Author Topic: Does Brad Stevens get enough credit?  (Read 4182 times)

Re: Does Brad Stevens get enough credit?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2023, 01:49:15 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I was afraid when Danny left.  Boy, was I wrong.  Thank goodness for Brad...and the owners for spending the money !!!

I wonder what kind of effect (if any) Brad vs. Danny has on ownership's willingness to spend. Is Brad more likely to push back on them when they try to save money? Or better at persuading then? Or are Wyc and co. just feeling the pressure and more willing to spend as a result?

No matter what the answer is, though, Brad is doing a great job
I'm bitter.

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2023, 03:43:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I was afraid when Danny left.  Boy, was I wrong.  Thank goodness for Brad...and the owners for spending the money !!!

I wonder what kind of effect (if any) Brad vs. Danny has on ownership's willingness to spend. Is Brad more likely to push back on them when they try to save money? Or better at persuading then? Or are Wyc and co. just feeling the pressure and more willing to spend as a result?

No matter what the answer is, though, Brad is doing a great job
Wyc definitely feeling more pressure now with the JB signing. However, yet another possibility is that the team is at a different stage of development at this point. Ainge was trying to acquire elite players to add to young JT/JB somewhat regardless of fit. Now those two players have developed into elite players themselves, which gave Brad the freedom to add players that fit them. To your point BJ, was Wyc somehow more convinced by Brad about this approach.

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2023, 08:49:24 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
One thing I'll give Danny over Brad is building the bench.

Look at all the vet min guys other teams signed that are working out. Oubre, byombo, Beasley...

All performing for their teams and all could've been had. Instead Brad went with guys like banton or brisett. Who are okay players but will never see the court in a playoff game

Now maybe those guys didn't want to sign with Boston due to playing time issues. But still he could've made a run at them.

Danny always filled the big 3 era with solid vets.

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2023, 09:12:59 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Look at all the vet min guys other teams signed that are working out. Oubre, byombo, Beasley...

All performing for their teams and all could've been had. Instead Brad went with guys like banton or brisett. Who are okay players but will never see the court in a playoff game

Now maybe those guys didn't want to sign with Boston due to playing time issues. But still he could've made a run at them.

How do you know who Brad made runs at?

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2023, 10:47:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If he went after them and didn't land them, that's also potentially a short-coming.  It's the second off-season in a row we came up empty on the vet minimum market.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2023, 11:12:41 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

If he went after them and didn't land them, that's also potentially a short-coming.  It's the second off-season in a row we came up empty on the vet minimum market.
It's possible, but I also think the vet min guys are usually a post hoc regret. Shane Battier-esque 'perfect player for the perfect system' symptom, right? Or when Brook Lopez signed with Milwaukee on a $3.8m biannual exception in 2018, and so on. If those teams don't go on to compete, the signings wouldn't be rated as well as they were.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.