Author Topic: Brown is the best player from the 2016 draft  (Read 6029 times)

Re: Brown is the best player from the 2016 draft
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Brown certainly could end up being the best player in this years draft.  His determination and attitude are more mature than most prospects that are his age.  To me this ultimately boils down to the Celtics organization and coaching staff.  Jaylen came in very raw and might not have been utilized properly on a bad team.  Boston gives him the opportunity to play important minutes and focus strictly on "impacting winning", as Brad Stevens says. 

I don't think we can understate how the wrong situation will destroy a young players career.  Lots of young "busts" get thrown into the fire and develop bad habits.  This is especially the case for players that don't come in with an already developed NBA skill. 

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 05:29:40 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I like to play this game:  if we had gotten the #2 pick in 2016 and selected Ingram, would we all be happy at this moment?

I doubt it, and I think many of us would rather have selected Brown or Murray.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 05:37:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Still not impressed with Lakers man. 

Id take Smart any day of the week and nine times on Sunday before Randle.   I be closed that debate in my mind .   EOS .

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 05:45:10 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The 2013 draft should have taught everyone not to judge draft prospects after a year or two.  You should judge them at the end of their rookie contracts. 

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 05:51:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I like to play this game:  if we had gotten the #2 pick in 2016 and selected Ingram, would we all be happy at this moment?

I doubt it, and I think many of us would rather have selected Brown or Murray.

I don’t know.  I definitely would have been happy to select Ingram at #3 had he fallen (but was totally expecting and on board with Jaylen leading up to draft night).  But I wonder how Brandon Ingram, who’s not quite at NBA strength yet, would have looked if he had a more limited role and played 1300 minutes last year (like Jaylen) instead of 2300.  And likewise, how would Jaylen have looked playing 30 minutes a night on a bad team?

I was happy with Jaylen on draft night and I’m at least as happy now.  He could wind up being the best player from his class, but so could Ingram (and so could Murray and Simmons).  Of course, historically the #3 pick has outperformed the #2 pick (largely thanks to MJ, but it’s still true).

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The problem with Simmons is inevitably the problem we had with rondo. If your pg can't shoot you can play off him and deny lane entry and he's basically stuck. I was wondering how long it would  teams to figure it out but even in preseason he was f'ed. He's Rajon rondo at best. A young rondo is worth a top 10 lotto pick. He doesn't have the upside of brown. That said this post is way too early. Ingram can shoot. He's shot 40% from 3 in college. Simmons actually shot better than brown 33 vs 29. Brown has shown the most improvement out of the 3, which one could linearly conclude that he will end up the best. The Celtics have done an amazing job with Brown. The Sixers are the worst franchise for player development so unless you're a natural "hall of farmer" like Embiid, you're not going anywhere.

You're also forgetting Buddy Hield but it's not a fair comparison considering he's already in his mid 20s.
Actually the Sixers have been pretty good at player development.  That was what Coach Brown did for the Spurs.  Loved Embiid in college but he's developed much more than I would have expected with the Sixers considering how much time he has missed with injuries.  Covington was an undrafted d-leaguer and now he's a good starting SF.  McConnell was undrafted and now he's a solid backup PG.  The fact is a large part of player development rests with the player himself. 

As for Simmons, I think his floor is a 6'10" 240lb Rondo.  Backing off of Rondo was only partially effective.  With Simmons size, it should be even less effective.  You back off of Simmons and it just makes it easier for him to post you up. 

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I hope the OP is correct, but I am really impressed with Simmons.   I think he has exceptional talent and size and I'll think he'll be an all-star level player when he improves his shot.   The Lebron comparison is just unfair -- LBJ is among the top 5 players of all-time and a totally unique force of nature.  Simmons has the chance to be a poor man's LBJ -- which is a rich man's almost everyone else.

I am not technically savvy enough to provide a quality player assessment, but as far as Ingram goes I am incapable of rationally assessing a Laker.  I just hope he is either traded for fodder or that he turns out to be a bad selection at #2.

