Author Topic: Who's available that we can get at C  (Read 49443 times)

Re: Who's available that we can get at C
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
According to Brian Windhorst, Bamba was available on the market prior to the trade deadline last season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818669-windhorst-mo-bamba-is-available-in-trades-mavericks-attempted-to-land-rookie

I get that the C's already have a Center prospect in Williams, but Bamba has the potential to become an all-NBA player. Personally speaking, he reminds me of Rudy Gobert. Unlike Gobert, he's even trying to extend his range shooting 37% from 3 this season on 2 attempts per game. If we can get Bamba at a reasonable price, I'd love us to go after him. I mean, can you imagine a player in the mold of Gobert who can stretch the floor? Bamba has the potential to become a Gobert-Porzingis hybrid!

I know little about Bamba.  What is a 'reasonable' price?
Hard to say. There is no possible way we can all agree on these things.

Personally speaking, I'd probably go as far as Timelord + Edwards + filler (=Poirier/Green) + Memphis pick

But that's just me cause I'm not a fan of Edwards' game. I guess Danny likes Edwards. After all, he's the one who drafted him.

Salary-wise, it works without Edwards as long as we include Poirier.

So let's say Timelord + Poirier + Memphis pick.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=tddv7pw

Bamba is about the prototypical John Hammond draft pick (he’s the GM in Orlando). Hammond is the guy who picked Giannis, John Henson, and Thon Maker, and traded for MCW (who - probably not a coincidence - now plays in Orlando) when he was GM in Milwaukee. Hammond apparently likes super-long players (Jalen Rose once called the Bucks ‘NBA 2.0’ because of this).

Now I couldn’t say if Hammond would want to hang on to Bamba until everyone else has given up on him - GM’s form attachments, too - but Bamba looks like he’ll have a long future in the league, with big upside at 21 years old, in addition to being Hammond’s ‘type’.  Just getting going with his rookie money, too, so I’d bet that your deal, even adding Carsen Edwards, is a non-starter for Orlando.

Rob Williams is in some kind of 95th percentile of players with the biggest gaps between floor and ceiling.  I’m a fervent believer in his basketball potential, but his questionable knees add a ton of uncertainty to fulfilling his potential. If I’m Orlando, I’m not giving up what looks like a higher floor and high ceiling (with Bamba) for that kind of risk.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 09:52:07 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
According to Brian Windhorst, Bamba was available on the market prior to the trade deadline last season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818669-windhorst-mo-bamba-is-available-in-trades-mavericks-attempted-to-land-rookie

I get that the C's already have a Center prospect in Williams, but Bamba has the potential to become an all-NBA player. Personally speaking, he reminds me of Rudy Gobert. Unlike Gobert, he's even trying to extend his range shooting 37% from 3 this season on 2 attempts per game. If we can get Bamba at a reasonable price, I'd love us to go after him. I mean, can you imagine a player in the mold of Gobert who can stretch the floor? Bamba has the potential to become a Gobert-Porzingis hybrid!

I know little about Bamba.  What is a 'reasonable' price?
Hard to say. There is no possible way we can all agree on these things.

Personally speaking, I'd probably go as far as Timelord + Edwards + filler (=Poirier/Green) + Memphis pick

But that's just me cause I'm not a fan of Edwards' game. I guess Danny likes Edwards. After all, he's the one who drafted him.

Salary-wise, it works without Edwards as long as we include Poirier.

So let's say Timelord + Poirier + Memphis pick.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=tddv7pw

Bamba is about the prototypical John Hammond draft pick (he’s the GM in Orlando). Hammond is the guy who picked Giannis, John Henson, and Thon Maker, and traded for MCW (who - probably not a coincidence - now plays in Orlando) when he was GM in Milwaukee. Hammond apparently likes super-long players (Jalen Rose once called the Bucks ‘NBA 2.0’ because of this).

Now I couldn’t say if Hammond would want to hang on to Bamba until everyone else has given up on him - GM’s form attachments, too - but Bamba looks like he’ll have a long future in the league, with big upside at 21 years old, in addition to being Hammond’s ‘type’.  Just getting going with his rookie money, too, so I’d bet that your deal, even adding Carsen Edwards, is a non-starter for Orlando.

Rob Williams is in some kind of 95th percentile of players with the biggest gaps between floor and ceiling.  I’m a fervent believer in his basketball potential, but his questionable knees add a ton of uncertainty to fulfilling his potential. If I’m Orlando, I’m not giving up what looks like a higher floor and high ceiling (with Bamba) for that kind of risk.
Agreed. If it weren't for the Windhorst quote, I wouldn't have posted about Bamba. Here is what Windhorst was reporting back in February 1, 2019:

"When they (=the Mavs) iced Dennis Smith a few weeks ago...one of the teams they were talking to was Orlando about Mo Bamba. (...) Mo Bamba is available on the market."

