Author Topic: Are we one good bench piece away from title contention?  (Read 12131 times)

Re: Are we one good bench piece away from title contention?
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2020, 09:34:33 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
We are one good starter away from title contention (at center).
How are we defining "good starter"?
Let's say a top 15 center
This! If we could somehow trade for a guy like Myles Turner without sacrificing our 5-man core, I believe we'd have a legit chance to make it to the Finals.

Salary-wise, Kanter + Theis + Langford for Turner works in the trade machine. Problem is, the Pacers would have zero incentive to do a 3 for 1 trade. Chances are, we'd have to find a third team. Not the easiest thing to do, but it's definitely possible. Especially if we are willing to include pick(s).

For instance:

(click on image to enlarge)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=vc2al5t

Or something along these lines. The Wizards get the Celtics 2020 first as well.

It also works with the Kings (instead of the Wizards) for Bogdanovic, with the Knicks for Marcus Morris, with the Wolves for Covington etc.

Kemba - Wanamaker - Edwards
Brown - Smart - Green
Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams
Turner - Poirier - R. Williams

That's an impressive 6-man core, plus we'd have 2 roster spots available in order to sign players via the buyout market.

Turner isn't a good fit next to Sabonis. The Pacers also have Bitadze to provide cover at the 5. It's possible that they'll decide to move on from Turner. If that's the case, Danny should go after him.
I think losing the big man depth we have is absolutely not worth the marginal upgrade to get Turner.
We'd still have 3 Centers in Turner-Poirier-Timelord, plus 2 open roster spots to sign players via the byuout market.

Usually the team that gets the best player wins the trade.

Imo, Turner > Kanter > Theis

Basically, we'd trade our depth for a significant (not marginal) upgrade at the C position. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Not sure whether the other teams would though.
I don’t see how you can count porrier and Williams as depth.

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2020, 10:20:36 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
This! If we could somehow trade for a guy like Myles Turner without sacrificing our 5-man core, I believe we'd have a legit chance to make it to the Finals.

Salary-wise, Kanter + Theis + Langford for Turner works in the trade machine. Problem is, the Pacers would have zero incentive to do a 3 for 1 trade. Chances are, we'd have to find a third team. Not the easiest thing to do, but it's definitely possible. Especially if we are willing to include pick(s).

For instance:

It also works with the Kings (instead of the Wizards) for Bogdanovic, with the Knicks for Marcus Morris, with the Wolves for Covington etc.

Brown - Smart - Green
Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

That's an impressive 6-man core, plus we'd have 2 roster spots available in order to sign players via the buyout market.

Turner isn't a good fit next to Sabonis. The Pacers also have Bitadze to provide cover at the 5. It's possible that they'll decide to move on from Turner. If that's the case, Danny should go after him.
I think losing the big man depth we have is absolutely not worth the marginal upgrade to get Turner.
We'd still have 3 Centers in Turner-Poirier-Timelord, plus 2 open roster spots to sign players via the byuout market.

Basically, we'd trade our depth for a significant (not marginal) upgrade at the C position. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Not sure whether the other teams would though.

I don’t hate this trade but I don’t think you can do it without some guarantee of a backup C. Poirier isn’t it, Timelord may not return this season - I mean who knows what’s up with his injury, the lack of major news on it bothers me a bit.

Plus it’s a gamble since we know Theis happily does the dirty work, knows the schemes, and will do the little things. I like Turner but idk if he does that, or if he’ll just be another mouth to feed - maybe he’d be great here, hard to know.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think the Celtics are just as likely to scrounge the buy-out market as they are to trade any of their top 7 guys (Kemba, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Theis, Kanter) at this point.

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2020, 10:54:43 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

For instance:

Brown - Smart - Green
Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

I don’t hate this trade but I don’t think you can do it without some guarantee of a backup C. Poirier isn’t it, Timelord may not return this season - I mean who knows what’s up with his injury, the lack of major news on it bothers me a bit.

Plus it’s a gamble since we know Theis happily does the dirty work, knows the schemes, and will do the little things. I like Turner but idk if he does that, or if he’ll just be another mouth to feed - maybe he’d be great here, hard to know.
I don't see why Indiana does it nor any of the potential 3rd teams he mentioned unless Boston is giving up all 3 picks this year (and then still maybe not).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2020, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
delete

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Eight is enough, lol.  The problem is not the playoff depth but the top 3 players aren’t good enough to win a championship.

Probably right, though I think Kemba is good enough to be a top 3 on a title team. Tatum and Brown are not there yet.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2020, 09:55:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

For instance:

Brown - Smart - Green
Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

I really don't think you can classify that rotation as having 3 centers. Poirier is legitimately terrible, and RWill is both too raw and too injury-prone at the moment to be relied upon for anything.

