Author Topic: Nets (32-35) at Celtics (44-23) Seeding Game #4 8/5/20  (Read 12898 times)

Re: Nets (32-35) at Celtics (44-23) Seeding Game #4 8/5/20
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2020, 12:24:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Possibly unpopular opinion: Robert Williams is a good offensive big man, but a poor defensive big man. He keeps the ball moving, sets good picks, swings it side to side, finds the open man, and is a real threat on rolls. From what I saw last night, he was in the right position defensively about 25% of the time. He made a few nice blocks and recoveries after a pick-and-roll, but he was consistently out of position and made little attempt to hedge off drives to the rim -- that was against G-leaguers. He has to get better there. If he hedged the lane half as well as Theis, he would be a starter for a long time in the league. Theis is only in the NBA because he understands positioning so well. I think Williams will get better, but I'm guessing he's gonna need 3-4 more years before he is consistent enough to be relied on.

I like Romeo too. He's doing the little things really well right now. One thing that bothers me is that he is not getting enough touches to create on offense. Maybe it's a rookie thing. Maybe he's a bit passive. That's his best skill and I look forward to seeing more of it.

No offense, but I find the criticisms of Williams being out of position most of the time to be without base. I doubt any of us here are qualified to understand what the switching assignments are on every defensive situation.  Sure there are moments he gets crossed up, where it is obvious. To say that occurred 75% of the time is a bit of an exaggeration.  When you consider that we are near the bottom in defensive ranking the first 3 games without Robert Williams playing hardly suggests that we are doing things better on the defensive end without him.

None taken. Not what my eyes see. I'm consistently frustrated with the way he hedges the lane and defends the rim. He looks great the other 25% of the time. That 75% is little things. The 25% looks pretty good when gets a block or tip or steal.

Alright footey. Just to concede a bit. I don't think I saw Williams out of place once in his minutes against the Raptors. That was pretty cool.

TP DWC.  I think the added reps are really helping him play correctly.  Not to mention improving his conditioning.  Williams got winded during Nets game, admitted as much after the game.

He will have his boneheaded moments, but I think we are starting to see him mature.  Being out most of season really set him back, playing a lot of catch up now.