Author Topic: Hot Take Celtics are much deeper at Wing  (Read 6617 times)

Re: Hot Take Celtics are much deeper at Wing
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2023, 08:21:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Banton scored 11.  Which feels pretty impressive for a backup.

Then again we scored 155 points against the Pacers so it's hard to take the numbers we piled up too seriously.

We blew them out of the water! 

As for our wing depth obviously JT and JB are our #1 starting options.  But behind them we have Hauser, Brisett, Banton, and Svi.  So if at least 2 of those guys can show they merit minutes, I feel like we are pretty solid in that position.
Don't forget Lamar Stevens.

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2023, 09:06:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
More wings doesn't mean they are any good

They don't have to be good to be better than last year.

Brissett looks like a solid defender with physicality. Svi looks like he can shoot, and move his feet a little on defense too.

Even if these guys are 1-tool players they're an improvement over Champagnie and Jackson. They look like guys we can put out there with the starters and they won't completely embarrass themselves if they stick to their roles.

I won't be shocked if somebody steps up and surpasses Hauser in the depth chart.
Brissett isn't a wing. He is basically a worse Grant Williams.  So if we are counting him, then you have to count Grant from last year.  Brown also played a lot at wing last year because we had Brogdon, White, and Smart (not to mention PP) which we've trimmed to Jrue and White.

Hauser, Walsh, Svi vs. Hauser, Jackson, Champagnie. Yeah it is better this year, but it still blows.

Not gonna let you cut six bodies down to three Moranis.  Brissett is much more capable of guarding two's,  and threes than Grant. He counts as a wing that can guard fours as well.

You left off Lamar Stevens who is like a power Guard type. Jordan Walsh with Great feet and a 7'3" wingspan that will see the court, and has great defensive tools.

Svi who looks beget than Justin Jackson and Champaine already, and one of Brad's first grabs this off-season six foot eight inch Blanton,  who can play anywhere,  and guard anyone.

It's not Even close honestly.  This team has way better options than last year.
if you count Brissett, you have to count Grant. If you count Stevens you have to count Muscala. Balnton is a PG. The team doesn't have 6 backup wings. That is ridiculous.

Moranis. Early in the season Blanton is in as a wing. Brought into guard Covington a 6 foot seven wing himself.

Blanton is playing with Holiday and Prichard. Hes not playing point guard. Hes very versitle because of his size and speed.

Hes a guard and a wing .

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2023, 09:27:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Brissett looks like a solid defender with physicality. Svi looks like he can shoot, and move his feet a little on defense too.

Even if these guys are 1-tool players they're an improvement over Champagnie and Jackson. They look like guys we can put out there with the starters and they won't completely embarrass themselves if they stick to their roles.

I won't be shocked if somebody steps up and surpasses Hauser in the depth chart.
Brissett isn't a wing. He is basically a worse Grant Williams.  So if we are counting him, then you have to count Grant from last year.  Brown also played a lot at wing last year because we had Brogdon, White, and Smart (not to mention PP) which we've trimmed to Jrue and White.

Hauser, Walsh, Svi vs. Hauser, Jackson, Champagnie. Yeah it is better this year, but it still blows.

Not gonna let you cut six bodies down to three Moranis.  Brissett is much more capable of guarding two's,  and threes than Grant. He counts as a wing that can guard fours as well.

You left off Lamar Stevens who is like a power Guard type. Jordan Walsh with Great feet and a 7'3" wingspan that will see the court, and has great defensive tools.

Svi who looks beget than Justin Jackson and Champaine already, and one of Brad's first grabs this off-season six foot eight inch Blanton,  who can play anywhere,  and guard anyone.

if you count Brissett, you have to count Grant. If you count Stevens you have to count Muscala. Balnton is a PG. The team doesn't have 6 backup wings. That is ridiculous.

Moranis. Early in the season Blanton is in as a wing. Brought into guard Covington a 6 foot seven wing himself.

Blanton is playing with Holiday and Prichard. Hes not playing point guard. Hes very versitle because of his size and speed.

Hes a guard and a wing .
3 minutes on the wing, doesn't make a player a wing.  Blake Griffin played more than 3 minutes as a wing last year also. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2023, 09:29:52 PM »

Offline yelkao

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 17
The number of times Doris Burke and Beth Mowins have said Philly when they meant Boston and vice versa is shockingly bad.

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2023, 09:41:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Hes a guard and a wing .
3 minutes on the wing, doesn't make a player a wing.  Blake Griffin played more than 3 minutes as a wing last year also.

Just admit he's a guard that also plays wing man.

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2023, 11:25:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Hes a guard and a wing .

He has never played wing in college or the NBA until tonight.  Literally 0 minutes.  If he does this all year, sure, but after a game. come on. that is silly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2023, 04:26:19 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Hes a guard and a wing .

He has never played wing in college or the NBA until tonight.  Literally 0 minutes.  If he does this all year, sure, but after a game. come on. that is silly.

Silly to think after 10 games it's not going to happen again in an 82 game season.  Brown misses a game and he's in. He's probably our quickest wing defender off the bench and he's also the tallest at 6'8"

Just too quick and long for Joe not to use again.

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2023, 08:06:49 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
I liked Banton's minutes last night. He played hard on defense, got a few rebounds. His role won't be a ball handler but a spark plug wing. As pointed out in this thread, he has almost no history doing that. That leads me to believe his minutes will be a mixed bag this year.
#JKJB

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2023, 08:59:01 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I liked Banton's minutes last night. He played hard on defense, got a few rebounds. His role won't be a ball handler but a spark plug wing. As pointed out in this thread, he has almost no history doing that. That leads me to believe his minutes will be a mixed bag this year.

Hey TP for agreeing with me.

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2023, 09:24:48 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I like three of the pieces on the Celtics bench being able to play 20+ minutes in a game.   The rest of the bench feels more like limited pieces with maybe one to one and a half skills that would get exposed if they play more then 15 minutes.

I would feel better if the Celtics could add one more PF that could defend and be respectable outside shooting (league average). 

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2023, 09:58:46 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I thought Svi may take his minutes too but even if they are equal shooters , Hauser is a bit bigger and moves his feet a bit better side to side. He’s really made strides since last year defensively. I like how Svi can create more but I don’t think he’ll get too many reps doing that and it’s so hard to get in rhythm when you don’t know when those opportunities come.

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2023, 10:12:59 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I thought Svi may take his minutes too but even if they are equal shooters , Hauser is a bit bigger and moves his feet a bit better side to side. He’s really made strides since last year defensively. I like how Svi can create more but I don’t think he’ll get too many reps doing that and it’s so hard to get in rhythm when you don’t know when those opportunities come.

Hauser is a much better defender than Svi.

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2023, 10:13:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

I see Banton's natural position being combo guard, kind of like White or Brogdon.  Doesn't mean he can't play some as a wing but the way he shoots it is probably better to have him play more as the ball handler and facilitator than the scorer (which is generally what you expect from a wing).

It was nice to get to seem him play in some meaningful minutes.  He reminds me of Avery Bradley in the early years.  You could see the ability but Bradley was so nervous out there, he couldn't shoot.  Bradley eventually matured into a solid NBA players.  Bradley was really young as a rookie though.  At that age he was physically ready for the NBA but not emotionally.  Banton is already 24.  He is running out of developmental real estate at this point.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 10:44:14 AM by Vermont Green »