Author Topic: T-Roz discusses relationship between Kyrie Irving and Brad Stevens.  (Read 4443 times)

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Get out your popcorn memes.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/nick-friar/rozier-talks-brad-stevens-and-kyrie-irvings-relationship

On Sports Illustrated’s podcast, “The Crossover,” fellow ex-Celtics guard Terry Rozier explained what it was like between his head coach and Boston’s 2018-19 starting point guard.

“I feel like it was more of … it kind of wasn’t coach-player. … It was kind of like coach-younger coach,” Rozier said. “When he came over (to Boston) he won a championship, him being who he is, Kyrie had a lot of stuff that he felt that could change, that he wanted to change about the Celtics. (These are) all on-court things. He felt like he knew a lot of his basketball.

Terry walks that part pretty carefully.   Would be interested to see it live to see if his body language gives up more.

Also lays plain what many suspected about Rozier being the one who was probably most affected by losing touches to Hayward:

“He’s Gordon Hayward. So, it’s like, you just can’t go away from him. You can’t treat him like he’s a regular player anyway. You got to make sure he gets his touches,” Rozier said. “But I kind of felt like that was more of a focus point for us. And I felt like that was too much of a focus point for us, of trying to get (Hayward) going instead of making sure everybody was on the same page.

“Like I said, I don’t have all the answers, but I didn’t, kind of, agree with that.”

I'm sure some will read this and bash Terry for saying it or for having those feelings.  And others will bash Brad for giving Hayward "special treatment".   Me?  I just think it was an unfortunate situation that had TR stuck here in the wrong role because Ainge needed to hedge against Kyrie possibly walking.   Ideally, TR could have been dealt the summer before and that would have been best for him and the team.   But with both GH & Kyrie coming back from injury and Kyrie not tied down beyond that season (and not to mention the uncertainty around whether an Anthony Davis trade could happen) Danny couldn't pull the trigger.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Re: T-Roz discusses relationship between Kyrie Irving and Brad Stevens.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 04:29:44 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Kyrie is a me player. Selfish guy who thinks he is smarter than he really is.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The Hayward part is a young player that says he gets it, but doesn't really get it.  The Irving part is far more interesting and if true, I have to really question not trading Irving at the deadline last year.  The team was a mess and it seems like Irving was the major reason why.  He should have been moved.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 04:39:55 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Let's be honest: so is Rozier.

I love T-Ro and I will always appreciate him for what he did here, but he is the only player from last year's team that has really publicly complained about the situation.

Tatum hasn't said anything. Brown hasn't said anything. Kyrie has actually accepted some blame.

A healthy Hayward probably would have been our best all-around player last season, so of course Brad was going to try and establish him early on to help him get his legs back. The worst thing you possibly could have done with Hayward was not play him at all.

Honestly, the 2018 playoff run caused Rozier to get too big for his britches. I wish him nothing but the best in Charlotte, but he was never one of the best players on the Celtics, and he was always expendable.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
The Hayward part is a young player that says he gets it, but doesn't really get it.  The Irving part is far more interesting and if true, I have to really question not trading Irving at the deadline last year.  The team was a mess and it seems like Irving was the major reason why.  He should have been moved.
The Celtics were trying to win a title last season, and based on how they played against top competition during the regular season, there was every reason to believe that they had a shot based on talent alone. That's why Ainge didn't trade Irving.

Hindsight is 20/20, not to mention that the return for Irving would have been incredibly underwhelming anyway.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 04:42:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Just a bad year....a perfect storm of bad...

Not one person to blame, but many.....

Easily my least favorite year being a Celtics Fan....but even THEN we DID have a few bright spots.

I think ALL parties are at a better place, though..

GH is back. He wouldn't have arrived at this point if it weren't for the touches that he received last year..he overcame a horrible injury AND a trying recovery time to reach this point.

T-Roz has the starting spot he always wanted...he had some memorable times in BOS, especially during that magical 2017-18 run..

The Jays are All-Stars...even if just ONE of them made it this year.

Kyrie is home...and seems happy. He'll be even happier once Durant gets back.

Al Horford got paid...even IF his team is floundering right now...

The past is the past.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I love T-Ro and I will always appreciate him for what he did here, but he is the only player from last year's team that has really publicly complained about the situation.

Tatum hasn't said anything. Brown hasn't said anything. Kyrie has actually accepted some blame.

A healthy Hayward probably would have been our best all-around player last season, so of course Brad was going to try and establish him early on to help him get his legs back. The worst thing you possibly could have done with Hayward was not play him at all.

Honestly, the 2018 playoff run caused Rozier to get too big for his britches. I wish him nothing but the best in Charlotte, but he was never one of the best players on the Celtics, and he was always expendable.

All of this. TP.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The Celtics were trying to win a title last season, and based on how they played against top competition during the regular season, there was every reason to believe that they had a shot based on talent alone. That's why Ainge didn't trade Irving.

Hindsight is 20/20, not to mention that the return for Irving would have been incredibly underwhelming anyway.
What talent?  I mean that seriously.  Boston had no true top end talent and that almost always wins the day in the post season.  And for me it wasn't hindsight, as I absolutely said that thing all over this board (with much disdain from the masses) and also said that Boston should look to move Irving last year at the deadline as I had several long term concerns with even re-signing Irving let alone the chance that he would leave.  In fact, I would have moved Irving and then used the assets to go hard after Davis.  For example, I proposed some variation of this 3-team trade on this board a lot leading into the deadline last year.