Turner is probably better than both Kanter & Theis individually, but on this team I'd rather have the latter two than Turner alone. His awful rebounding, weak passing and mediocre shooting does not do enough to offset the defensive and athletic upgrade he brings to the table.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2020, 09:56:48 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I feel like if everyone gets healthy and we keep the players below and we outbid using fist round picks and filler for both Tristan Thompson AND Bogdanovich. I’m not 100 percent this is even possible ( I think so) ..You guys would know better . But the team below I feel would be very dangerous to any contender.

Hayward
 Tatum      Theis
 Thompson Kanter. Timelord
 Kemba.     Smart.   
 Brown      Bogdanovich

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2020, 10:04:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  I feel like if everyone gets healthy and we keep the players below and we outbid using fist round picks and filler for both Tristan Thompson AND Bogdanovich. I’m not 100 percent this is even possible ( I think so) ..You guys would know better . But the team below I feel would be very dangerous to any contender.

Hayward
 Tatum      Theis
 Thompson Kanter. Timelord
 Kemba.     Smart.   
 Brown      Bogdanovich
Which Bogdanovic? I assume you mean Bogdan (the Sacramento one)? I don't see what filler we have that we could use to acquire either of them, let alone both, unless we're shipping out Hayward in a three-way trade, but I think that makes us definitely worse.

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2020, 05:00:44 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Short answer, no. I don’t think a bench piece will make a non-contender into a contender. A solid bench piece can likely make a contender into a favorite tho.

Imo, it’s interesting to think about why people here think we’re not contenders. I have an unpopular opinion why but I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts on this
- LilRip

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2020, 05:19:52 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

For instance:

Brown - Smart - Green
Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

I really don't think you can classify that rotation as having 3 centers. Poirier is legitimately terrible, and RWill is both too raw and too injury-prone at the moment to be relied upon for anything.

Turner is probably better than both Kanter & Theis individually, but on this team I'd rather have the latter two than Turner alone. His awful rebounding, weak passing and mediocre shooting does not do enough to offset the defensive and athletic upgrade he brings to the table.

No way (IMO!) is Turner good enough to do that trade.  Both Theis and Kanter are underrated in this idea, then we give up Romeo and someone wants to add even more picks?  Turner not close to good enough for such a a haul.  At best this is an offseason type trade, or a not-Brad-Steven's-team type trade, or a 1980's offseason type trade.  And with Romeo in it I'd hope the GM wouldn't toss in picks as well.  Wow!

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2020, 06:45:10 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
At best this is an offseason type trade, or a not-Brad-Steven's-team type trade, or a 1980's offseason type trade.
It's all about the playoffs. Depth is important in the regular season, but it means way less in the post season. It's usual for teams to go with an 8-man rotation.

Kemba (36) - Smart (12)
Brown (36) - Smart (12)
Hayward (36) - Smart (12)
Tatum (36) - buyout PF/Semi/G-Will (12)
Turner (36) - buyout C/Poirier/R-Will (12)

I'd be perfectly happy with something like that, especially if we could entice a guy like Tristan Thompson/Derrick Favors at the C position. Worst case scenario, we can always sign Keneth Farried. He wasn't half bad last season with the Rockets averaging 13 points and 8 rebs in 24.4 mins of playing time. His defense sucks, but he's a good rebounder + pick n roll threat. Fwiw, Noah, Amir and Zaza are also free agents.

Anyway, I believe Moranis is probably right. Chances are that Indy/Washington can find better offers for Turner/Bertans.
I don't see why Indiana does it nor any of the potential 3rd teams he mentioned

If we really want Turner, we gotta sacrifice one of our core guys. For instance, Smart + Langford for Turner. Not sure whether it would be worth it. I'm a big fan of Smart's game. Him and Brown are my favourite current Celtics. But then again, you have to lose something to gain something. That's how trades work.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:10:21 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2020, 07:02:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
We need 2...health and fouls are part of the game..Green and Grant are coming along nicely but we need vets..If u think Robert Williams is the answer than I got some magic sand that I will sell u 😊
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2020, 07:21:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
We need 2...health and fouls are part of the game..Green and Grant are coming along nicely but we need vets..If u think Robert Williams is the answer than I got some magic sand that I will sell u 😊
What exactly is your beef with Robert Williams?

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2020, 07:24:47 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
No way we win it all, unless our core stays heathy. Teams always shorten their rotation come playoff time. Fouls + fatigue may become an issue, but the goal is to use your best players as much as possible.

If u think Robert Williams is the answer than I got some magic sand that I will sell u 😊
Timelord got some magic sand of his own :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXgOUAMtcds&t=4m58s
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:24:16 AM by Jvalin »