Author Topic: Where would of Marcus Smart been drafted if he declared for the 2013 draft?  (Read 6046 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I thought I read he was less regarded than Ben mclemore ... So i suspect he would have gone after mclemore.

I remember him being regarded more highly than McLemore.  Early mocks had him going #2 after Noel. 

McLemore supposedly slid because of his personal issues.  He has a terrible family and he had an awful childhood which scared people away.

anybody else understand why Sac picked Stauskus 8th when Mclemore is suppose to be the future starting SG??

Is stauskus going to play the point??

I think its still a possibility to get Mclemore and multiple 1st picks for Rondo (and they can eat Wallace contract)

I like to hope that Stauskus is coming here (they can send him at zero salary until he signs), and they're keeping Mclemore. And Ryan Lewis, I hope.

that is jokes.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I thought I read he was less regarded than Ben mclemore ... So i suspect he would have gone after mclemore.

I remember him being regarded more highly than McLemore.  Early mocks had him going #2 after Noel. 

McLemore supposedly slid because of his personal issues.  He has a terrible family and he had an awful childhood which scared people away.

anybody else understand why Sac picked Stauskus 8th when Mclemore is suppose to be the future starting SG??

I think its still a possibility to get Mclemore and multiple 1st picks for Rondo (and they can eat Wallace contract)

I like to hope that Stauskus is coming here (they can send him at zero salary until he signs), and they're keeping Mclemore. And Ryan Lewis, I hope.

Vonleh would have looked great at pf next to Cousins.  Stauskas made no sense since they have McLemore.  Maybe there's a handshake of a trade and they're waiting to be able to sign restricted free agents as part of a sign and trade?  I guess I'm just being hopeful because I would love to see Stauskas and Smart paired up.  They would complement each other beautifully.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You didn't read that, but thanks for sharing.
I did, though.  I thought mclemore was considered the 2nd best prospect behind Noel for most of the season.  I thought his slide in the draft happened late.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Because McLemore stinks?

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
2nd. 1st if Cleveland didn't have Irving. Orlando already came out and said they would have taken Smart last year so not worth debating.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
On my phone right now. This is the only comparison I could find and it says mclemore is the better prospect. http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1533178-who-has-the-brighter-nba-future-ben-mclemore-or-marcus-smart

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
On my phone right now. This is the only comparison I could find and it says mclemore is the better prospect. http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1533178-who-has-the-brighter-nba-future-ben-mclemore-or-marcus-smart

That article was dated Feb 18.  Smart finished the season strong while McLemore did not.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

That article was dated Feb 18.  Smart finished the season strong while McLemore did not.
Fair enough. 

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Top 3.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
McLemore was rated higher (5th) than Smart (9th) in 1/2013 by Draft Express. Smart opted out of the draft in April. At the time Woj said Smart was projected to be top 5 in the draft.

Draft Express had McLemore ranked at #2 after Noel in 5/2013 for the first and only time. Noel was 1st or 2nd all year. McLemore was ranked 5th in Draft Express's final mock. Smart was not ranked. He was supposedly very high on ORL's radar according to various sources and they picked 2nd. Since he wasn't in the draft, we don't know how he would have fared in the try-out process.

SAC was happy to have McLemore fall to 7 in the draft. McLemore went on to struggle badly in the Vegas SL and was mentioned as one of the biggest disappointments there. He then had an awful 1st year and was in trade rumors by the trading deadline.

The selection of Stuakas seems to mean that SAC wants something better at the SG than what they had last year. Given how much they need a PG and PF, it was a surprise to most that they took Staukas over Payton or Vonleh. Unless they are planning to move Staukas in another deal, it's tough to see how this bodes well for McLemore though you would think they would have given him another year.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
McLemore was rated higher (5th) than Smart (9th) in 1/2013 by Draft Express. Smart opted out of the draft in April. At the time Woj said Smart was projected to be top 5 in the draft.

Draft Express had McLemore ranked at #2 after Noel in 5/2013 for the first and only time. Noel was 1st or 2nd all year. McLemore was ranked 5th in Draft Express's final mock. Smart was not ranked. He was supposedly very high on ORL's radar according to various sources and they picked 2nd. Since he wasn't in the draft, we don't know how he would have fared in the try-out process.

SAC was happy to have McLemore fall to 7 in the draft. McLemore went on to struggle badly in the Vegas SL and was mentioned as one of the biggest disappointments there. He then had an awful 1st year and was in trade rumors by the trading deadline.

The selection of Stuakas seems to mean that SAC wants something better at the SG than what they had last year. Given how much they need a PG and PF, it was a surprise to most that they took Staukas over Payton or Vonleh. Unless they are planning to move Staukas in another deal, it's tough to see how this bodes well for McLemore though you would think they would have given him another year.
Thanks.  I think some people thought I was trolling. I specifically remember ben being considered a better prospect

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Its a known fact that Orlando would have taken him with the #2. Thats why you hear all the hoopla from the media, because he lost money. But I am happy getting him at 6 and that he waited to come to the NBA because we would not have gotten him otherwise.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Why get rid of Wallace, and pay to do so, if we are not contending for anything. Having his salary does not hurt us the way some people think.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I don't think Cleveland would have taken Smart at #1. I don't remember him being linked all that strongly with CLE and the Cavs already had Kyrie and Waiters.

Orlando is a strong possibility at #2. Oladipo vs Smart is a tough decision and many people prefer Oladipo over Smart -- I think it's because Oladipo has more explosive quickness otherwise quite similar [high level defender/rebounders with somewhat of an offensive game largely based around slashing ability] -- so I do not think Smart is a sure thing here. Fair chance but not sure thing.

Washington had John Wall and Bradley Beal coming off a very successful season. I think they pass on Smart.

Charlotte at #4. Yeah, I think they take Smart if Orlando passed on Smart for Oladipo. Cody Zeller was nothing special as a prospect. Smart a lot more enticing. Charlotte could fit him into the backcourt. Give them a really intriguing trio to build around in Kemba Walker (PG), Marcus Smart (SG) and MKG (SF) on perimeter.

So I think Smart goes either #2 or #4.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Why would we?

Rondo (when healthy) is still an All-Star calibre PG, while McLemore (from what I've seen) looks to have BUST written all over him.