Author Topic: Bradley Beal on the block. Should Celts make an offer?  (Read 6520 times)

Re: Bradley Beal on the block. Should Celts make an offer?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I'm a no for this deal.  I want to see this team play in January where they will absolutely have a 10-12 game win streak.  No deals unless its a Yabu and Rozier deal for a vet.  This team is a championship team as soon as they get some chemistry.

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 12:17:56 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Um Stevens isn't trading Hayward. Let's get that out of our minds right now. I think if Ainge traded Hayward, Stevens would leave.

I think Brown, Rozier and Morris and a pick for Beal and Howard or Green would be enough to get it done.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
They'd have to trade too many pieces to be worth it.

Smart, Brown, Mook, Rozier ... that's almost half the rotation.

Hayward and Rozier for Beal and J. Smith (ex) works..

People think Hayward’s untouchable because of his relationship with Stevens, but Ainge would trade him at the drop of the hat if it meant bettering the team.

Honestly I don't think Hayward has positive trade value right now.
And I don't think Beal is better than Hayward anyway.  I mean sure right now he is, but I have full confidence he will be better than Beal again, and probably even this year.

Honestly, I'd rather have Porter than Beal.  It would take a package of Smart, Morris, Rozier, filler (Bird?), but I don't think you'd have to trade Brown to get Porter and that just seems like a much better trade for Boston

So once Smart can be traded in January, you do that trade and Boston is left with a very strong top 7 in Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Porter, Baynes with guys like Theis, Semi, and some vet minimum players to fill in the rest of the rotation (and provide some ball handling).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 12:40:06 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would have ZERO issues trading Brown and Rozier or Smart and a first for Beal. 

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Honestly, I'd rather have Porter than Beal.  It would take a package of Smart, Morris, Rozier, filler (Bird?), but I don't think you'd have to trade Brown to get Porter and that just seems like a much better trade for Boston

Porter is an OK player.  I know he would probably look better on another team. 

Even with that said, I think he's super overpaid.  I would not want to trade for him.

Besides, we already have Hayward, Tatum, Brown ... what do we need with another SG/SF type, especially one who isn't really much of a defender, passer, or rebounder?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 12:44:26 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

People think Hayward’s untouchable because of his relationship with Stevens, but Ainge would trade him at the drop of the hat if it meant bettering the team.

And I don't think Beal is better than Hayward anyway.  I mean sure right now he is, but I have full confidence he will be better than Beal again, and probably even this year.

So once Smart can be traded in January, you do that trade and Boston is left with a very strong top 7 in Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Porter, Baynes with guys like Theis, Semi, and some vet minimum players to fill in the rest of the rotation (and provide some ball handling).
Otto Porter- 10.5ppg, 4.4 rebounds, 37% 3 point percentage.  Marcus Morris- 13.5ppg, 6.6 reb, 44% 3 point percentage.  Morris is as good or better than Porter.  So why do we want to include him in a huge package for an inferior player?

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't want Bradley Beal for what we would need to give up for him.  I don't think we need what he brings most to the team.  I believe that Irving, Brown, Tatum, and Hayward are going to give us plenty of shooting once everything settles down.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Smart, Brown and Rozier I can deal with, but no way that the Sox would give up Betts as part of the deal.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Porter has been the most overrated player on the Wizards and I knew that contract was going to haunt them, a long with John Wall.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

Make no mistake - a healthy Beal is better than a healthy Hayward. I think (hope im wrong) Hayward will join the ranks of guys like Jamal Magloire and Tom Gugliotta in a few years as a guy people say - "he made an all star team once?!" A lot of Celtics are disillusioned about the type of player Hayward was even before we got him - a career 15/4 guy who isn't really elite at anything on the court. Beal, on the other hand, is one of the few remaining pure shooting guards in the game, shots a career 40% from deep, and is someone i expect to make at least 5 all star appearences when its all said and done. Is 3 years younger than Hayward as well.

Also, Otto Porter is one of the worst contracts in the league. You really want to pay Horford, Hayward, and Porter a combined $85 million? And still have to pay Kyrie $40 mill this offseason? Thats how teams sink quick.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:26:19 PM by perks-a-beast »

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Make no mistake - a healthy Beal is better than a healthy Hayward. I think (hope im wrong) Hayward will join the ranks of guys like Jamal Magloire and Tom Gugliotta in a few years as a guy people say - "he made an all star team once?!" A lot of Celtics are disillusioned about the type of player Hayward was even before we got him - a career 15/4 guy who isn't really elite at anything on the court.

I'm not going to argue over whether healthy Beal is better than healthy Hayward, but I think you're severely underrating Hayward here.

Last healthy season for Hayward:

21.9 pts, 5.4 reb, 3.5 ast, 1.0 stl

53.6% EFG ... 39.8% 3P (5.1 attempts) ... 84.4% FT on 5.9 attempts

.199 WS per game, 10.4 WS total

That wasn't a total fluke season, either.  Hayward was really, really good for three straight years before signing with Boston and getting hurt. 

Hayward also played 72, 66, 72, 77, 76, 80, 73 games to start his career before missing all of last season (except for a few minutes).  Availability is a valuable trait, as well.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 01:29:20 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Yes, if he demands a trade.

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Make no mistake - a healthy Beal is better than a healthy Hayward. I think (hope im wrong) Hayward will join the ranks of guys like Jamal Magloire and Tom Gugliotta in a few years as a guy people say - "he made an all star team once?!" A lot of Celtics are disillusioned about the type of player Hayward was even before we got him - a career 15/4 guy who isn't really elite at anything on the court.

I'm not going to argue over whether healthy Beal is better than healthy Hayward, but I think you're severely underrating Hayward here.

That wasn't a total fluke season, either.  Hayward was really, really good for three straight years before signing with Boston and getting hurt. 

Hayward also played 72, 66, 72, 77, 76, 80, 73 games to start his career before missing all of last season (except for a few minutes).  Availability is a valuable trait, as well.

Any time I hear someone say Hayward sucks, I wonder if they ever watched the Jazz vs Clippers series..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Hayward was really good, and I'm not jumping into the original argument, but I will say that Beal at 20 & 23 vs Hayward at 20 & 23 suggest Beal is/will be better if he doesn't plateau, and on top of that he's younger and within the Kyrie / Tatum timeline, which could be a scary big 3.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Um Stevens isn't trading Hayward. Let's get that out of our minds right now. I think if Ainge traded Hayward, Stevens would leave.

I think Brown, Rozier and Morris and a pick for Beal and Howard or Green would be enough to get it done.
If he traded Hayward he probably wouldn't be able to sign another free agent for a long time. No one would want to take the chance of coming here and getting dealt a year later to some place he might not want to go.  Hayward isn't going anywhere anytime soon.