Author Topic: Daytona 500 ends with a fiery crash  (Read 6407 times)

Daytona 500 ends with a fiery crash
« on: February 17, 2020, 10:10:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Brutal. https://youtu.be/3F929PWwprE

The driver side takes a beating from that car that sends it airborne. You can see heavy deformity in that side.

Does not look good.

Re: Daytona 500 ends with a fiery crash
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 10:50:30 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
According to ESPN, doctors say he sustained non-life threatening injuries. Hopefully he'll be okay and didn't suffer any burns (severe or not).

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 10:51:29 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Woah. I hope he's okay.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 11:05:37 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Man that fuel spill. If the fire team was even 10 seconds late, that whole car would've engulfed in flames.

Newman surviving that is crazy. Wishing him a full recovery.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 11:06:17 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
According to ESPN, doctors say he sustained non-life threatening injuries. Hopefully he'll be okay and didn't suffer any burns (severe or not).
thankfully. I was prepared for the worst

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 11:16:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man that fuel spill. If the fire team was even 10 seconds late, that whole car would've engulfed in flames.

Newman surviving that is crazy. Wishing him a full recovery.
Yeah, the liquids from the car were streaming down it. Seemed moments from absolute disaster (as opposed to the disaster it is anyway).

Thankfully non-life threatening. Hope he can make a full and speedy recovery
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 12:02:58 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Amazing how safety technology has progressed to the point where someone can survive that. I'm sure luck plays a part in it as well. I watched Ford v Ferrari on VOD last week and back in those days safety tech basically amounted to a flameproof suit and a roll bar and motorsport deaths were commonplace. Glad to know Newman is ok.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 12:26:25 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Stupid question...the reports are saying he's in serious condition and also the injuries are non-life threatening. Is it me or do those terms almost contradict each other?

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 12:31:26 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Stupid question...the reports are saying he's in serious condition and also the injuries are non-life threatening. Is it me or do those terms almost contradict each other?
No. Serious is less serious than critical. 

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 12:41:09 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
i get where you’re coming from. If something is not life threatening, it really isn’t that serious

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 09:38:00 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
i get where you’re coming from. If something is not life threatening, it really isn’t that serious

Yeah, tell that to people who have been paralyzed, had limbs amputated, or dozens upon dozens of afflictions.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 09:51:57 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Amazing how safety technology has progressed to the point where someone can survive that. I'm sure luck plays a part in it as well. I watched Ford v Ferrari on VOD last week and back in those days safety tech basically amounted to a flameproof suit and a roll bar and motorsport deaths were commonplace. Glad to know Newman is ok.

Most of these drivers today literally owe their lives to Dale Earnhardt. His tragic death was the impetus for many of the safety protocols used today.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 12:35:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Yeah, tell that to people who have been paralyzed, had limbs amputated, or dozens upon dozens of afflictions.
First off, you’re contradicting lol.  both paralysis and limb amputation are very  life threatening.

Second, He’s walking around and joking with the hospital employees

What’s serious

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 12:26:42 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
He was released from hospital today. Amazing to see him walk out of the hospital with his kids after what he just went through. Very lucky guy.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 12:33:07 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

The American Hospitals Association recommends the following terms be used to describe patient condition:

• Undetermined - Patient is awaiting physician and/or assessment.
  • Good - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
  • Fair - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious, but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
  • Serious - Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
  • Critical - Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
  • Treated and Released – This could mean the patient was sent home or to another facility.
  • Confirming patient deaths – We will report or confirm a patient’s death only after signed consent from next of kin.

Vital signs include but are not limited to:

• Blood pressure: 90/60 mm/Hg to 120/80 mm/Hg
  • Breathing: 12 – 18 breaths per minute
  • Pulse: 60 – 100 beats per minute
  • Temperature: 97.8 – 99.1 degrees Fahrenheit / average 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit