Author Topic: Bol Bol and PJ Dozier to Celtics, sources tell ESPN.  (Read 15958 times)

Re: Bol Bol and PJ Dozier to Celtics, sources tell ESPN.
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2022, 11:48:26 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Brad this morning on Toucher and Rich:

"We like Bol's upside."  Said team eager to evaluate him as he recovers from surgery and noted his potential to retain beyond this year.

Per Chris Forsberg tweet.

I remember him liking Juancho too.

Think it's fair to say the guy in these highlights has more upside than Jauncho at age 26 (is who he is):

https://youtu.be/cAw8ICwubK0

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=33028157

Also, remember Bol played with PP at Oregon. Wonder what he's had to say about Bol's potential to Brad and Ime?

He is skilled. He won't play this year and we have to resign him in the summer which isn't guaranteed. I hope it's not just another cost cutting move like dumping Bane, Theis, Baines, Fournier...

I don't mind blowing the 15th roster spot on a project who at least has some NBA skills.  I'm less thrilled when we've got five or so guys on the roster that can't play.

Sure, but two of those guys will be back in the coming days, probably Friday, and it’s not like Hernangomez or Parker we’re giving us anything we wanted to see on the court anyway.  What’s getting overlooked with regard to roster spots is that the NBA removed the limit 2-way players can be active for again this year, due to Covid.  Essentially our 2-ways are now the 14th and 15th men on the roster (developmental players available for practice and garbage time), while Dozier and Bol are the 16th and 17th men.  Hopefully Fernando is salary dumped to OKC or somewhere else at the deadline for cash, so the Celtics can go to free agency for a better option for the 13th man.  (Or more hopefully some major changes are made, but at this point it feels like the off-season is the time for that barring a really crazy deadline).

« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2022, 11:52:20 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Doubt either be on roster next season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Deal was a functional win even if they're not. But a look at Bol is a nice fringe benefit (if, say, he's a camp invite).

« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2022, 12:27:13 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Deal was a functional win even if they're not. But a look at Bol is a nice fringe benefit (if, say, he's a camp invite).

My gut says Bol will be given a QO and will accept it, unless he/his agent don’t want him in Boston so he doesn’t show up to facilities for workouts once his recovery from surgery is over (it’s unlikely to me he’ll be back while the C’s are still playing games, so he won’t have any required practices/games to show for).

I also think Dozier would be better than some of the other players we’ve had in the 11th-15th roster spots over the past couple of years, so I’m hopeful we use his Bird rights to maintain him, but that seems less likely.

« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2022, 12:48:13 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

My gut says Bol will be given a QO and will accept it, unless he/his agent don’t want him in Boston so he doesn’t show up to facilities for workouts once his recovery from surgery is over (it’s unlikely to me he’ll be back while the C’s are still playing games, so he won’t have any required practices/games to show for).

I also think Dozier would be better than some of the other players we’ve had in the 11th-15th roster spots over the past couple of years, so I’m hopeful we use his Bird rights to maintain him, but that seems less likely.

Question on both is: how far along will Dozier be in recovery before camp? Same with Bol -- no idea what level of foot surgery he had.

« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2022, 01:04:21 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Question on both is: how far along will Dozier be in recovery before camp? Same with Bol -- no idea what level of foot surgery he had.

Bol will supposedly be out 10-12 weeks from his surgery which occurred early this week.  Given his history of foot troubles, I don’t think it will be a quick recovery, but he certainly should be available for on-court work by May at the latest.  Doesn’t feel like the C’s will be having games or practices at that point, but if either the recovery does go according to schedule or the C’s last longer than they look like they will, it’s not impossible we see him dress for a game before the year is out.

Dozier tore his ACL in late November.  It’s not that aggressive of a timeline for him to be ready before training camp is over.

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bol Bol is with the team.

I'm growing old, used to get so hyped for these random additions.

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2022, 07:30:25 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

I'm old too but these guys probably won't play so what's to get excited about?

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2022, 07:50:30 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

There's an off chance they become an Avery Bradley or Glen Davis level contributor...

I mean, Bol's only been with the Nuggets so it's not like he's a journeyman...the odds are a bit better...

Isaiah was the dream...

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2022, 08:01:16 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

There's an off chance they become an Avery Bradley or Glen Davis level contributor...

I mean, Bol's only been with the Nuggets so it's not like he's a journeyman...the odds are a bit better...

Isaiah was the dream...

If we are clearing space Bol won't even play here.

« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2022, 09:31:01 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

Isaiah was the dream...

Oh yea, when I was younger I was looking forward to these fringe players becoming something.

I dont get my hopes up now. A small part of me does, I guess, but that part is shrinking by the day. But hey, I'm now kind of appreciating that guys like Phil Pressey had pretty fun runs - go be Phil Pressey, Bol!

btw Udoka's comments on Bol so far, with Bol returning to practices - https://www.celticsblog.com/2022/1/26/22903459/ime-udoka-update-bol-bol-with-team-pj-dozier-still-rehabbing-boston-celtics-trade
...overall, he’s a quiet guy, but he’s fine.
Riveting lol

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2022, 09:34:11 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Isaiah was the dream...

Nah, Bruno is the one who’s getting moved.  Bol is staying, media people who say otherwise are simply dense.

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2022, 10:12:40 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Isaiah was the dream...

Nah, Bruno is the one who’s getting moved.  Bol is staying, media people who say otherwise are simply dense.

I'd be surprised to see either on the court at any point...

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2022, 10:43:39 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Isaiah was the dream...

Sure, but Bol isn’t getting salary dumped. The Celtics want to monitor him/see him work out for a few months before deciding to offer him a contract.  I’d say it’s 50-50 they give him a qualifying offer.  But when looking at their future, they don’t talk about Bruno.

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2022, 11:10:34 PM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20

Isaiah was the dream...

Sure, but Bol isn’t getting salary dumped. The Celtics want to monitor him/see him work out for a few months before deciding to offer him a contract.  I’d say it’s 50-50 they give him a qualifying offer.  But when looking at their future, they don’t talk about Bruno.

I totally agree with this. I think Bol Bol has a real potential for value with us that could not be realized in denver. Jokic is a poor defender. This makes him a natural poor fit with Bol. I think BS sees him as a potential good fit next to Rob.

We will see if he has the work ethic to stick and make it happen. I could see us looking back at this as a shrewd move but I could also see it be a big nothing burger. I think he sticks for at least a year or two.

Personally, Im bullish on Bol Bol. When you look at his college stats and pedigree, its hard to dismiss him outright.