Author Topic: What is this team's future?  (Read 6476 times)

Re: What is this team's future?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 04:06:47 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
One thing to keep in mind is that in a new NBA where players seem to be flying around in unrestricted free agency, this puts a premium on star players who are still on their rookie contracts, whom you know you can retain on their 2nd deal (that is, after they hit restricted free agency).

This is exactly what Ainge has done in holding onto Tatum and Brown, whom he'll have under team control for the next 4 and 6 years, respectively. In other words, he has two all-star level players locked up for the foreseeable future, with the rest of the cap/roster to play with. One of those guys looks like he's on a bargain deal (under the max) given his output, and the other guy (who will take up 25% of the cap, as opposed to 30-35% for older max players) looks like a possible MVP candidate in the coming years.

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 04:33:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
One thing to keep in mind is that in a new NBA where players seem to be flying around in unrestricted free agency, this puts a premium on star players who are still on their rookie contracts, whom you know you can retain on their 2nd deal (that is, after they hit restricted free agency).

This is exactly what Ainge has done in holding onto Tatum and Brown, whom he'll have under team control for the next 4 and 6 years, respectively. In other words, he has two all-star level players locked up for the foreseeable future, with the rest of the cap/roster to play with. One of those guys looks like he's on a bargain deal (under the max) given his output, and the other guy (who will take up 25% of the cap, as opposed to 30-35% for older max players) looks like a possible MVP candidate in the coming years.

I would add that I think in a strange way, the volatility of the star player market has made sub-star culture setting role players more valuable.

So you look at a guy like Marcus Smart, he's easier to retain because he's probably never going to make more than average starter money, and his value to your franchise is probably greater than his value in a vacuum (since his skillset is fairly unusual and he has some big flaws).  You can get him locked up on a long term deal and have him around to be a cultural constant and a leader.

Teams are less and less able to count on their "franchise player" to provide that consistency, so having lesser paid role players to do it is really valuable.

Kind of makes me think of Udonis Haslem on the Heat.  He was never a great player but he's been with that franchise forever -- technically he's still a player but he's basically a coach now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 04:35:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He didn't not go all in with Irving, Irving just left so that meant trading Tatum for Davis would have been a fool's errand.

I mean he let Horford walk. I think that's a sign of what he wants to build towards. I think the real fork in the road is Hayward and what happens with his deal and potential FA.
From the time Irving was acquired until Irving left, Boston didn't make a single trade (other than things like Bird).  That isn't going for it.  That is biding time and waiting for Davis and hoping you keep Irving happy.  Maybe if Ainge would have actually done something, Irving would have been happier and would have stayed.  Instead Ainge sat on his hands while everyone else got better.  He wasted a top 10 pick by being indecisive and doing literally nothing (aside adding some rookies) for 2 full seasons.  If he wasn't going to go for it, he shouldn't have acquired Irving.  It was a bad trade because he didn't follow it up.
Im willing to go a little easy on him because of Hayward.
He went out to get Irving when he thought he had the prime of Gordon Hayward. Then Hayward snapped his ankle in half and your thrust into this weird no mans land.
Like you say, why acquire Irving if you don’t plan to sorta go all in presumably in the form of moving a Jay or whatever. But when Hayward becomes a question mark all that math changes. At that point I really don’t think there was a trade out there that moved the needle enough to justify it. I also think Ainge was reasonable in believing they had a good chance to stand pat and retain Irving anyway and then moving forward you can reset and kinda remake that decision.
Basically, any GMs plan is gonna look Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.ty if their prized free agent signing suffers a career altering injury 6 minutes into their 1st season.
We praise Masai up and down because he “went for it” but how much praise would he be getting if Kawhi who has a much much bigger injury history than Irving broke his ankle opening night last year?
The problem is, Leonard was available.  It probably would have taken Smart and Brown to get it done, but you have to make that trade.  Boston acquires Leonard 2 summers ago, I don't know if Boston wins the title, but it certainly would have been better positioned to do so and also better positioned to keep Irving (if he and Leonard got along).  Heck maybe you decide that you like a Leonard/Davis team better and you move on from Irving to get Davis (by sending Irving to a 3rd team like say NY).  For years, Ainge sat on his hand just accumulating assets while letting great players go elsewhere (i.e. Butler, George, Cousins, etc.) and then when he finally makes a move, he acquires the worst "star" player and then doesn't follow it up with the all in trades it takes to win titles.

I equate the Irving acquisition very similarly to the Ray Allen one i.e. a very good player, but not a real franchise player (and this team had at least equivalent other talent with Hayward/Horford vs. Pierce).  What if Ainge had fallen so much in love with Jefferson that he refused to move him and Boston never acquired Garnett.  That is what happened with Irving.  He got the 2nd piece to the puzzle, but refused to go out and get the 1st piece.  Ainge failed miserably with the Irving trade because he never followed it up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
He didn't not go all in with Irving, Irving just left so that meant trading Tatum for Davis would have been a fool's errand.

