Author Topic: 2019 Summer Rumors official thread  (Read 198538 times)

Re: 2019 Summer Rumors official thread
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 10:10:13 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Nope. Signing him (Brogdon) might block us from doing something big 2 offseasons from now. He's not a good enough player to tie up this much cap space.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Nope. Signing him (Brogdon) might block us from doing something big 2 offseasons from now. He's not a good enough player to tie up this much cap space.

However, Hayward will be off the books by then. Also, Smart will have a $13 million dollar expiring contract and Jaylen Brown could be gone by then, depending on what happens with restricted free agency.

Also, Brogdon could be a draw for Giannis in free agency as the two have been teammates for several seasons now.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Brooklyn Nets going after Durant, Kyrie & DeAndre Jordan..hope to get all 3..also Kyrie bought a home in South Orange NJ....source: Hoopshype
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 10:52:12 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

However, Hayward will be off the books by then. Also, Smart will have a $13 million dollar expiring contract and Jaylen Brown could be gone by then, depending on what happens with restricted free agency.

Also, Brogdon could be a draw for Giannis in free agency as the two have been teammates for several seasons now.
Well, if Brogdon and Giannis are good friends, that's an entirely different matter.

OTOH, Brown also might be re-signed, I don't think Ainge will ever let go of Smart, and we might have a few more high 1st round contracts on the books. I don't want Ainge to have to play musical chairs to try to sign a max FA, especially if you lose a major asset on the cheap because of it.

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 11:10:53 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
this seems to qualify as rumor....

Per Keith Smith on twitter, the Celtics are potentially looking at the following RFAs: Malcolm Brogdon, Thomas Bryant, and Tomas Satoransky

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1143322099890761734

i would like each of these players if the price is right.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2019, 11:11:10 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I know Brogdon is a popular target on this site (and rightfully so), here's an interesting tidbit on how far Milwaukee would go to match any offer sheets.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/06/free-agent-rumors-dedmon-birch-beverley-brogdon.html

Despite a history of foot issues that could limit his value to some extent, the Bucks are “bracing” for a big offer sheet for Malcolm Brogdon, per Lowe. If Brogdon gets a deal in the range of $20MM+ per year, Milwaukee may have to decide between becoming a taxpaying team or letting him go.

If you're the Celts and Brogdon is a player you absolutely covet, do you make him an offer that Milwaukee probably won't match? (as they'll probably be maxed out, likely re-signing Middleton)

I will admit, Brogdon/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/(insert FA center) is a team I can get behind.

Can Brogdan be had for a cheaper price than Beverly? I do like the idea of prying him away from Milwaukee - but not for >20mill. 12mill I would consider.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
According to Celtics wire and maxwell #11 jersey was available to rookies

This seems odds to me (though I've read it too).  So with primo numbers like 4, 8, 11 available, Carsen Edwards willingly choose #29 (he wore #3 in high school and college)?  Maybe there was some miscommunication and they were told #11 would likely be available later and that they could change their number before the season?

If you want the deep Celtics rumors, well it seems like Grant Williams has his eye on somebody else's number if you read between the lines on this tweet from him:
Hello to everyone who has asked or is thinking about purchasing my jersey. It is not certain i will be wearing number 40 this season however i will be wearing the number 40 for summer league play. Thank you so much!! #GoCeltics 💚☘️💚☘️

He wore #2 in high school and college which isn't available, but 9, 11, 12, 13, 30, 42, 50 which were all taken last season may become available this summer (some more likely than others).

Grant Williams already causing problems in the Celtics locker room

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2019, 11:38:00 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
NOT A RUMOR BUT SPECULATION (sorry, but just wanted to share)

Skip Bayless says it's possible Durant would consider joining the Celtics, though admits it's a long shot
https://nesn.com/2019/06/why-skip-bayless-wont-rule-out-kevin-durant-joining-boston-celtics/

Wait, Skip's theory is that KD would *team up with Kyrie* in Boston? I'd be interested to hear how that cap room works.
Probably some sign & trade scenario? Even though they're very rare

Either that or Durant opts-in, only for the Warriors to deal him to Boston for Hayward.

