and live life.
Taxes are about 35-40 percent but college costs about 6K a year for an undergrad degree and about 10-12K for something like Law or Medicine. Health cover is basically free with small fees ($20) if you visit certain doctors. To see a doctor is 100% free if you're willing to wait an hour.
We do pay for prescriptions but they're very cheap if they're required for your daily being.

Food is expensive and wages are high, so small business usually don't make as much unless they're excellent location wise.
But the equality here is pretty amazing.

My wife and I are both in management/exec positions in sales (myself) and she's a psychologist, we also own a small business as franchisees so we are very fortunate. One thing I notice in the US (she's from NY and we have family in Hopkinton MA and CT) is the disparity between the rich and the poor.
I also can't believe how cheap houses are compared to Australia. Just amazing.
Seems like it's much harder to 'make it' in the USA if you're from a lower income segment because there isn't much support for lower socio economic groups on the whole. The college fees just astound me... I just can't understand how the stereotypical poor black or hispanic kids can make it out through the system via education and hard work- even with those attributes the odds are still stacked against you.
I'd say if you're middle class or above in the USA it's the best place on earth, but it seems like a lot of the lower groups just work for the upper class and put up with it, and perhaps the great lifestyles the middle and upper class have come at a cost to others?

Every country has it's pros and cons but I do love the USA. We are kind of lucky in Australia to be a young country and basically learn from other countries mistakes- but it's not like we're perfect at all. We are riding an economic boom because of the natural resources here so i do worry what will happen when everything runs dry in 100 years or so.

If I would some up something that describes my 'wealth' and how blessed we are?
Going back to the USA once or twice a year to see our family and getting to go to Celtics games with nice seats, coming home to some great American home cooked food from farmers market :)
America, -*%# yeah!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 08:38:59 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
You answer first

I like that response, tp