Author Topic: Time to talk about the bench guys!  (Read 9935 times)

Re: Time to talk about the bench guys!
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2023, 01:57:44 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3207
Here's a list of all the centers in the NBA, by salary:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/2023-24/cap-hit/center/

And, all of the power forwards:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/2023-24/cap-hit/power-forward/

We've got a trade exception worth $6.2 million.  Happy shopping.

I like Dean Wade, maybe Kenrich Williams.... Precious, Alex Len is cheap.

"Boston Celtics sign 7-footer Kylor Kelley"

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/smith-boston-celtics-sign-7-162344169.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVDXkkThb0A
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 02:10:06 PM by liam »

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2023, 02:32:52 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 259
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Two guys I'm keeping an eye on:

Chuma Okeke from the Magic
Precious Achiuwa from the Raptors

Both guys have about 4 guys ahead of them in their team's rotation. Both are in a contract year wanting to prove something. Neither has been able to earn consistent minutes. Both show some promise as a versatile 4 with high energy.

I'm not seeing many others that I'm excited about that fit in that TPE.

igbo boys!!

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2023, 02:34:56 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Do the Celtics wait until they see how their depth play before deciding which way to go using the TPE and draft picks?   

I think a lot of their depth is fine for regular season depth, but a problem in the playoffs.

I can see them waiting through the early regular season.

I don't want them to wait *too* long, though.  We can't aggregate anybody we use the TPE on until two months after the trade.  So, if we hope to bundle whoever we get from the TPE + some minimum deals, we should do it relatively early.

Except (and correct me if I am wrong), once the Celtics trade the TPE, they are above the 2nd apron and can't bundle players in a trade anymore.   

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2023, 02:37:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Do the Celtics wait until they see how their depth play before deciding which way to go using the TPE and draft picks?   

I think a lot of their depth is fine for regular season depth, but a problem in the playoffs.

I can see them waiting through the early regular season.

I don't want them to wait *too* long, though.  We can't aggregate anybody we use the TPE on until two months after the trade.  So, if we hope to bundle whoever we get from the TPE + some minimum deals, we should do it relatively early.

Except (and correct me if I am wrong), once the Celtics trade the TPE, they are above the 2nd apron and can't bundle players in a trade anymore.

That restriction goes into effect next season (as does a new restriction about not being able to use TPEs at all).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2023, 04:04:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
He's been mentioned before, but Jalen Smith would fit our TPE:

However, there are still three players heading into camp who will be vying for the 18-20 minutes per game when Turner isn't on the floor -- 31-year-old Daniel Theis, 21-year-old Isaiah Jackson and 23-year-old Jalen Smith. Buchanan says the Pacers will give all three the opportunity to win the job and won't look to move anyone until they're certain of the direction they want to go.

"I think that's all going to play out on the court," Buchanan said at a media availability scheduled to coincide with the start of the season. "I think obviously Myles is going to be an anchor for us. The other three guys between Isaiah, Jalen and Daniel, it's going to be very competitive starting from Day 1. It is competitive. It's guys going at each other. I think that's going to carry over into training camp. I think coach (Rick) Carlisle and us as a front office want to see how it plays out on the court. We don't want to give anybody something right now, it's gotta be earned. That's the growth of a team and the growth of a player is earning your minutes and earning your roles."

I'd love to have Theis back, but the money doesn't work.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2023, 04:10:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
I like the Kenrich Williams mention. OKC in general could be a good team to go shopping with. They have an abundance of interesting guys at the end of their bench and they are going to have to waive some of them. So there are going to be some good guys available.

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2023, 11:37:36 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1503
if it is just guys currently on the team I am most excited about Wenyen Gabriel, and Banton.
I know most here don't think much of Banton, but I have been watching a lot of Banton video.
He is a sleeper.

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2023, 07:39:45 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
If I was Brad, I would be having a long talk with Masai about Precious Achiuwa. He would bring exactly what the Celtics need. Unfortunately I feel like he would cost too much for the relative value he would bring this year.
#JKJB

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2023, 07:43:43 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3207
if it is just guys currently on the team I am most excited about Wenyen Gabriel, and Banton.
I know most here don't think much of Banton, but I have been watching a lot of Banton video.
He is a sleeper.

I like Banton too but his shooting needs to improve.

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2023, 08:33:58 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 709
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Trade the bench scraps for Buddy Heild...I kid I kid

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2023, 08:46:20 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
He's been mentioned before, but Jalen Smith would fit our TPE:

However, there are still three players heading into camp who will be vying for the 18-20 minutes per game when Turner isn't on the floor -- 31-year-old Daniel Theis, 21-year-old Isaiah Jackson and 23-year-old Jalen Smith. Buchanan says the Pacers will give all three the opportunity to win the job and won't look to move anyone until they're certain of the direction they want to go.

"I think that's all going to play out on the court," Buchanan said at a media availability scheduled to coincide with the start of the season. "I think obviously Myles is going to be an anchor for us. The other three guys between Isaiah, Jalen and Daniel, it's going to be very competitive starting from Day 1. It is competitive. It's guys going at each other. I think that's going to carry over into training camp. I think coach (Rick) Carlisle and us as a front office want to see how it plays out on the court. We don't want to give anybody something right now, it's gotta be earned. That's the growth of a team and the growth of a player is earning your minutes and earning your roles."

I'd love to have Theis back, but the money doesn't work.

There's no chance that they'd cut Theis is there?  I know they're talking about these guys deserving 18-20mpg, but if they decide to go young and/or cut salary, would he be a candidate for a buyout?

Probably, not but what do the smart people here say?

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2023, 11:29:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I doubt C's management would want Theis back, as they have had opportunities to keep him twice and did not.

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2023, 11:31:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I doubt C's management would want Theis back, as they have had opportunities to keep him twice and did not.

I think they would.  When he was traded to Indy, yes, we could have kept him, but that would have meant no Brogdon.

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2023, 10:03:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
It's probably green-tinted glasses but I like the bench.

Pritchard, Oshae, Hauser, Horford rounding out the top 5 is really nice. I'm high on Oshae (I see him as a James Posey type) and I think Pritchard and Hauser and both incredible shooters who are underrated on defense.

As others have said in this thread, if the rotation is smart, 2 of the top 4 guys will always be on the court which will make things easier for the bench.

It would be nice to have another rotation big but maybe Gabriel is that guy. I haven't seen much of him but he seems to have a lot of raw talent. Not much size, but he isn't any smaller than Rob was.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2023, 10:36:04 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 981
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's probably green-tinted glasses but I like the bench.

Pritchard, Oshae, Hauser, Horford rounding out the top 5 is really nice. I'm high on Oshae (I see him as a James Posey type) and I think Pritchard and Hauser and both incredible shooters who are underrated on defense.

As others have said in this thread, if the rotation is smart, 2 of the top 4 guys will always be on the court which will make things easier for the bench.

It would be nice to have another rotation big but maybe Gabriel is that guy. I haven't seen much of him but he seems to have a lot of raw talent. Not much size, but he isn't any smaller than Rob was.
He has a lot of similarities to TL. I like the way Gabriel sounded to the press on Media Day. Then watched a bunch of highlights from his LAL season, and I’m impressed. For per-36, he is almost a 13/10 guy. KP/Al/Gabriel is nice sounding center depth. For that reason, I would put him in that 2nd unit over Brissett.