Author Topic: 3 All-Stars This Season?  (Read 15149 times)

Re: 3 All-Stars This Season?
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2020, 06:29:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
so ANY chance we get both Tatum and Brown as all-star reserves?

never mind, I didn't realize they had already been released.
Brown got screwed.

« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2020, 06:51:18 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Brown got screwed.

Kick it up a notch now Jaylen -- prove 'em wrong.

« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2020, 06:58:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Brown got screwed.
I might be Brown's biggest fan and, IMO, he didn't get screwed. You look at players that got in and he wasn't getting in ahead of Lowry or Simmons or Middleton.

All are former All-Stars. All have a similar secondary offensive role on their team like Jaylen and like Jaylen are averaging 20 PPG  on efficient numbers and are at least good defenders. Jaylen is clearly the worst passer but is the 2nd best rebounder and maybe best defender.

I think he was worthy but he wasn't unseating any of those All-Stars while having only similar years to them. He wasn't unseating any of them, the 2nd player from their clubs when Tatum made it as Boston's 2nd player already.

I think he was equally as deserving as Tatum, but Tatum gets better press and is more the media darling, so he got in.

« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2020, 07:15:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Brown got screwed.
I might be Brown's biggest fan and, IMO, he didn't get screwed. You look at players that got in and he wasn't getting in ahead of Lowry or Simmons or Middleton.

All are former All-Stars. All have a similar secondary offensive role on their team like Jaylen and like Jaylen are averaging 20 PPG  on efficient numbers and are at least good defenders. Jaylen is clearly the worst passer but is the 2nd best rebounder and maybe best defender.

I think he was worthy but he wasn't unseating any of those All-Stars while having only similar years to them. He wasn't unseating any of them, the 2nd player from their clubs when Tatum made it as Boston's 2nd player already.

I think he was equally as deserving as Tatum, but Tatum gets better press and is more the media darling, so he got in.

Look I am happy for Tatum.  I am a huge Tatum fan as well.  But Brown has had a better, more consistent season than Tatum, Simmons or maybe even Middleton.  Yeah CM has had a couple outstanding games recently, but he benefits a lot from playing with Giannis.  Simmons is way over-rated that he is almost always judged by what he might become instead of what he is right now.  And as far as I know, you're not supposed to get more points because you were an all-star a previous year.

The only one I can say for sure should make it over Jaylen is Lowrey, and even though I dislike him as a player, he has really played well this year trying to take up the slack for KL.

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2020, 07:54:38 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Grant Williams is breathing a huge sigh of relief now.  I'm not sure pink hair is becoming on him.

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2020, 09:09:18 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
Grant Williams is breathing a huge sigh of relief now.  I'm not sure pink hair is becoming on him.

it would have been perfect

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2020, 09:13:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Brown has not been better than Tatum this year and people really need to stop pushing that false narrative.

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2020, 09:38:16 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Brown has not been better than Tatum this year and people really need to stop pushing that false narrative.

I agree, but I also think Brown deserves an All-star bid.

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2020, 09:39:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

They have been so close this year, I don't think it is anywhere near a false narrative.

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2020, 10:27:48 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Its not a false narrative. Brown has been more consistent, efficient and also 2 way. The stats back this up. Tatum has been near bottom in true shooting among our rotation players, only ahead of Smart. It is not good when combined with his blackhole tendencies.

« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2020, 10:38:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Its not a false narrative. Brown has been more consistent, efficient and also 2 way. The stats back this up. Tatum has been near bottom in true shooting among our rotation players, only ahead of Smart. It is not good when combined with his blackhole tendencies.

Team-based metrics show Tatum clearly has a bigger impact on winning.  Tatum also has an ability to take over games on offense Brown does not and is the better defender.

Brown shoots a higher percentage because he gets easier shots, due to being less of the focal point of the offense.

Tatum is better, period.  Coaches, players, and media, league-wide, agree.  It's really only a few weird Celtics fans that think otherwise.

« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2020, 10:58:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Team-based metrics show Tatum clearly has a bigger impact on winning.  Tatum also has an ability to take over games on offense Brown does not and is the better defender.

Brown shoots a higher percentage because he gets easier shots, due to being less of the focal point of the offense.

Tatum is better, period.  Coaches, players, and media, league-wide, agree.  It's really only a few weird Celtics fans that think otherwise.
I don't think people are necessarily saying Brown is a better player, I think mostly people are saying that Brown is having a better year.

Brown is having the better defensive year. Tatum can play the passing lanes and be great on pick and rolls because he is largely guarding the weakest offensive 2-3-4 on the floor while Jaylen generally gets the toughest assignment, whether that be guarding the other team's best offensive player at the 2-3-4 or guarding the other team's power forward or doing both at the same time.

And while Tatum can get red hot and show what he will be, he still was terribly inefficient the 1st two months of the season and awfully inconsistent.

Brown has been much more efficient and consistent while putting up the same stats and being the better defender and taking on the tougher defensive assignments.

Clearly, an argument can be made Brown is having the better season, but because Tatum is doing what he is doing at 21, he is, most probably,  the better player.

I think they were equally deserving but because the Celtics don't have a record as good as the Bucks, they were never going to get 3 guys in the game, no matter how deserving. Happy for Tatum. Well, earned. But Jaylen was as deserving, if not more so, because he is having, arguably, the better season.

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2020, 04:41:49 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I wholeheartedly agree. Brown has had an excellent season but he is not better than Tatum at all. Tatum to me looks like this teams best player on both ends.

« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2020, 06:22:49 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Wow, what's with all the Brown hate here. Tatum is not better than Brown, his play style simply makes it look like it. He is taking a lot of very bad shots, can't really drive inside and is pretty weak with the ball. I'm not saying he wont get better, but Brown already has gotten much better in those areas. Plus, Brown has a lot better shooting percentages not because he is not the focal point of defenses but because he knows how to take advantage of a mismatch, whereas Tatum just does his stepback/turnaround everytime (which wouldnt be a problem if he hit them at a KG/Dirk rate)

« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Slightly off-topic but that World All-Star team is going to WRECK the US Team....

And NO I am not biased towards Luka in ANY WAY.............

lol.............