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I remember in 1983, when everyone thought Ralph Sampson, Byron Scott, Derek Harper and Clyde Drexler were all better than Greg Kite. Well guess what? Greg Kite put all those doubters to shame. Just like Brown will.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 08:04:57 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Brown's minor parts of his game are what will differentiate him from the others mentioned.  His rebounding and defense.  This year as a starter his offense is going to be much much easier.  Buddy's offense is something of note, other than that I don't see anyone in draft class being that good.  Simmons nice vision but flawed game off the bat.  I think as a pro he makes more sense playing sf as a point forward.  Unless he suddenly improves his distance shooting.  He has talent for sure.
I'm very impressed with brown making an impact on the game from not just scoring.  I think too many of the hyped rookies can score albeit volume but can't defend for beans, don't pass, don't rebound etc.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I don't see how Brown has done anything to pass Ingram or Simmons at this point. Right now, I'd say the top-3 picks are still the top 3 prospects. Ingram had pretty similar success to Brown in a much different situation. Simmons hasn't played, but I don't think anyone would be shocked if he put up a 15-5-5 this season, whether his shot is broken or not.

I'm not buying Murray in this race. He's talented and may have a long career, but Simmons, Ingram and Brown all have considerably higher ceilings and all-around games.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 09:54:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Yeah... I'm still going Ben Simmons. Even if he maxes out as a 6'10 Rondo, that's still a heck of a player. I think Brown could be the 2nd best player from this class, but Simmons is still the guy for me.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 10:05:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The verdict is still yet to come as to who will be the best player in this class. Still a lot of unknowns. If Brown can be a two way player in the mold of Jimmy Butler, then, yes, I can see where he could be this drafts best player. I haven't seen any other player that looks like they can play defense. So I will wait a couple more years to pick my best player, but Brown definitely has potential to be.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 02:35:45 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
You guys are really underrating Thon Maker, Taurean Prince, Caris LeVert, Skal Labissiere, and Dejounte Murray, to name a few, imo.

As for Brown, while I do like his post game, he really looks like an athlete still learning how to play basketball, to me, especially in terms of ball handling.  He kind of reminds me of Bradley in that regard as dribbling seems to slow him down, if that makes any sense.

I'm also not willing to give up on Kris Dunn and I never saw it with Ingram, like at all.

TP i share your views on foul shooting it is so critical down the stretch and so disruptive to a teams game plan in 4th quarter. Add the inability to hit from outside.
I watched a breakdown of how and why scouts missed on Jaylen-it showed tape of his elite handles as well as shooting at high school level .His freshman season similar to Myles Turners second year influenced scouts as it was not standout.
There was tape of tournament games with Jaylen vs Simmons-with JAYLEN walking away with trophy.
Jaylen is still 20 with playoff experience and a big game against Lebron during rookie regular season..
There is a different kind of willingness to Tatum, as he is now being praised for how quickly he picks up defense .This is the advantage of playing with Marcus,Rozier and Jaylen
NO EXCUSES_LIKE I'M TOO YOUNG

Got a link?

I feel good about Brown becoming a 15 point, 5 reb, 2-3 ast, 1 blk, 1 stl type guy.  A really nice two way player with a little bit of playmaking thrown in.  Closest comp -- Andre Iguodala in Denver.

Forgive me, but this comparison makes absolutely no sense, imo.  Brown and Iguodala aren't even remotely similar as players.

I remember in 1983, when everyone thought Ralph Sampson, Byron Scott, Derek Harper and Clyde Drexler were all better than Greg Kite. Well guess what? Greg Kite put all those doubters to shame. Just like Brown will.

Lol, TP :laugh:.

The verdict is still yet to come as to who will be the best player in this class. Still a lot of unknowns. If Brown can be a two way player in the mold of Jimmy Butler, then, yes, I can see where he could be this drafts best player. I haven't seen any other player that looks like they can play defense. So I will wait a couple more years to pick my best player, but Brown definitely has potential to be.

Really - not one? ::) Kris Dunn, Thon Maker, Taurean Prince, Caris LeVert, Patrick "Not Feathers" McCaw :laugh: and Malcolm Brogdon, among others, can't play defense?  Seriously?

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 02:41:41 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Ingram reminds me of a slightly better jamesc young down to the personality and lack of improvement . Kind of scary how similar they are

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 02:58:18 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Ingram reminds me of a slightly better jamesc young down to the personality and lack of improvement . Kind of scary how similar they are

Lol, Ingram always looks like he's stoned, to me :laugh:.