Author Topic: Fantasy Free Agency: Is there path for KD, trade for Jrue Holiday, keep Horford?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm here just to do some playing fun with the upcoming free agency.  I'm just trying to have so fun, so please bear with me. ;D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cap gurus, I'm not as expert with the cap as you guys are, although I'm trying to be, so please let me know if this path is impossible for us to reach. This is, after all, is just basically fantasy booking (to use a wrestling term). But this one has been stuck in my head for about two days now, and I really thought it will be a good idea.

Fantasy Free-Agency; Durant, Holiday, Horford = Contention.

The idea, to break it down in it's simplest form, is this.

1. Renounce who are needed to be renounced, that includes Terry Rozier, Kyrie Irving, Marcus Morris, Daniel Theiss. NOT Al Horford.

2. Convince Kevin Durant to sign. (easier said than done, of course, but hey, this is pure fantasy that I'm trying to see if it will work in real life, just trying to have some fun)

3. Sign Durant via Sign and Trade. KD gets his full max from Golden State, then traded to us, in exchange, we send Gordon Hayward, Semi Ojeleye and Guershon Yabusele

4. Three team trade between Boston, New Orleans Pelicans and Phoenix Suns. Without it being too complicated the trade will basically revolve around this.

- Boston receives Jrue Holiday.
- Phoenix receives Jaylen (him and Devin Booker could form their wing core moving forward).
- New Orleans receives assets (which may include some draft picks/players coming from us and the Suns).

5. With Holiday and Durant on board, Al may have a change of mind, and choose to resign with us.

6. With the MLE (Non-Tax payer or Tax Payer), we sign a Center. For the sake of this playthrough, let's fantasy sign DeWayne Dedmon.

The Boston Celtics team in 2019-20, without Kevin Durant as he rehabs with injury.

PG: Jrue Holiday
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Al Horford
C : DeWayne Dedmon

Bench: Carsen Edwards, Romeo Langford, Grant Williams, Robert Williams, Vet-minimum signing.

With no Durant, that team still has full of talent, with excellent defense. That Holiday-Smart backcourt could be the best defensive duo in the league. Bench might be too young and not ready, but has potential.

The Boston Celtics team WITH Kevin Durant for the 2020-21 season.

PG: Holiday
SG: Tatum
SF: Durant
PF: Horford
C : Dedmon

Bench: Smart, Langford, MLE signing, G. Williams, R. Williams, Edwards

Assuming Durant comes back to atleast 80% of his former self, now you're looking at a contender. A lineup with excellent talent across the board, defensive versatility. Bench becomes better with Smart coming off it, another year of Langford, Williams boys, and Edwards (with optimistic development). Maybe another MLE signing to bolster it. Banner 18 would be within our reach.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that was fun. Now, please tell me it can't happen because the cap prevents us from doing it.  ;D
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It would be an interesting team for sure, but the deals you have don't totally work.

First, KD would have to opt in to the last year of his deal rather than S&T. Due to Base year compensation rules, KD's salary would only count for 50% going out while Hayward's salary counts as 100% coming in. The salary wouldn't match and GSW is already over the salary cap.

There is a similar problem in the Brown deal. You basically have only Brown going out, but Holiday and his huge salary coming back in. Since their salaries are so far apart ($26.1M to $6.5M), you would need to include Smart to get close. I am not sure how you feel, but I don't know that I want to trade Brown and Smart for Jrue.

Count me in for a KD trade, though. I would hope he would give some kind of commitment moving forward, but there are no guarantees there either.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It would be an interesting team for sure, but the deals you have don't totally work.

First, KD would have to opt in to the last year of his deal rather than S&T. Due to Base year compensation rules, KD's salary would only count for 50% going out while Hayward's salary counts as 100% coming in. The salary wouldn't match and GSW is already over the salary cap.

There is a similar problem in the Brown deal. You basically have only Brown going out, but Holiday and his huge salary coming back in. Since their salaries are so far apart ($26.1M to $6.5M), you would need to include Smart to get close. I am not sure how you feel, but I don't know that I want to trade Brown and Smart for Jrue.

Count me in for a KD trade, though. I would hope he would give some kind of commitment moving forward, but there are no guarantees there either.

I was working on the assumption that I thought with renouncing the other guys, we'd have enough cap space to swallow Jrue's contract out right because of the cap space that we create.

This is why I asked for responses as to if it will work. I had no idea that only half of KD's salary will be counted as outgoing.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Honestly, I was just going by what everybody has been saying all along, but in thinking about this further, I am not sure why that is the case.

My understanding of the BYC rules (and I just double-checked cbafaq) is that when trading a base year player, the salary used for comparison is 50% of the first-year salary in his new contract, OR the player's previous salary, whichever is greater.

Since Durant made $30M last season and Hayward will make $32.7M in 2019-20, I suppose a s&t trade should be possible(?) My realization is probably totally wrong because literally everywhere you look, people say it can't be done because of the 50% rule.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
 8)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:12:53 AM by playdream »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
If he opted in it would not be a sign and trade , but just a trade.  Then pay the man on an extension or new contract next year.  Would hurt for a year, but end up well if he comes back healthy.