Author Topic: Kevin McHale Trying to Ruin My Life?  (Read 8686 times)

Kevin McHale Trying to Ruin My Life?
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:45:58 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
From time to time, the success that KG has found in Boston makes me forget about all the hatred I built up for McHale as the Wolves GM.  It's still there, but it was just been pushed to the back burner while I watch KG continue on.

But then there is an article about how much McHales likes Kevin Love.  The fact that he is even considering taking a power forward (and an undersized, unathletic, questionable defensive power forward at that) in this draft hurts, and hurts bad.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Kevin McHale Trying to Ruin My Life?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Love makes sense only if they move back.  There's a rumor that they're looking to fall back to around #7, right?

The Wolves shouldn't be making any trades, though, until they see if Miami is as much in love with O.J. Mayo as Chris Ford says they are.  If Rose and Mayo somehow go top-2, the Twolves *have* to take Beasley.  Hell, they should be offering Miami any player on their roster outside of Big Al to move up.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Love makes sense only if they move back.  There's a rumor that they're looking to fall back to around #7, right?

The Wolves shouldn't be making any trades, though, until they see if Miami is as much in love with O.J. Mayo as Chris Ford says they are.  If Rose and Mayo somehow go top-2, the Twolves *have* to take Beasley.  Hell, they should be offering Miami any player on their roster outside of Big Al to move up.

Honestly, I don't care if they drop outside the top 10... Love is just that far off from what they need, in my opinion. 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Honestly, I don't care if they drop outside the top 10... Love is just that far off from what they need, in my opinion. 

What position are you targeting?  Point?  Center?  I can understand if they're not in love with Lopez.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

What position are you targeting?  Point?  Center?  I can understand if they're not in love with Lopez.

Center, point, or shooting guard/small forward.  Power Forward is the only position where they're set.  My order of things...

1.  Take Rose if he happens to fall in your lap.
2.  If no Rose/Beasley... take whichever you feel has the best potential of Lopez/Bayless (although Bayless seems to be a lot like Foye).
3.  If there are no centers or point guards you like with #3, trade down for Robin Lopez. 

If McHale hasn't identified their huge need for a center, then I have no clue what's going to happen.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Center, point, or shooting guard/small forward.  Power Forward is the only position where they're set.  My order of things...

2.  If no Rose/Beasley... take whichever you feel has the best potential of Lopez/Bayless (although Bayless seems to be a lot like Foye).
3.  If there are no centers or point guards you like with #3, trade down for Robin Lopez. 

If McHale hasn't identified their huge need for a center, then I have no clue what's going to happen.

I think he may be banking on the lack of great centers in the league.  Big Al is competent there, and if you can put a great player beside him (like Beasley) I think you do so.  I agree, though, that putting an undersized PF like Love next to him doesn't make much sense.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:20:43 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

Chad Ford's latest Mock says you guys would take Mayo and would consider Gallinari at that spot.  I disagree with both those picks because Mayo is like Foye and McCants, but has more upside supposedly.  Gallinari is unproven so I wouldn't go there if I were the T'Wolves.  What they need to do is wait to see what the Heat do, like Hobbs said.  Otherwise I'd trade down try and get a good vetran player and still a good draft spot where they can still fill their needs.

Also are you higher on Robin Lopez than Brook?

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:35:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Chad Ford's latest Mock says you guys would take Mayo and would consider Gallinari at that spot.  I disagree with both those picks because Mayo is like Foye and McCants, but has more upside supposedly.  Gallinari is unproven so I wouldn't go there if I were the T'Wolves.  What they need to do is wait to see what the Heat do, like Hobbs said.  Otherwise I'd trade down try and get a good vetran player and still a good draft spot where they can still fill their needs.

I hope not. I'd take Mayo,Bayless, or Augustin.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Mayo would look nice at sg for the Wolves imo. Love makes no sense but it is Kevin. He hasn't drafted well since, since well KG.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Not at all, it comes down to value.  If McHale doesn't value Brook Lopez as a #3 overall pick, then fine.  But assuming he knows this team needs a center, preferably a good defender, then I hope he considers trading down to the mid 1st round and looking at Robin Lopez.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Randy Foye is about to be on ESPN News talking about the T-Wolves and the draft.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for Kevin Love. He's going to make an excellent transition to the NBA and be a serious player in this league.

It's not all bad. Minny could have one of those Rasheed/McDyess combos except both Love and Jefferson have better post games. I think they'd also be better on the backboards. Biggest problem is the defensive end because neither is Rasheed back there.

As for others they should draft ..... it's a top two draft. There's nobody really screaming out to be taken beyond them. There's no guard that I'm wild about. I'm not big on Bayless. Bayless has a huge amount of improvement to go through and Minny already have enough guards in that boat. I like OJ Mayo a lot but he isn't a point guard at this stage, I would heavily consider taking him with that pick though. Very good player who'll be a fine two guard in this league, borderline all-star type like Jason Richardson with potential for more. There's no wings with size anywhere near the top unless you want to take that huge risk on Gallinari. There's very few centres too. Brook Lopez looks fine but I'm not conviced he's anything more than fine and I don't think he's much of a fit next to Al outside of the fact he's 7 feet. He's just as weak a defender, limited range and passing so spacing will be difficult offensively. Truth is there's very little to like about that combination, their flaws are too similar and they don't complement one another well. Then there's the huge risk of DeAndre Jordan who's very interesting.

I rate Kevin Love is the surest thing in this draft after the top two. If it was my pick it would go Love, OJ Mayo, Jordan, Lopez. Not interested in anybody else.

I'd love to see Kevin Love next to Al Jefferson. It would put a lot of pressure on your perimter defense though, to build a top team you'd need a Houston Rockets like defense. Then again you already have Brewer. Fix the rest and you might be on to something.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 08:42:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

I hope not. I'd take Mayo,Bayless, or Augustin.

Minnesota has seen a string of mildly talented point guards who end up playing shooting guard: Foye, McCants, Telfair.  None of those guys strike me as the kind of game changers that Minnesota should be shooting for (lol. They should be looking to "pass first). Brewer, Gomes, Richard, Smith, Madsen and Walker can all play SF. Love is not necessary. They clearly need a center (here's an understatemtn: Doleac is not good enough).

I say, take size here, or move the pick and some young talent for better players.

My issue with Brooks, I think, is that he is the "offense" twin.  Minnesota needs the "defense" twin, but he is not talented enough to take at 3.  What about trading Walker and the pick to the Clippers for Chris Kaman and their pick?  LA would never go for it...