Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2019-2020  (Read 178906 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2019-2020
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2020, 04:08:09 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2931
So, is it just me or does the neutral site seem like it’s going to lead to closer games and more potential upsets (like this Bucks game) due to no homecourt advantage? The Bucks seem like a team that is  really more reliant on their home court advantage than other teams.

« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2020, 04:10:18 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Middleton shot 4-12, but I'm a bit surprised he only got 12 shots.

Anyways, great win for the Magic and it'll certainly make them feel good. I think everyone, myself included, thought the Bucks would sweep them comfortably.

So far these playoffs have gotten off to a very nice start (besides that BS Porzingis ejection + Hayward injury). I'm excited for the two evening/night games today (OKC-HOU, LAL-POR).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
So, is it just me or does the neutral site seem like it’s going to lead to closer games and more potential upsets (like this Bucks game) due to no homecourt advantage? The Bucks seem like a team that is  really more reliant on their home court advantage than other teams.

Yeah I think for a game or two the bubble allows pretty much anything to happen.  It is such a strange atmosphere.  I am not ready to say that the Magic have a real shot yet, but it was a great start for them, and a head-scratcher for the Bucks.  We are all Magic fans at least for a few more games.

« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Obviously Orlando had home-court advantage being that...the bubble is in Orlando lol.

But yes, big upset for the Bucks. If they lose Game 2, they're in some serious trouble.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2020, 04:21:24 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Yeah I think for a game or two the bubble allows pretty much anything to happen.  I am not ready to jump on the Magic bandwagon yet, but it was a great start for them, and a head-scratcher for the Bucks.

My evaluation of the Magic when we played them:

Great defensive scheme. They make it really hard to take and make threes. That is a terrible matchup for a Bucks team that relies heavily on role players shooting a lot of threes who cannot create for themselves.

Threatening drives. I always feel uncomfortable with the way Fultz and Fournier probe the lane playing us. Fultz demonstrated his ability to break down the Bucks defense today even with them going under every screen.

Consistent good looks. I always felt like, at the very least, they had a reasonable floor offensively because Vucevic is a reliable scorer.

Really long and athletic. This was especially true with Aaron Gordon and Johnathan Isaac, but it still holds true. Clark, Ennis, Ross, Iwundu, and Fultz are all really, really long and use that length to disrupt. I've consistently said that the Bucks are one of the least athletic teams in the NBA. Middleton, Hill, Matthews, Lopez brothers, Williams are all slow for their position. DiVencenzo and Connoughton help with that, and obviously Bledsoe and Giannis are elite, but its not surprising that the entire team would struggle against good athletes and length.

Surprisingly dangerous offensively, even if they aren't consistent. This is because their three point shooting comes and goes. But they generate a lot of three point shots, which can stretch the defense and open things up inside.

I don't expect the Magic to win the series, but you can see why the Magic won the game today. Especially when summer 2019 Team USA Kris Middleton shows up to play. 

« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Yeah I think for a game or two the bubble allows pretty much anything to happen.  I am not ready to jump on the Magic bandwagon yet, but it was a great start for them, and a head-scratcher for the Bucks.

Great defensive scheme. They make it really hard to take and make threes. That is a terrible matchup for a Bucks team that relies heavily on role players shooting a lot of threes who cannot create for themselves.

Threatening drives. I always feel uncomfortable with the way Fultz and Fournier probe the lane playing us. Fultz demonstrated his ability to break down the Bucks defense today even with them going under every screen.

Consistent good looks. I always felt like, at the very least, they had a reasonable floor offensively because Vucevic is a reliable scorer.

Really long and athletic. This was especially true with Aaron Gordon and Johnathan Isaac, but it still holds true. Clark, Ennis, Ross, Iwundu, and Fultz are all really, really long and use that length to disrupt. I've consistently said that the Bucks are one of the least athletic teams in the NBA. Middleton, Hill, Matthews, Lopez brothers, Williams are all slow for their position. DiVencenzo and Connoughton help with that, and obviously Bledsoe and Giannis are elite, but its not surprising that the entire team would struggle against good athletes and length.

Surprisingly dangerous offensively, even if they aren't consistent. This is because their three point shooting comes and goes. But they generate a lot of three point shots, which can stretch the defense and open things up inside.

I don't expect the Magic to win the series, but you can see why the Magic won the game today. Especially when summer 2019 Team USA Kris Middleton shows up to play.

Maybe it's good that the Celtics might not see the Orlando Magic until the Eastern Conference Finals  ;D They might be a tougher matchup than Milwaukee as you've described the Magic's scheme.

« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2020, 04:33:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I couldn't catch the game. What the heck happened to the Bucks?

« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2020, 04:37:04 PM »

• Paul Silas

Maybe it's good that the Celtics might not see the Orlando Magic until the Eastern Conference Finals  ;D They might be a tougher matchup than Milwaukee as you've described the Magic's scheme.

Obviously I'm recognizing their strengths and giving them props for that. Doesn't mean I don't know their weaknesses. There is a reason why we beat them and why they are the 8 seed.

« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2020, 04:38:23 PM »

• Paul Silas

Just straight got beat. Magic played well. Bucks didn't come to play. Magic are a bad matchup for them, but I wouldn't expect game 2 to go the same way.

« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »

• Paul Silas
Where is Sabonis?

« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Magic pull a rabbit out of the hat...

Gary Clark undrafted out of Cinncinati 4/12 - 15 pts
Vooch 15/24 - 35 pts
Fultz 6/11 - 15 pts
Ross 7/13 - 18 pts

These guys - 32 for 60 from the field for this bunch of thoroughbreds and 83 pts...yikes

Bucks bench 90 minutes 35 pts
Magic bench 76 minutes 37 pts

Budenholzer is big on trying to "wear opponents down" with his long bench.

Orlando Magic = every game is a home game in Florida

« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Just straight got beat. Magic played well. Bucks didn't come to play. Magic are a bad matchup for them, but I wouldn't expect game 2 to go the same way.

Magics played well, esp n defending on Giannis, but it's not everything (and Fournier was still 0 pt after 32 mn of game) . Bucks looked stressed, strangely Bud put Giannis out very early in the game. May time they came back to 3-5 points but each time they took another serie of point. Little strange. And I must say referees were not advantaging Bucks or Giannis, a lot of travell, not so much auto call for Giannis. Probably good instructions from NBA board.

« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Where is Sabonis?
Out with a foot injury. Probably doesn’t make it back
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2020, 06:42:22 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Lots of upsets today in the Eastern Conference  :o

Miami Heat downed the Pacers to take Game 1

« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lots of upsets today in the Eastern Conference  :o

Miami Heat downed the Pacers to take Game 1
Was that an upset? I haven't seen anyone tip Indiana to win considering Sabonis is out. Or do you mean literally based on the seedings?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)