Boston - Davis, Moore
New York - Irving
New Orleans - Brown, Yabu, Kanter, Knox, Ntkilina, Bos 1st, NY top 5 protected 1st

Maybe it wouldn't have happened, but it was a trade that seemed fairly reasonable at the time. 

The simple reality is, Irving was a disaster from almost the minute he as acquired.  He was a cancer wrecking havoc in the locker-room, just like he did in Cleveland (this board wanted to put that on Lebron, but it was almost all on Irving).  And he is a player that gets love like, and firmly believes that he is a franchise player and superstar.  He isn't and never has been.  He has always been a problem and the team should have cut its losses and moved on, especially when Ainge failed to surround Irving with a true #1 (like say Kawhi). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Has Rozier made any public announcement where he acknowledges that he was partly to blame?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 05:28:51 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Has Rozier made any public announcement where he acknowledges that he was partly to blame?
This is where my biggest problem is. Let's say that he thinks his minutes were unjustly take by Hayward and Kyrie. What does he do next? Instead of trying to prove everyone wrong by playing well, he plays horribly, then complains to the media. Brown and Hayward took their benching in stride, and started to play much better. I respect that much more than what Rozier did.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 05:54:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Exactly my sentiments, on both counts. TP.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 06:05:53 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
The Irving part is far more interesting and if true, I have to really question not trading Irving at the deadline last year.  The team was a mess and it seems like Irving was the major reason why.  He should have been moved.

yup ...  me too

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 06:06:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
In hindsight, it's really unbelievable we didn't move Rozier after the 2018 season. His value was very good and it's not like we didn't know Hayward was coming back.

I was not a huge fan of Morris getting so many touches/shots on offense, but he just took what was given to him. Rozier pretty much went out of his way to get everything he could and was seemingly a nuisance throughout all of last season.

I don't dislike Rozier - he was a lot of fun and had tons of personality - but I wonder how last season would have gone just with him removed.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 06:13:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

It's a team game. If Irving is the major reason for our failures last year, then it doesn't just apply to Irving, it applies to our front office, coaching staff, and everyone else. No one is too much of a 'key,' or 'major,' piece to prove why our team last year wasn't clicking chemistry-wise.

Just a bad year....a perfect storm of bad...

Not one person to blame, but many.....

Easily my least favorite year being a Celtics Fan....but even THEN we DID have a few bright spots.

I think ALL parties are at a better place, though..

GH is back. He wouldn't have arrived at this point if it weren't for the touches that he received last year..he overcame a horrible injury AND a trying recovery time to reach this point.

T-Roz has the starting spot he always wanted...he had some memorable times in BOS, especially during that magical 2017-18 run..

The Jays are All-Stars...even if just ONE of them made it this year.

Kyrie is home...and seems happy. He'll be even happier once Durant gets back.

Al Horford got paid...even IF his team is floundering right now...

The past is the past.

Yes, this.

Also, this.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 06:22:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Get out your popcorn memes.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/nick-friar/rozier-talks-brad-stevens-and-kyrie-irvings-relationship

On Sports Illustrated’s podcast, “The Crossover,” fellow ex-Celtics guard Terry Rozier explained what it was like between his head coach and Boston’s 2018-19 starting point guard.

“I feel like it was more of … it kind of wasn’t coach-player. … It was kind of like coach-younger coach,” Rozier said. “When he came over (to Boston) he won a championship, him being who he is, Kyrie had a lot of stuff that he felt that could change, that he wanted to change about the Celtics. (These are) all on-court things. He felt like he knew a lot of his basketball.

Terry walks that part pretty carefully.   Would be interested to see it live to see if his body language gives up more.

Also lays plain what many suspected about Rozier being the one who was probably most affected by losing touches to Hayward:

“He’s Gordon Hayward. So, it’s like, you just can’t go away from him. You can’t treat him like he’s a regular player anyway. You got to make sure he gets his touches,” Rozier said. “But I kind of felt like that was more of a focus point for us. And I felt like that was too much of a focus point for us, of trying to get (Hayward) going instead of making sure everybody was on the same page.

“Like I said, I don’t have all the answers, but I didn’t, kind of, agree with that.”

I'm sure some will read this and bash Terry for saying it or for having those feelings.  And others will bash Brad for giving Hayward "special treatment".   Me?  I just think it was an unfortunate situation that had TR stuck here in the wrong role because Ainge needed to hedge against Kyrie possibly walking.   Ideally, TR could have been dealt the summer before and that would have been best for him and the team.   But with both GH & Kyrie coming back from injury and Kyrie not tied down beyond that season (and not to mention the uncertainty around whether an Anthony Davis trade could happen) Danny couldn't pull the trigger.   

Interesting considering Terry had the third most touches on the team on a per game basis last season.

And in terms of total touches only Kyrie had more touches than Terry did.

As for Kyrie, it's clear he really wanted his own team built around his style of play. A more iso style. Or one which is more LeBronesque where he holds the ball, draws the defense and kicks out for an assist. Can't really blame him given that's his skillset. Just the wrong fit for the Celtics. Hopefully he will find that in Brooklyn with KD (as long as he can stay healthy).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:27:41 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D