On another note, Durant is reportedly furious with the Warriors as he feels he was misled about his injury. Regardless of where he ends up, he is so gone from Golden State.

I have a hard time seeing the Celtics pay that same max slot three years in a row for an injured player.

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
NOT A RUMOR BUT SPECULATION (sorry, but just wanted to share)

Skip Bayless says it's possible Durant would consider joining the Celtics, though admits it's a long shot
https://nesn.com/2019/06/why-skip-bayless-wont-rule-out-kevin-durant-joining-boston-celtics/

Wait, Skip's theory is that KD would *team up with Kyrie* in Boston? I'd be interested to hear how that cap room works.
Probably some sign & trade scenario? Even though they're very rare

Either that or Durant opts-in, only for the Warriors to deal him to Boston for Hayward.

On another note, Durant is reportedly furious with the Warriors as he feels he was misled about his injury. Regardless of where he ends up, he is so gone from Golden State.

I have a hard time seeing the Celtics pay that same max slot three years in a row for an injured player.

Considering KD even with his Achilles could still end up being a top 15 player, I think you take that risk.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 11:48:48 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Per Keith Smith on twitter, the Celtics are potentially looking at the following RFAs: Malcolm Brogdon, Thomas Bryant, and Tomas Satoransky

Isn't it very risky going after RFA's, as the other team has a window of time to decide to match? And if the team decides to wait until the last minute to match, your team could be out of the remaining free agents because your cap space is tied to the offer of the RFA?

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Isn't it very risky going after RFA's, as the other team has a window of time to decide to match? And if the team decides to wait until the last minute to match, your team could be out of the remaining free agents because your cap space is tied to the offer of the RFA?

I think it's just doing due diligence on the part of the Celts.

Malcolm Brogdon, Thomas Bryant, and Satoransky will only make the Celts slightly better.
It's not like they're going to make the Celts instant contenders.

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1143322099890761734?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1143322099890761734&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

After Boston and Brooklyn swung their big trade, the Nets became famous for signing RFAs to big offer sheets.

It might be the Celtics turn at that game this summer, with chatter building that Malcolm Brogdon, Thomas Bryant and Tomas Satoransky are potential targets.

Disclaimer - it's Keith Smith. But this wouldn't surprise me, even though I'm not sure how "gettable" any of these guys really are as restricted free agents.
I think a worst case scenario is Thomas Bryant and Tomas Satoransky.

Satoransky is criminally underrated. Great player, can play pg or sg and would make a great compliment to Smart/Brown/Langford at that position.

Bryant is a beast in the making. a beast.
You use the word great like Trump does.  Great isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of Satoransky.

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1143322099890761734?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1143322099890761734&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

After Boston and Brooklyn swung their big trade, the Nets became famous for signing RFAs to big offer sheets.

It might be the Celtics turn at that game this summer, with chatter building that Malcolm Brogdon, Thomas Bryant and Tomas Satoransky are potential targets.

Disclaimer - it's Keith Smith. But this wouldn't surprise me, even though I'm not sure how "gettable" any of these guys really are as restricted free agents.

Satoransky is criminally underrated. Great player, can play pg or sg and would make a great compliment to Smart/Brown/Langford at that position.

You use the word great like Trump does.  Great isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of Satoransky.

It should be.

He is top 3 on pretty much any nba team. Very underrated player.

Good shooter. Good playmaker. Good defense. Very good intelligence. Sneaky athletic.

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 12:21:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Danny had a shot to draft Bryant in the 2nd round

2 years ago...sigh

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 12:36:41 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

It should be.

He is top 3 on pretty much any nba team. Very underrated player.

Good shooter. Good playmaker. Good defense. Very good intelligence. Sneaky athletic.
You switched from great to good.  Now I agree with you.