Author Topic: IT taking leave from Lakers  (Read 1175 times)

IT taking leave from Lakers
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
[dang], IT is out for Lakers to get further diagnosis on his hip. He should've done what Smart and Kyrie did and not believe just the Celtics Dr's and got several opinions and had that surgery.

He wanted to rehab it but people that had that same injury were saying you have to have surgery or it's just going to tear again. Forget a brinks truck, he'll be lucky to get a Lyft by FA. He had $$$ in his eyes and forgot the big picture...tough lesson.

Re: IT taking leave from Lakers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't know why he didn't get the surgery... this seemed like the riskier route... having at most 2 months to show he could still play...

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:01:34 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
He bet on himself and it looks like he lost BUT no matter what he's going to get a contract from someone and will still be a multimillionaire.

I've always wondered if Max contract guys live a better life and feel more fulfilled than someone who signs for lets say $10m a year or the NBA salary just an ego thing.

I can't imagine my life would be much more different at $10m a year or $32m.

ok fine

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Some poor decision making by IT and his advisors.

Begining with the transparent attempt to get the Celtics to commit early to a max deal, which led to the decision to not have hip surgery. Plus all the negative press in Cleveland. And finally shutting it down early in a free agent year, to most likely have the surgery that he originally needed in the first place.

It may be time to simply think about a healthy remainder of his career.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Ainge wins again

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
[dang], IT is out for Lakers to get further diagnosis on his hip. He should've done what Smart and Kyrie did and not believe just the Celtics Dr's and got several opinions and had that surgery.

Not believe the Celtics doctors? Has that been reported somewhere? A second opinion is commonplace and shouldn't be misinterpreted as you're putting it.

FYI, the Cavs doctors ALSO had the same opinion as the C's one(s).

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:20:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Not believe the Celtics doctors? Has that been reported somewhere? A second opinion is commonplace and shouldn't be misinterpreted as you're putting it.

FYI, the Cavs doctors ALSO had the same opinion as the C's one(s).
Rest helps the hip short term but long term it needs surgery. That's a fact. Plus you could play through the pain.

I don't see what the Celtics doctors did that was wrong.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In hindsight, what IT should have done was shut it down after he was diagnosed in December 2016 with a groin injury. Instead, he played through pain, injured himself further in March, and then again in the playoffs. 

The lesson for all established NBA players: don’t play through pain, and don’t trust the training staff / team doctors without getting a second opinion.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't know why he didn't get the surgery... this seemed like the riskier route... having at most 2 months to show he could still play...

He would be well on the road back from an operation by now .   The operation is dramatic , tuff one , but it was his best chance to play NBA ball without pain for a longer time. The route he took is fine for non professional athletes.  Now he has wasted precious time    The road back gets no easier the older you get .

There was no certainties for an operation, but better chance to stay in NBA than going without tear repair . 

Celtics dodged a bullet with him and the bum hip.   We would be sunk for the Playoffs , at least Irving will get better in a short time.

hope he can make it back into NBA

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 07:43:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This surgery, from what I've heard, is very risky and its far from a sure thing that IT would have returned to anything resembling the peak we saw last year.

He chose to play through the injury and to forgo surgery in hopes he could manage the injury/pain for the rest of his career.

Obviously, that has not gone well for him thus far, but I dont think we have nearly enough information to concluded that opting not to have the surgery was a bad call at the time. It was a gamble and it's turned out poorly, but that doesnt mean he made bad decisions along the way.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.