Author Topic: Theis playing good ball  (Read 2955 times)

Theis playing good ball
« on: August 19, 2019, 03:31:55 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Seems to have his bounce back playing all around basketball averaging 17 pts in first two games.Blocking shots, running the court and getting up for lobs.Team Germany.

Re: Theis playing good ball
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 04:01:53 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Where did they telecast the game?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:11:59 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Got this from two tapes off  two posts Reddit--just Thies highlites vs Poland and Chech Republic.
They must be up on you tube also.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 04:14:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://www.youtube.com/user/TomCzys

Posted his highlights - two 17 point games
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 06:24:04 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Injuries really hampered him last year. When he was healthy the previous year he was very solid. Question is can he be durable.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 10:55:38 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Thanks for posting this. TP.

Theis is posting up a lot more for the German team than he ever did in the NBA. I doubt he would be able to pull that off here.

But he does look healthy and fluid.  Good to see.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Personally, I think it's the white adhesive tape on the ball.

Theis looks really good. Doesn't look like he's in pain at all. He's got good "bounce".

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Injuries really hampered him last year. When he was healthy the previous year he was very solid. Question is can he be durable.

That is a good question.

As for him being hampered last year, I had trouble seeing it.

BUT, having said that, I don't know how you could help being affected by a left meniscus tear followed by a right plantar fascia tear, especially for jumping off the right foot. (I'd guess that the second injury was not unrelated to the first.)

His production did not seem to suffer, though, with the possible exception of defensive rebounding, which was already not great for a center (btw he may "be" a 4, but he "plays" 5). One of Rozier's seldom-recognized contributions was his defensive rebounding, which was remarkable for someone at his position - but after all, you would still expect a big like Theis to do better; but Terry edged him out. On the other hand, his offensive rebounding was still very good, so the leg issues can't have had much of an effect.

You'd expect knee and foot stuff to hurt shot-blocking more than anything else (maybe charges taken?), but Daniel was the same excellent shot-blocker in year 2 as year 1. He fouls too much, but barely more in year 2 - call it a wash because of the sample size.

On the plus side, two huge improvements in his game came in his second season: he drastically cut down his turnovers (went from catastrophic to excellent) and dramatically increased his 3-pt%. If your third big (maybe second, at least until RW3 comes online) takes good care of the ball, blocks 4+% and shoots .388 from deep, you are pretty solid.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:29:58 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 11:39:00 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
There was one play in the Poland video highlights around 1:10 where he was holding his wrist in pain after.  Hopefully nothing that could linger.  I've been a big fan of him being a strong rotational player and hope he can stay healthy through the postseason.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Theis, along with Ojeleye, Poirier, and RWill are all going to play important roles for the Celtics.  Kanter will be important too but I feel more that I know what we are getting with him.  His floor and ceiling is pretty well established.  After Kanter, it is all questions.

Glad Theis is doing well.

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Theis, along with Ojeleye, Poirier, and RWill are all going to play important roles for the Celtics.  Kanter will be important too but I feel more that I know what we are getting with him.  His floor and ceiling is pretty well established.  After Kanter, it is all questions.

Yes, lots of questions, and team management seems to have stocked up on several possible answers.

But at the same time, one thing is clear. Boston places high hopes in the future of Timelord:

· Team executive on Williams’ development: “We knew he was a project when we drafted him, but a worthy one. Sometimes a project gets tossed early, but Robert is a guy we’ll go the distance with. Word of warning: Don’t put too much on this kid too early. We signed a lot of bigs for a reason.”

It's clear that his time has come to prove himself. He'll get a lot of minutes.

I think that people have slept on Theis and Ojeleye. Both of them will have the opportunity to be in the regular rotation, and both have useful talents to bring to it.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 03:24:59 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Quote from: Hoopvortex link=topic=101194.msg2715684#msg2715684
Team executive on Williams’ development: “We knew he was a project when we drafted him, but a worthy one. Sometimes a project gets tossed early, but Robert is a guy we’ll go the distance with. Word of warning: Don’t put too much on this kid too early. We signed a lot of bigs for a reason.”

I think that people have slept on Theis and Ojeleye. Both of them will have the opportunity to be in the regular rotation, and both have useful talents to bring to it.

I don't read that quote as expecting him to get a lot of minutes.  Rather I read it just the opposite.  They like RWill, have not given up on RWill, but I don't think they expect all that much from him this season (thus the "signed a lot of bigs" comment).

As for RWill, I agree, there is a lot to like.  He may be something really good eventually but I don't expect much from him this season.  I think Kanter, Theis, Ojeleye, and Poirier will all play ahead of him.  Would love to be wrong on that.  It would be great if GWill took a leap and become a regular contributor.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:28:16 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 04:45:38 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I'm excited about Poirier. IMO, he's a legitimate nba center. He's huge and has good quickness considering his size. He did a good job kicking the ball out of the post for open 3s in the game against Brazil. There's a clip where he does a nice job defending a smaller quicker player who drives on him and gets blocked. IMO, Poirier and Theis will make Kanter work to get his minutes.

Poirier lacks his experience, but he looks like he can at least be a younger, more athletic version of Baynes.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 05:11:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Team executive on Williams’ development: “We knew he was a project when we drafted him, but a worthy one. Sometimes a project gets tossed early, but Robert is a guy we’ll go the distance with. Word of warning: Don’t put too much on this kid too early. We signed a lot of bigs for a reason.”

I don't read that quote as expecting him to get a lot of minutes.  Rather I read it just the opposite.  They like GWill, have not given up on GWill, but I don't think they expect all that much from him this season (thus the "signed a lot of bigs" comment).

As for GWil
l, I agree, there is a lot to like.  He may be something really good eventually but I don't expect much from him this season.  I think Kanter, Theis, Ojeleye, and Poirier will all play ahead of him.  Would love to be wrong on that.  It would be great if GWill took a leap and become a regular contributor.

I’m 99% sure that quote is about Robert Williams, not Grant Williams.

That said, I agree with your interpretation other than you’ve got the wrong player.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 08:07:05 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

I don't read that quote as expecting him to get a lot of minutes.  Rather I read it just the opposite.  They like GWill, have not given up on GWill, but I don't think they expect all that much from him this season (thus the "signed a lot of bigs" comment).

I'm sure you mean RWill...

"a lot of minutes" - relative term. 

Here's the thing: they need him to advance because there's a big gaping hole where a rim-protector should be. That's why he'll get a lot of minutes. I'm going out on a limb a bit, but I'm predicting rotation minutes, like 12-16, but not until after the all-star break.

That's not even a big jump from last year, as he played 8.8 per in 32 games.

Once he comes online, they can play all sorts of two-big lineups because he can cover space on the floor as well as block shots.

You're not wrong to read that quotation as saying it'll take time; but it's also clear in there that they believe in his future. If Horford were still here it might be different, but it's a combination of his potential and the team's need. That means that he'll be on the court plenty.