I mean he let Horford walk. I think that's a sign of what he wants to build towards. I think the real fork in the road is Hayward and what happens with his deal and potential FA.
From the time Irving was acquired until Irving left, Boston didn't make a single trade (other than things like Bird).  That isn't going for it.  That is biding time and waiting for Davis and hoping you keep Irving happy.  Maybe if Ainge would have actually done something, Irving would have been happier and would have stayed.  Instead Ainge sat on his hands while everyone else got better.  He wasted a top 10 pick by being indecisive and doing literally nothing (aside adding some rookies) for 2 full seasons.  If he wasn't going to go for it, he shouldn't have acquired Irving.  It was a bad trade because he didn't follow it up.
He went out to get Irving when he thought he had the prime of Gordon Hayward. Then Hayward snapped his ankle in half and your thrust into this weird no mans land.
Like you say, why acquire Irving if you don’t plan to sorta go all in presumably in the form of moving a Jay or whatever. But when Hayward becomes a question mark all that math changes. At that point I really don’t think there was a trade out there that moved the needle enough to justify it. I also think Ainge was reasonable in believing they had a good chance to stand pat and retain Irving anyway and then moving forward you can reset and kinda remake that decision.
Basically, any GMs plan is gonna look Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.ty if their prized free agent signing suffers a career altering injury 6 minutes into their 1st season.
We praise Masai up and down because he “went for it” but how much praise would he be getting if Kawhi who has a much much bigger injury history than Irving broke his ankle opening night last year?
The problem is, Leonard was available.  It probably would have taken Smart and Brown to get it done, but you have to make that trade.  Boston acquires Leonard 2 summers ago, I don't know if Boston wins the title, but it certainly would have been better positioned to do so and also better positioned to keep Irving (if he and Leonard got along).  Heck maybe you decide that you like a Leonard/Davis team better and you move on from Irving to get Davis (by sending Irving to a 3rd team like say NY).  For years, Ainge sat on his hand just accumulating assets while letting great players go elsewhere (i.e. Butler, George, Cousins, etc.) and then when he finally makes a move, he acquires the worst "star" player and then doesn't follow it up with the all in trades it takes to win titles.

I equate the Irving acquisition very similarly to the Ray Allen one i.e. a very good player, but not a real franchise player (and this team had at least equivalent other talent with Hayward/Horford vs. Pierce).  What if Ainge had fallen so much in love with Jefferson that he refused to move him and Boston never acquired Garnett.  That is what happened with Irving.  He got the 2nd piece to the puzzle, but refused to go out and get the 1st piece.  Ainge failed miserably with the Irving trade because he never followed it up.

I disagree. I mean it appears now that Kawhi was leaving no matter what. So you had him for one season. Its basically a win at all cost situations, and the Raptors needed 4 lucky bounces on the rim, a comeback from down 0-2 to the bucks and two massive injuries to the Warriors to win it all. I think you could replay that season 10 times and they probably only win it once. I'm not convicted that even with Kawhi Irving wouldn't have sunk that season with his leadership. I'm not saying you dont make the trade, but its not slam dunk obvious in hindsight.

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 05:10:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Irving played with LeBron James, who will end up retiring as one of the greatest players of all time, when it's all said and done. And even then, he couldn't even stand the guy to be teammates any longer. Kawhi or Irving was gone, we pick and choose one or both, and when that's being all said and done, Jaylen Brown scores us on the transition fast break from a intercepted steal with an emphatic dunk.

Also Raptors quite literally lucked out, yes it's disingenuous to make that statement, but let's be real... When healthy matched up?

The Warriors talent + Finals experience may or may have been far too great for the Raptors. Two key injuries, probably the toughest shot made on three lucky bounces, and a team that was determined to move forward with or without Kawhi. Literally everything went well for them.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 05:52:54 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Irving played with LeBron James, who will end up retiring as one of the greatest players of all time, when it's all said and done. And even then, he couldn't even stand the guy to be teammates any longer. Kawhi or Irving was gone, we pick and choose one or both, and when that's being all said and done, Jaylen Brown scores us on the transition fast break from a intercepted steal with an emphatic dunk.

Also Raptors quite literally lucked out, yes it's disingenuous to make that statement, but let's be real... When healthy matched up?

The Warriors talent + Finals experience may or may have been far too great for the Raptors. Two key injuries, probably the toughest shot made on three lucky bounces, and a team that was determined to move forward with or without Kawhi. Literally everything went well for them.