With this in mind, perhaps Timelord + filler + the Memphis pick could get the job done for us.

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Waiting 'til Rudy Gobert gets closer to free agency in the summer of 2021 and if they're not contending next season, Ainge tries to strike a trade with Utah at the 2020 trade deadline? (of course that's in the distant future)

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2019, 06:39:23 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Waiting 'til Rudy Gobert gets closer to free agency in the summer of 2021 and if they're not contending next season, Ainge tries to strike a trade with Utah at the 2020 trade deadline? (of course that's in the distant future)
Danny burned that bridge in the summer of Gordon Hayward

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2019, 08:37:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He's a really good rim protector, but you can matchup hunt him with an elite perimeter player, and the Celtics probably want a more switchable centre (I think they've made it clear that they want a centre who can defend the perimeter decently as their main guy with their starting centres in the past few years, eg. Johnson, Horford, Theis).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2019, 10:43:35 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
How exactly did Danny burn that bridge exactly?

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Utah wanted to do a sign and trade for crowder when Hayward announced his decision. Danny refused. He could have given them a second round pick or someone useless like Yabu... I doubt utah does business with Danny unless he overpays by a significant amount

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2019, 11:05:22 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Utah wanted to do a sign and trade for crowder when Hayward announced his decision. Danny refused. He could have given them a second round pick or someone useless like Yabu... I doubt utah does business with Danny unless he overpays by a significant amount

I don't think that will be an issue.

As always, if a certain team has the best package, the two teams can work it out.

Plus Utah rebounded nicely with drafting Mitchell.

Besides, Danny didn't owe Utah anything and wouldn't have had Crowder to include in the Kyrie trade.

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2019, 11:06:28 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
He's a really good rim protector, but you can matchup hunt him with an elite perimeter player, and the Celtics probably want a more switchable centre (I think they've made it clear that they want a centre who can defend the perimeter decently as their main guy with their starting centres in the past few years, eg. Johnson, Horford, Theis).

Unfortunately, there aren't many of those guys in the league. AD and KAT are the only two I can think of.

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I don't think that will be an issue.

As always, if a certain team has the best package, the two teams can work it out.

Plus Utah rebounded nicely with drafting Mitchell.

Besides, Danny didn't owe Utah anything and wouldn't have had Crowder to include in the Kyrie trade.
I find it hard to believe that Pop traded Kawhi to the highest bidder. Sometimes GMs are stubborn

« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2019, 04:43:16 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
To me it’s not that Philly or other teams  (Lakers) have big men that are really dominant - you’re not always going to have your Bill Russell for their Wilt Chamberlain. The problem is simply that Ainge hasn’t done enough to sure up our big man rotation to round out the team. He should have drafted at least one legitimate big man this year and he should have signed Noel, O’Quinn or Stein, just another body who’s proven they can at least ply at some level in the NBA - rather than $2.5 MM on Poirier. Last year with Baynes and Al we at least had a half decent rotation to slow Embiid down.

But Ainge did the same thing to the KG, Pierce, Ray Allen team. He let Posey and Allen walk, which on it’s own is OK. The problem was he did nothing to replace their grit and toughness, key elements to our title run.

This year having young big like Fernando to hack Embiid, Noel to run him ragged, Ali g with Thies and Kanter and a developing Robert Williams would be helpful - beat them by the numbers, run them ragged.

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
megadeal for Bagley III
small to medium deal for Richaun Holmes
medium to big deal for Valanciunas
medium deal for Favors
small deal for Ed Davis

« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2019, 07:27:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Lakers are so stacked with size. Davis, LeBron, McGee and Howard. Nothing we do can get us to that level. Just patience and hope that Fall and Rob Williams develop, maybe get lucky in draft.

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2019, 10:25:44 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
megadeal for Bagley III
medium deal for Favors
small deal for Ed Davis

A big deal for Valanciunas? I would have thought he could be had relatively cheap.

I like that small deal for Ed Davis. Always has very good rebounding numbers.

Thing is though, this team plays so much better when there is a shooting 5 out there. (Although Kanter did work well last week, but he did shoot those two long foul line jumpers..).

I don't think Sacto are going to make any trades for 24 months now. I think they think they finally have a roster they can work with.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2019, 10:51:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
megadeal for Bagley III
medium deal for Favors
small deal for Ed Davis
I reckon Favors could be a buyout candidate
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)