Author Topic: 5-0 and cruising  (Read 10430 times)

Re: 5-0 and cruising
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2023, 04:06:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
We got better chance of winning a title with Holiday & Porzingus than with Smart & TimeLord, so trade had to be made..thanks for memories Smart & TimeLord but it’s a new chapter
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2023, 07:41:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't think any of this happens without Brad Stevens making calculated trades in the off-season. Porzingis is a game changer. Holiday is not only an upgrade at PG, but he knows his role.

All true. But… what does Brad do if the Brogdon deal goes through for KP?  I don’t think Smart would have netted Holiday.
Holiday-White backcourt might be my favorite Celtics backcourt ever - at least through 4 games.  😉

And to  hypantazo - I don’t miss Marcus even a little. I thought I’d miss Rob, but I don’t.

Smart and Rob absolutely could have netted Holiday.  People tired of him here, but Smart would have been easy to trade if needed.

Agreed, we would probably had to give up one less 1st round pick, but that is what we got in the Smart trade so pretty much a wash, more or less.

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2023, 07:55:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Hypothetically if we traded Brogdon in the KP trade, then I personally don't think Brad would have traded Smart in the Holiday deal. He might have just kept Timelord + Smart and rolled with the same team + Porzingis. But I also think Brogdon clearly soured on the organization after the whole trade drama with KP originally, so CBS probably decided to trade him and Timelord who is injury prone.

I still think if the Clippers didn't balk out of the Porzingis deal involving Brogdon as originally set, we would not have Holiday and would have kept both Timelord + Smart. Brad really had to shuffle around though after the Porzingis deal originally fell through due to Brogdon's "medicals".

I actually would have been fine with it though if it did end up like that. No Holiday, but keeping Smart AND Timelord in addition to the Core 4 (Tatum, Brown, White, Porzingis; Horford as well)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2023, 08:02:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I don't think any of this happens without Brad Stevens making calculated trades in the off-season. Porzingis is a game changer. Holiday is not only an upgrade at PG, but he knows his role.

All true. But… what does Brad do if the Brogdon deal goes through for KP?  I don’t think Smart would have netted Holiday.
Holiday-White backcourt might be my favorite Celtics backcourt ever - at least through 4 games.  😉

And to  hypantazo - I don’t miss Marcus even a little. I thought I’d miss Rob, but I don’t.

Smart and Rob absolutely could have netted Holiday.  People tired of him here, but Smart would have been easy to trade if needed.

Agreed, we would probably had to give up one less 1st round pick, but that is what we got in the Smart trade so pretty much a wash, more or less.

I have some doubt that you could swap Smart and get Holiday, but I’m probably wrong about that.  I agree with idea that no trade for Holiday would have happened. 

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2023, 12:59:13 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Let's hope it's not a repeat of the 2017-18 team, which went 0-2 before winning 16 straight to be 19-4 before the end of November. I don't have very pleasant memories of that team :-[

But 5-0 is different to 3-2, so there is that  :police:

I'm with you on that!

Gordon's injury had me depressed for weeks  :-\ They did outdo themselves early in the season despite his loss though.

I feel the sky is the limit for this team as long as *touch wood* the injury curse stays away (I don't even want to say it in case it jinxes them  ??? )

Oh man, no kidding. I can still hear the tv announcer that night, just blurting out immediately, "Gordon Haywood broke his leg". No hesitation, no that looked bad but lets wait and see, nothing but the sudden, stunning realization that our super-team had just been destroyed in one play on the first offensive possession of the season. Just gave me a sick feeling then and still does.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2023, 04:41:10 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I have some doubt that you could swap Smart and get Holiday, but I’m probably wrong about that.  I agree with idea that no trade for Holiday would have happened.
The big concern is not so much with the Celtics here (prior to the start of the season I think most people would see Smart/Jrue as fairly equivalent or interchangeable players) but with the fact that the Bucks are almost certainly better if they keep Holiday, and we will likely have to beat the Bucks if we want to return to the Finals.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2023, 10:35:04 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

The big concern is not so much with the Celtics here (prior to the start of the season I think most people would see Smart/Jrue as fairly equivalent or interchangeable players) but with the fact that the Bucks are almost certainly better if they keep Holiday, and we will likely have to beat the Bucks if we want to return to the Finals.

If you take all the "Boneheadedness" out of Smart's game they might be somewhat equal...

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2023, 11:05:14 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

If you take all the "Boneheadedness" out of Smart's game they might be somewhat equal...
Similarly, most Celtics fans are going to be more critical & aware of a former Celtic than a guy who was essentially a good player on a couple of middling teams until he wound up on a championship squad at the age of 30 after being traded for the ghost of Eric Bledsoe and Steven Adams.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2023, 11:05:28 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
The team started 21-5 last year and beat down Phoenix before hitting a rough stretch. I'm hoping this team can keep focused through Dec and Jan when the grind sets in.

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2023, 11:16:44 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
Got a bad feeling about tonight.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2023, 11:26:20 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55

x

Still early, but DJ and Danny were hard not to enjoy with Carlisle and Sichting as backups.

I was thinking of DJ-Danny when I wrote.  Yeah - way too early but if their first 4 together is an indication, Jrue-DW is right there.

Yes indeed, Tommy points for all!  DJ (may his memory be a blessing) was a combo two-way guard that came to us with championship experience and helped us win right away.  He had the type of game that could fit in anywhere.  The Danny/Derrick comparison isn't quite as strong but both can play either guard, are strong shooters and rugged defenders. Kudos to PBS for getting this done.  We traded some picks and players to get them but didn't mortgage our future.

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2023, 01:02:41 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Tuff test tonight , away game against a really good team. Plus , the bullseye is straight on the Boston Celtics and Nuggets now ….everyone is going to be gunning to knock us down a notch.

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2023, 01:25:22 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810
Tuff test tonight , away game against a really good team. Plus , the bullseye is straight on the Boston Celtics and Nuggets now ….everyone is going to be gunning to knock us down a notch.

Bring it on, this is a different Celtics team.

Edit: You might be right. I didn't know White would be out and KP may not play.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 02:01:38 PM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2023, 03:32:36 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Let's hope it's not a repeat of the 2017-18 team, which went 0-2 before winning 16 straight to be 19-4 before the end of November. I don't have very pleasant memories of that team :-[

But 5-0 is different to 3-2, so there is that  :police:

I'm with you on that!

Gordon's injury had me depressed for weeks  :-\ They did outdo themselves early in the season despite his loss though.

I feel the sky is the limit for this team as long as *touch wood* the injury curse stays away (I don't even want to say it in case it jinxes them  ??? )

Oh man, no kidding. I can still hear the tv announcer that night, just blurting out immediately, "Gordon Haywood broke his leg". No hesitation, no that looked bad but lets wait and see, nothing but the sudden, stunning realization that our super-team had just been destroyed in one play on the first offensive possession of the season. Just gave me a sick feeling then and still does.

And the looks on the players' faces when they realized what happened and how bad it was :-\

This is what scares me about this team...I don't even want to type it because I might jinx them, but I feel like this team has a chance to do something special as long as long term injury stays away. There will always be bumps and bruises during the season but I pray everyday that something like what happened to Hayward doesn't happen to them  :(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2023, 03:33:39 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Smartacus plays like a guy that has to keep pushing boundaries to prove he's good...Jrue plays like a guy who knows he's good and plays within that knowledge.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D