Author Topic: What's the smallest contract offer that would get Hayward to opt out?  (Read 4599 times)

Re: What's the smallest contract offer that would get Hayward to opt out?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 01:17:37 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I think there is a major flaw in the assumption of this question, that tampering will be involved. After this past offseason, I would be shocked if any team wants to feel the wrath of Adam Silver. I feel like there would be major ramifications for any team that is found tampering starting next off season.

The Celtics will be the only team Gordon can talk to before deciding to opt in or out. And until that time, Danny will be talking to Gordon. Will those talks directly affect Danny’s plans this offseason? For instance, if the plan is for Gordon to opt out but resign for 4 years and $100M, does Danny try to go after Karl Anthony Towns? Jaylen’s new contract kicks in next offseason at $23M, which will greatly help match salaries (along with other players and picks).

If Gordon leaves, the Celtics lose out on his max slot, with no one to replace him. But if we resign him, then why not use Jaylen’s near max slot to help upgrade at a position of need, and with someone as young and talented (Towns).

Obviously, I made some huge assumptions too (Towns being available and Minny wanting Jaylen). I was just trying to highlight how Danny will have options next offseason.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 01:26:52 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
IMO, if Gordon really loves it here, he won't opt out, or will opt out and resign with us.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
The upcoming FA market is also a factor.  This offseason is light on star-level players. 

Davis likely stays in LA, though I'm sure the Knicks have deluded themselves into believing they have a chance.  And I think the Pelicans will match any offer sheet Ingram gets this summer unless they get cheap.  Hayward, DeRozan (both with player options), and Gallinari are probably the next group.  If Hayward opts out, he may be the best free agent who is reasonably obtainable this offseason.  That would drive his price up substantially, I'd imagine.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 01:35:37 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The upcoming FA market is also a factor.  This offseason is light on star-level players. 

Davis likely stays in LA, though I'm sure the Knicks have deluded themselves into believing they have a chance.  And I think the Pelicans will match any offer sheet Ingram gets this summer unless they get cheap.  Hayward, DeRozan (both with player options), and Gallinari are probably the next group.  If Hayward opts out, he may be the best free agent who is reasonably obtainable this offseason.  That would drive his price up substantially, I'd imagine.

This is true, but there are questions about what kind of team he wants to play for.

I'm not sure there is another team that is as much of a contender as Boston is, and they have the CBS connection.

I could possibly see something like an extend and trade if he requested being traded to a different contending team. In that trade we would get a rotation player back, but not the same value as Hayward.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 01:47:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see Gordon going anywhere.  I suspect he opts in to his final year because he's yet to really establish he was the player we originally signed and will need another season to show that --> that's if he's looking around for the biggest contract he can get.  I suspect he's content here and would like to stay provided we offer him fair money.  He either opts out for the sole purpose of resigning a longer deal (already agreed to with Danny) or he plays the year out and then resigns. 

I honestly believe we'll see the core 5 on this team together for another 4 years if not longer.  question for the front office is how to add better depth and/or better starting center for title runs if the current group of young players don't improve (which I think they will -- at least GWill and Langford if no one else)

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 01:49:06 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i would like gordon to opt out and give celtics a team friendly contract, given that the first two years of his current contract were a complete disaster(not his fault).

say 3 year 60-70 mill.

i love the guy and i want him on this team for a long time to come, but a lot of other factors must be accounted, and the biggest of them are jalyen's progress and jason's progress and next contract.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 01:52:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Work your magic, Uncle Brad

We are SO MUCH better with Gordon Hayward.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 01:53:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If I’m Hayward and Celtic fans keep posting that I stink and need to be traded, I opt out and go for the bread.

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 02:20:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Well, since we're likely hitching our wagon to Brown and Tatum moving forward, I'm not sure signing hayward long term is in the best interest of the team.  At that point, there has GOT to be another team/player that could be involved in a sign and trade that makes sense for both sides.

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 02:42:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
i would like gordon to opt out and give celtics a team friendly contract, given that the first two years of his current contract were a complete disaster(not his fault).

say 3 year 60-70 mill.

i love the guy and i want him on this team for a long time to come, but a lot of other factors must be accounted, and the biggest of them are jalyen's progress and jason's progress and next contract.

If he resigns with us this offseason opting out will probably be the first thing he wants off the table - he'll want an extension tacked on to the 1 year/$34 million he's already getting. Maybe clearing some of his salary off next year's books could help with the luxury tax etc but we'd have to pay more in subsequent years which just pushes the problem forward, so I'm not sure we'd have much incentive to do that either. And $60-70 million for 3 years replacing one year at $34 would be a complete deal-breaker.

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 03:10:05 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674

say 3 year 60-70 mill.

The bolded doesn't make sense to me. 

If the injury wasn't his fault, then why would Hayward take a pay cut for it?  He doesn't owe the Celtics anything.  And the injury was certainly far harder on him than it was on anybody else.  He's under no obligation to pay for it any more than he already has. 

If we want to keep Hayward, then we need to offer him a contract competitive with the market. 

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 12:10:28 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Gordon drops another 25 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists on 53.3% shooting.

4 straight games of 20+ points.  Averaging a 25/9/3 slash line on 56% shooting in that stretch.

If this is who he looks like going into free agency, he's simply not going be cheap.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 12:33:53 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Now that his stock is slowly rising again, maybe ship him out with a few picks before the deadline or in the offseason.

Get KAT.  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 01:02:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gordon drops another 25 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists on 53.3% shooting.

4 straight games of 20+ points.  Averaging a 25/9/3 slash line on 56% shooting in that stretch.

If this is who he looks like going into free agency, he's simply not going be cheap.
Funny thing, 5m. Kemba and Jayson may be All-Stars and Jaylen may be an All-Star snub but by March it could be well established that Hayward is the best player. Having that much high level wing offense and defense in a league that is starving for high level two way wings because they are so scarce, is going to be what makes this team so hard to beat.

And yeah, that's going to cost some big money.

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 02:48:46 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
IMO, if Gordon really loves it here, he won't opt out, or will opt out and resign with us.

same sentiment.

Why would he opt out and leave 35 m on the table but if not for a more long term security.

It should also be noted that the GH we may be seeing the last 4 games is an anomaly. He cannot sustain this production simply because of the too many mouths to feed dilema. The Js continue to improve and will want more shots then also there is MaRCUS CURRY...who has been shooting like wild animal since his record breaking performance

Also depends on the success we have in the playoffs, how far we go and if we do win a championship or atleast enter the finals...It will open a pandoras box and teams will follow the 3 wing combo which will make GH  very palatable to other teams.