As the old saying goes, "That's why they play the games."
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 10:33:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I disagree. I mean it appears now that Kawhi was leaving no matter what. So you had him for one season. Its basically a win at all cost situations, and the Raptors needed 4 lucky bounces on the rim, a comeback from down 0-2 to the bucks and two massive injuries to the Warriors to win it all. I think you could replay that season 10 times and they probably only win it once. I'm not convicted that even with Kawhi Irving wouldn't have sunk that season with his leadership. I'm not saying you dont make the trade, but its not slam dunk obvious in hindsight.
Maybe Kawhi was gone anyway, but maybe not.  What if the Thunder liked Toronto's Paul George package better.  Then Kawhi would have stayed in Toronto.  And maybe him and Kyrie would have gotten along well so the team wouldn't have needed a Paul George (or if not Irving maybe it was Tatum, Hayward, or Horford he struck up a bond with).  Or maybe, as I indicated, the C's moved on from Kyrie for Davis.  I think Kawhi probably stays with Davis around (at least another season if not longer).  And sure maybe Boston doesn't win the title with Kawhi last year, but they are probably the 2 seed in the conference.  They probably at least make it to Milwaukee, and they have an excellent shot at winning that.  Who knows what happens in the finals, but I do know that even a healthy GS would have struggled with an Irving, Hayward, Leonard, Tatum, Horford starting 5 along with Rozier, Morris, and Baynes as the main bench components (Assume the Kawhi trade was Brown, Smart, and a 1st). 

When you have a chance to acquire a top 5 player and add that player to potentially 3 other top 20 to 25 players (Irving, Horford, Hayward) along with a rising star (Tatum), you have to make that trade.  And this isn't hindsight.  I was all over the place on this board wanting the C's to acquire Leonard 2 summers ago.  He was the exact type of player I thought Ainge was waiting for, but then he just didn't pull the trigger and that was an epic failure.  You don't acquire Irving and then not follow it up with the top 5 player when that player is available.  It was a mistake at the time, it was a mistake last season, and it is still a mistake today.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
I wish we had 1 max spot to potentially go after someone like Giannis in 2021  :(

I still love what we have though. Plus we could add a piece with (hopefully) a Top-12 pick from the Grizzlies soon.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 12:45:17 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Right Now Philly has learned their mistake. Horford was not worth the money. A high one year deal was all he was worth. Philly is looking to trade him as we speak.

I just Hope Robert Williams cam be 80 percent Capela and we will be fine.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2020, 04:04:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Right Now Philly has learned their mistake. Horford was not worth the money. A high one year deal was all he was worth. Philly is looking to trade him as we speak.

I certainly hope for the best from RobWill, but I do wonder if some people's expectations are a tad high for him. During his time thus far on the injured list, numerous people on CS and CB have lamented his absence as though we're missing a guy who'd be playing 30-35 minutes, putting up big numbers, and singlehandedly improving Boston's record by quite a few games. He might become that at some point, but I really doubt he ever would've reached that level this season, even if he hadn't been injured.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

Lol what??

Horford has been alright for PHI and he's basically there to spell for Embiid when he's out. "Load management" in a way. Plus I think Horford actually would help them being the saavy playoff veteran he is. Look at how he defended AD well in the 4th quarter last weekend, and hit those clutch shots too.

He's a bit overpaid, but I don't think PHI regrets acquiring him. They had a max spot and others got picked up so they got Horford
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2020, 05:09:16 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Maybe Kawhi was gone anyway, but maybe not.  What if the Thunder liked Toronto's Paul George package better.  Then Kawhi would have stayed in Toronto.  And maybe him and Kyrie would have gotten along well so the team wouldn't have needed a Paul George (or if not Irving maybe it was Tatum, Hayward, or Horford he struck up a bond with).  Or maybe, as I indicated, the C's moved on from Kyrie for Davis.  I think Kawhi probably stays with Davis around (at least another season if not longer).  And sure maybe Boston doesn't win the title with Kawhi last year, but they are probably the 2 seed in the conference.  They probably at least make it to Milwaukee, and they have an excellent shot at winning that.  Who knows what happens in the finals, but I do know that even a healthy GS would have struggled with an Irving, Hayward, Leonard, Tatum, Horford starting 5 along with Rozier, Morris, and Baynes as the main bench components (Assume the Kawhi trade was Brown, Smart, and a 1st). 

When you have a chance to acquire a top 5 player and add that player to potentially 3 other top 20 to 25 players (Irving, Horford, Hayward) along with a rising star (Tatum), you have to make that trade.  And this isn't hindsight.  I was all over the place on this board wanting the C's to acquire Leonard 2 summers ago.  He was the exact type of player I thought Ainge was waiting for, but then he just didn't pull the trigger and that was an epic failure.  You don't acquire Irving and then not follow it up with the top 5 player when that player is available.  It was a mistake at the time, it was a mistake last season, and it is still a mistake today.

We acquired Kyrie because we we were able to get value for IT, who was going to be an impending disaster even if he stayed healthy, because he just wasn't going to age well in the best of circumstances. It was never a foundational long term move because Kyrie does not have a foundational disposition.

I am eternally thankful that we were unable to get a top 5 player to pair with Irving. I believe we will all watch Brooklyn prove this out in the next few years. Long after memories of how great Kevin Durant was once, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart will be winning games for us.