Author Topic: The Greek connection  (Read 3197 times)

The Greek connection
« on: June 20, 2018, 08:08:19 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
 Draft Yanniss's brother This is just a probing move to attract Yanniss someday,The Greek community in Boston has a proud history  going back to Michael Dukakis.It may stimulate some future move.
Just a thought to placate all those "we missed Yanniss critics".

Re: The Greek connection
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 08:27:17 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Unless he's gone through a miraculous transformation over the past couple months it appears he doesn't have NBA talent. And, Giannis is signed for the next few years. Thus, he's not going anywhere soon.

Even given what I wrote, I'm all for fostering brotherly love karma with the Celtics and promoting good local PR. Good idea to keep him in mind. Maybe offer him a 10 day contract or a D-League signing.   

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nba-draft-giannis-antetokounmpos-brother-declares-after-averaging-5-2-points-at-dayton/

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 08:41:29 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't think he is better than the older brother Thanasis.

And Thanasis isn't good enough for the NBA.... I'd keep an eye on the youngest brother though

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just wait until Alex Antetokounmpo comes out. Will likely be better than Kostas and Thanasis (if his HS projections are anything to go off)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:08:08 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Don't know or care to know the names of the brothers but the one that played for the UD Flyers this year...hell no.  Not impressed at all.  Great athlete, stupid basketball player.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
Rollie, a TP for thinking outside the box. 

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Draft Yanniss's brother This is just a probing move to attract Yanniss someday,The Greek community in Boston has a proud history  going back to Michael Dukakis.It may stimulate some future move.

I made a thread that people seemed very sour on Kostas. After reviewing film, and watching his highlights, he just is plain out terrible. Like awful. I mean he shot 13% from 3, and average 5.2 PPG...

Also rollie I love your posts, but dude it's Giannis.

Giannis.

Giannis.

Lol, sorry it just irked me.

Also I think Giannis really loves the Bucks. We'll see what happens, but a long time before he leaves/unless demands a trade.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i love when Greeks make pizza.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

I made a thread that people seemed very sour on Kostas. After reviewing film, and watching his highlights, he just is plain out terrible. Like awful. I mean he shot 13% from 3, and average 5.2 PPG...

Giannis.

Giannis.

Also I think Giannis really loves the Bucks. We'll see what happens, but a long time before he leaves/unless demands a trade.

Actually, being of Greek decent (second generation) I find the English translated spelling of Giannis somewhat confusing bordering on irksome.

Most often, the translation of his name is spelled Yianis or Yiannis rather than a Giannis. Likely, in Greece he uses two n's in his name. It's not a wrong translation by any means. Generally, if I saw a name spelled Giannis I might think it was Italian or something else.

If G is used in front of _ianis, then it's more commonly used as a last name...like Gianis.

I'm not from Greece maybe it's pronounced and/or spelled slightly differently than the typical Yianis and that's why uses G instead of Y to front his name.

Anyone with more know-how is welcomed to correct or clarify. 

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 07:15:26 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Giannis.

Giannis.

Actually, being of Greek decent (second generation) I find the English translated spelling of Giannis somewhat confusing bordering on irksome.

Most often, the translation of his name is spelled Yianis or Yiannis rather than a Giannis. Likely, in Greece he uses two n's in his name. It's not a wrong translation by any means. Generally, if I saw a name spelled Giannis I might think it was Italian or something else.

If G is used in front of _ianis, then it's more commonly used as a last name...like Gianis.

I'm not from Greece maybe it's pronounced and/or spelled slightly differently than the typical Yianis and that's why uses G instead of Y to front his name.

Anyone with more know-how is welcomed to correct or clarify.

I fully agree. Giannis' name and surname have been based on the official Romanization of the Greek alphabet used by all Greek public services. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Greek#Modern_Greek

Which tbh I find awfully bad, esp. when compared with how much better job other countries (eg the Russian Federation) have done at this.

My own name is transliterated as Georgios, which is ****n awful, it's not pronounced the right way in any major European language, not just English (with the possible exception of German). Yorgo is much closer to how it is actually pronounced, similarly to how Giannis is closer to Yani, but try explain to ppl that you are still talking of the same name.

Irksome indeed.

Thanks to rollie for starting a Greek themed thread.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 07:26:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
My own name is transliterated as Georgios, which is ****n awful, it's not pronounced the right way in any major European language, not just English (with the possible exception of German). Yorgo is much closer to how it is actually pronounced, similarly to how Giannis is closer to Yani, but try explain to ppl that you are still talking of the same name.
What, you don't like being a Georgius? :P

Also, the whole world buys gyros and has no idea they're eating "yeero" ;)

In short, sorry you're screwed, but it serves you well for making the rest of the world put up with your horrible alphabet (I kid, Bulgarian isn't much better in that respect :P).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 07:49:58 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
What, you don't like being a Georgius? :P

Also, the whole world buys gyros and has no idea they're eating "yeero" ;)

In short, sorry you're screwed, but it serves you well for making the rest of the world put up with your horrible alphabet (I kid, Bulgarian isn't much better in that respect :P).

and that's the other thing since you mentioned it. most times Georgios is misspelled as Georgius or Giorgios. Even Americans (who in  my experience are very attentive on getting your name right) do that mistake most times. Kkudos to beatla btw, he got it from day 1.

Yorgo, Yani etc is so much simpler...

Gyros is kind of passable  :P I imagine having the epiphany that gyros and gyroscope should have something in common is worth it  :P

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 07:55:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I apologize then. Thank you guys for informing me of my ignorance.

So question then what is your Greek name and do you guys normally go by the American translation of your name when you live in America, or Greek origin when visiting America?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 08:28:40 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
In ancient Greek the letter gamma made roughly the same sound as the Latin letter 'g', which is why the Romans transliterated gamma with 'g'. Pronunciation has changed a lot over time, but the tradition of using 'g' for gamma in languages that use the Latin alphabet has persisted.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I apologize then. Thank you guys for informing me of my ignorance.

So question then what is your Greek name and do you guys normally go by the American translation of your name when you live in America, or Greek origin when visiting America?
Going by the American translation is definitely the easiest solution, so that's what I do.

For instance Giannis --> John

Georgios --> George

Haris (my name) --> Harry

etc.

If it makes it easier for people to pronounce my name, that's fine by me. No big difference either way.