Author Topic: Should wins be more important than injury prevention?  (Read 1141 times)

Should wins be more important than injury prevention?
« on: February 02, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
One of the keys to Popovich's playoff sucess was that he gave players games off to rest in order to help minimize the chance of injuries or over-fatigue.

Lately, Stevens is shortening the rotation to 8 players and I don't see signs of rest days off.

Sure, the team is winning. Wouldn't it be wiser to expand the rotation a bit and give players more time to rest. For example,  why not give Jason more time to heal from his groin pull? Let's find if Langford  can pull his weight in a winning effort. Smart doesn't know the meaning of 'relax.'

Any thoughts?

Re: Should wins be more important than injury prevention?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:33:27 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I don't mind the shortening of the rotation given the opposition we have played the last week or so and given the fact we are heading into the al-star break and (most of) the team get a bit of a break through that period.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
One of the keys to Popovich's playoff sucess was that he gave players games off to rest in order to help minimize the chance of injuries or over-fatigue.

Lately, Stevens is shortening the rotation to 8 players and I don't see signs of rest days off.

Sure, the team is winning. Wouldn't it be wiser to expand the rotation a bit and give players more time to rest. For example,  why not give Jason more time to heal from his groin pull? Let's find if Langford  can pull his weight in a winning effort. Smart doesn't know the meaning of 'relax.'

Any thoughts?

Bringing the deep bench seemed to also be hurting the play of our top rotation players.  Better to get them in gear than rest them into the wrong levels of effort.

One thing that’s been nice to see is Semi becoming a viable 8th man in this shortened rotation.  Assuming we ever have everyone healthy, it looks like the rotation should be 9-10 most nights.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 05:04:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Any thoughts?

Bringing the deep bench seemed to also be hurting the play of our top rotation players.  Better to get them in gear than rest them into the wrong levels of effort.

One thing that’s been nice to see is Semi becoming a viable 8th man in this shortened rotation.  Assuming we ever have everyone healthy, it looks like the rotation should be 9-10 most nights.
Exactly. Stevens is playing his playoff rotation guys and with days off for some due to injury and tough competition, it was the right move.

Right now the bench for the playoffs look like Smart, Kanter, Semi, Wanamaker and Grant. I can see Brad going 9 deep with the top 7 eating most of the minutes.

Keeping guys healthy is very important. Not sure we have seen any load management. I genuinely believe the guys missing games have been injured.

You don't play guys if they are injured.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 05:41:53 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I get the point of rest and injury prevention, but I think the primary goal is getting to that 2-seed. 

Without the 2-seed, the C's have to gut out a series win v. Philly, Miami, Toronto or Indy on the road -- and then play the Bucks.   

Also, getting the 2-seed means the C's get Brooklyn or Orlando in the 1st round.  And Kyrie will be hurt by then so...

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 05:42:17 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Comes down to whether or not people value the journey more than the destination.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 06:21:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If you are a true contender where seeding doesn't matter much, then rest is fine, but Boston isn't those things.  Boston needs to be the 2 seed to have a real shot at making the ECF, let alone the Finals.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip