Author Topic: Bol Bol and PJ Dozier to Celtics, sources tell ESPN.  (Read 15672 times)

Woj:Hernangomez to Spurs, Bryn Forbes to Denver, Bol Bol and PJ Dozier to Cs
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2022, 07:18:32 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Late to the game.

Re: Bol Bol and PJ Dozier to Celtics, sources tell ESPN.
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 07:35:39 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Brad needed Bol Bol to fill the void left by Tacko. Haha

Didn't realize that Tacko (7'6") is a full four inches taller than even Bol Bol (7'2")  :o
This is a crucial part of the trade.  Juancho was not doing an adequate job of being "big-dude-at the-end-of-the-bench-waving-a-towel", a long-standing tradition on Celtics rosters.  ;D

On a more serious note, it seems like we can't trade Freedom now, unless we get a big in return.  Bol is injured.

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2022, 07:36:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2022, 07:50:49 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Karalis at BSJournal:

Make no mistake, this is NOT the only deal Brad Stevens is going to make. This is the beginning of a lot of maneuvering.

For now, all you need to know is Juancho Hernangomez is gone. Bol and Dozier are likely never going to even come to Boston.

I think Karalos being very presumptuous here.  I’m not saying that either are in their long-term plans, but from a pure “how much do they cost perspective” Fernando is the cheapest useless player to move, because he makes less, and Kanter is even cheaper for a new team, makes the minimum so anyone can take him, and might even get you a late 2nd in return because a team would play him.

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2022, 08:01:32 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Per the story on ESPN, we’re only sending out Juancho.  The Spurs are getting a pick from Denver, so this is a pretty solid deal, all things considered (mediumish TPE and tax relief for an unusable player).

Smart move, free up cap without costing a future asset
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2022, 08:02:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This got me thinking, when was the last time you were really excited about a Celtic trade?

For me it was the draft trade that nabbed the team Tatum. I was never high on Fulton and loved we could grab Tatum plus another lottery pick that looked like it could be a high pick.

I never get hyped over the IT/Kyrie trade as I really didn't like Kyrie and I loved IT. Because IT was injured I thought it a good trade, it just didn't excite me.

Everything else since, including this, another cost cutting move: No excitement whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:40:49 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2022, 08:05:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Per the story on ESPN, we’re only sending out Juancho.  The Spurs are getting a pick from Denver, so this is a pretty solid deal, all things considered (mediumish TPE and tax relief for an unusable player).

I agree, it’s a useful and essentially no cost transaction.

Question:  is Herangomez truly “unusable”?  Or was he used incorrectly?

Regardless, he wasn’t in our plans.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2022, 08:13:24 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Money saving deal all around..doubt either be on roster next season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2022, 08:18:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Karalis at BSJournal:

Make no mistake, this is NOT the only deal Brad Stevens is going to make. This is the beginning of a lot of maneuvering.

For now, all you need to know is Juancho Hernangomez is gone. Bol and Dozier are likely never going to even come to Boston.

I think Karalos being very presumptuous here.  I’m not saying that either are in their long-term plans, but from a pure “how much do they cost perspective” Fernando is the cheapest useless player to move, because he makes less, and Kanter is even cheaper for a new team, makes the minimum so anyone can take him, and might even get you a late 2nd in return because a team would play him.
Agreed, I mean how good is Karalis?  I don't get a good vibe from him and he'll never be close to Woj/Shams level:
"not the only deal"  -- How does he know that?
"beginning of a lot of maneuvering" -- Really, so what else?
"Juancho Hernangomez is gone"  -  Thanks Captain Obvious
"Bol and Dozier are likely never going to even come to Boston." -- Well at least he admits this is speculation, but not even very good speculation.  Both could have a role next year depending on what other moves are made.

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2022, 08:43:12 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I agree, it’s a useful and essentially no cost transaction.

Question:  is Herangomez truly “unusable”?  Or was he used incorrectly?

Regardless, he wasn’t in our plans.

He’s been traded three times since August, twice by teams who were purely clearing salary.  Unusable might be strong, since that more accurately applies to me, but when you’re on your fourth team in a year, you’re certainly on the fringes of the NBA at best.

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2022, 08:45:51 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Forbes is the only decent player in that deal and we didn't get him.

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2022, 08:48:31 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Happy about the trade for sure. We were talking about the cost to unload Juancho's contract being [considerably] more than the typical 2nd round pick.

So far, we were able to get off of most of Tristan Thompson's by trading for Dunn/Fernando/2nd, then trading Dunn/Edwards for Juancho, then trading Juancho for Bol/Dozier. And we still have that 2nd. Seems more like the kind-of whatever transactions you do in NBA 2K, but how many GMs might just buy out Thompson for the roster spot?

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2022, 08:49:34 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It's not hard to see Bol Bol becoming a Jaren Jackson Jr. type of player.

Medicals have always been the huge question mark, and foot surgery doesn't look good, but there are definitely worse uses an end of the bench spot. I do hope he is resigned to a small prove-it contract.

This move continues BS priority of flexibility. We can go through the deadline without major deals if we need to, because we are under the tax. But we still have good mid-level contracts that could be combined for a bigger deal, which is something we haven't have in the past few years.

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2022, 08:49:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
This is disappointing. Juancho was useful for matching up salaries in a larger trade. Now that option is gone. A sign that larger changes are not coming?

We still have the Horford deal for matching up. That is good. But Juancho in combination with Smart or J-Rich (or both) allowed us to make a 2nd big trade. Bring in two big time players. That flexibility was valuable. Especially in a market where we may be unable to get a legit 3rd star to make a Big 3 and instead must focus on two lesser stars to make a Big 4.

A sign of Boston's declining / lack of ambition? Yes.

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2022, 08:51:46 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Forbes is the only decent player in that deal and we didn't get him.

It's interesting how we valued assets here.

Forbes salary is $4.5 million

Bol + Dozier combined make approximately $4.1 million.

So, for roughly $400k and a second rounder, we chose the two useless players over the one guy who could potentially help.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes