Author Topic: What does Marcus Morris next contract look like?  (Read 5798 times)

Re: What does Marcus Morris next contract look like?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
re-signed for 25 mil per year contingent on Markieff joining the team for the vet minimum.  They share a bank account.

Markieff is a very mediocre player who is even worse on defense than Marcus. Why would we want him joining the team? Washington will be happy when they get rid of him and then we're picking him up?
You say even worse as if Mook is a bad defender, which is simply not the case. Markieff isn’t as good a shooter, but he’s an inch taller and a bit stronger. Not a mediocre player really. Solid scorer, solid rebounder and solid defender.

Mook looks like he should be a good defender and at the same time isn't. Not terrible per se, but not a good one. Mook has been splendid on offense though and that's the reason he's starting now, but he shouldn't be a starter in the long run since our defense suffers from it.

His brother looks like he's washed up. Yesterday he fouled out against Atlanta in just 17 minutes! That's embarrassing for a veteran player. He doesn't give effort anymore and he's not good enough to get away with that.

Guess I pretty strongly disagree that Mook isn't a good defender. He is not great at helpside, steals, or blocks, but he makes life really difficult for offensive players when they try to go one-on-one. In our scheme, that's what we ask him to do.

I still think that Markieff could be a lot better in a different situation.

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 08:59:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
re-signed for 25 mil per year contingent on Markieff joining the team for the vet minimum.  They share a bank account.

Markieff is a very mediocre player who is even worse on defense than Marcus. Why would we want him joining the team? Washington will be happy when they get rid of him and then we're picking him up?
You say even worse as if Mook is a bad defender, which is simply not the case. Markieff isn’t as good a shooter, but he’s an inch taller and a bit stronger. Not a mediocre player really. Solid scorer, solid rebounder and solid defender.

Mook looks like he should be a good defender and at the same time isn't. Not terrible per se, but not a good one. Mook has been splendid on offense though and that's the reason he's starting now, but he shouldn't be a starter in the long run since our defense suffers from it.

His brother looks like he's washed up. Yesterday he fouled out against Atlanta in just 17 minutes! That's embarrassing for a veteran player. He doesn't give effort anymore and he's not good enough to get away with that.

Guess I pretty strongly disagree that Mook isn't a good defender. He is not great at helpside, steals, or blocks, but he makes life really difficult for offensive players when they try to go one-on-one. In our scheme, that's what we ask him to do.

I still think that Markieff could be a lot better in a different situation.
Agree. Mook is an excellent one on one defender of most wings, as he has the length and strength to go with the majority. I also agree that Kieff is suffering from being a Wizard more than being washed up
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I can't see how Morris is brought back at anything more than MLE type money.  Just not enough minutes or dollars to go around.  He is playing too well right now to trade him, but if he reverts back some, I still think there is a decent chance Morris gets traded at the deadline so Boston gets out of the tax this year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 09:30:16 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
I can't see how Morris is brought back at anything more than MLE type money.  Just not enough minutes or dollars to go around.  He is playing too well right now to trade him, but if he reverts back some, I still think there is a decent chance Morris gets traded at the deadline so Boston gets out of the tax this year.

I kinda' thought Morris might be traded before this season too, but now, even if he does revert, I can't see trading him when the Cs are trying to make a legit championship run. He's part of the rotation and a starter.

Morris seems to me like the type of guy that would take a discount to stay in Boston. He's been in Detroit, Houston, and Phoenix with coaches that don't really put him in a position to succeed. Houston traded him before the end of his rookie contract. Phoenix traded him after they signed he and his brother to value contracts. Detroit was a mess for a variety of reasons.

Now that he found a good situation on a good team with a good coach that uses his abilities well, I could see him signing a value contract to stay in Boston long-term.

If the Cs do make a big trade next year and empty the depth of their roster, I could also see the Cs signing Markieff to a good contract. Ainge wanted him a few years ago before he was traded to the Suns.

I think Ainge could offer a 4 year deal at the MLE to Marcus and a shorter deal at the tax-payer mid-level (5-6 million) to Markieff.

However, if the Cs don't make a big trade, there just isn't much room for either.

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 09:39:08 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Danny Ainge has also said in the past Marcus is the better offensive player out of the 2 brothers (I remember him saying this close to when we traded for him).

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I kinda' thought Morris might be traded before this season too, but now, even if he does revert, I can't see trading him when the Cs are trying to make a legit championship run. He's part of the rotation and a starter.

Morris seems to me like the type of guy that would take a discount to stay in Boston. He's been in Detroit, Houston, and Phoenix with coaches that don't really put him in a position to succeed. Houston traded him before the end of his rookie contract. Phoenix traded him after they signed he and his brother to value contracts. Detroit was a mess for a variety of reasons.

Now that he found a good situation on a good team with a good coach that uses his abilities well, I could see him signing a value contract to stay in Boston long-term.

If the Cs do make a big trade next year and empty the depth of their roster, I could also see the Cs signing Markieff to a good contract. Ainge wanted him a few years ago before he was traded to the Suns.

I think Ainge could offer a 4 year deal at the MLE to Marcus and a shorter deal at the tax-payer mid-level (5-6 million) to Markieff.

However, if the Cs don't make a big trade, there just isn't much room for either.
He is in the rotation, but ideally he is the 7th or 8th man on the team.  Still valuable, but not so valuable he can't be moved especially in the playoffs when the minutes increase and the rotation shrinks.  I can even see a scenario where Morris barely plays in certain playoff series (the ones where Baynes is needed more).  That is also true of Rozier and given both of them are expiring contracts who have a very good chance of not returning, I wouldn't be surprised at all if either or both of them are moved for longer term pieces. 

Ideally the playoff rotation will be something like this

PG - Irving 38, Smart 10
SG - Smart 20, Brown 28
SF - Hayward 38, Brown 5, Tatum 5
PF - Tatum 33, Horford 5, Morris 10
C - Horford 33, Baynes 15

Or something in that range.  I really don't see the need for Rozier to play at all in the playoffs (other than foul trouble or blowouts).  Against some teams Morris will get more minutes than Baynes and against other teams Baynes gets more than Morris. 

So given that, I'd absolutely trade Rozier, and if the right trade came along for Morris, I'd move him without giving it much thought, especially if the trade dropped Boston below the tax this season (which I still think has a very real possibility of happening and being a goal).  The team is so close to not paying the tax, it would be a shame to start the tax clock ticking when some minor moves can get the team out from under it.

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Its safe to say Danny nailed the trade with Avery Bradley.  We have quality problems on our team.   I really think he might be traded at the trade deadline with one of our 1st rounders.    Right about the time Brown and Hayward seem to be rounding back into the players we hope they will be.   I can see Danny pulling another underrated move that will have us scratching our heads this year, but glad he did it next type of deal.    Sell high and buy low.....     

I can also see letting him walk or a sign and trade  next year.....     What ever he does, he is balling and him and Smart really give us a physicality edge at those two spots.   
Diggles

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 11:14:48 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

He is in the rotation, but ideally he is the 7th or 8th man on the team.  Still valuable, but not so valuable he can't be moved especially in the playoffs when the minutes increase and the rotation shrinks.  I can even see a scenario where Morris barely plays in certain playoff series (the ones where Baynes is needed more).  That is also true of Rozier and given both of them are expiring contracts who have a very good chance of not returning, I wouldn't be surprised at all if either or both of them are moved for longer term pieces. 

Ideally the playoff rotation will be something like this

PG - Irving 38, Smart 10
SG - Smart 20, Brown 28
SF - Hayward 38, Brown 5, Tatum 5
PF - Tatum 33, Horford 5, Morris 10
C - Horford 33, Baynes 15

Or something in that range.  I really don't see the need for Rozier to play at all in the playoffs (other than foul trouble or blowouts).  Against some teams Morris will get more minutes than Baynes and against other teams Baynes gets more than Morris. 

So given that, I'd absolutely trade Rozier, and if the right trade came along for Morris, I'd move him without giving it much thought, especially if the trade dropped Boston below the tax this season (which I still think has a very real possibility of happening and being a goal).  The team is so close to not paying the tax, it would be a shame to start the tax clock ticking when some minor moves can get the team out from under it.

I get that in a strictly dollar and cents move. But entire decades of potential great teams have been lost because a GM didn't want to pay the luxury tax when they were already a contending team. The players lose faith in the front office and waiver on resigning.

Ideally, Brown, Tatum, and Hayward would take Morris minutes completely and outperform him, but that hasn't happened.

Especially with a looming Anthony Davis trade where we are likely trading 3 or 4 for 1, its tough to trade role player away now too.

Honestly, I don't disagree with anything you said. I could see Ainge going either way. I'm just showing the other side of the picture.

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Rich Paul (Morris' agent) to Danny:  I represent Anthony Davis.  How much is it worth to you if we force a trade to Boston?

Danny:  Does Mook want the full five year max, or four years plus a player option?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 01:38:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Rich Paul (Morris' agent) to Danny:  I represent Anthony Davis.  How much is it worth to you if we force a trade to Boston?

Danny:  Does Mook want the full five year max, or four years plus a player option?

Ooh, shared agent with AD is a big wildcard. A bit more on the fence about whether Morris comes back or not.

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »

Offline Bdiddy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
If he only warrants an MLE contract Danny would be a fool not to bring him back. He fits a role on this team that Rozier and Brown do not. I personally keep Mook and let Rozier walk.

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 02:18:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Ooh, shared agent with AD is a big wildcard. A bit more on the fence about whether Morris comes back or not.
same agent as Lebron though as well.

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2018, 10:47:31 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Good game

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2018, 08:32:35 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Good game

He's exceptionally consistent.

Can we rely on him to keep this level of play if we re-sign him?

Morris has been the 2nd best player of the team so far. Very surprising. I thought he would be the guy to see his minutes decline by the return of Hayward.

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2018, 09:08:16 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
We need to figure out how to keep him. He is "money"! Every time he takes a shot I yell "money". My wife who's usually playing on her phone will look up because she knows.