Author Topic: Be Like Donovan  (Read 2658 times)

Be Like Donovan
« on: August 21, 2019, 04:03:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm hoping Donovan Mitchell attitude will rub off on JT and JB now that they are teammates on team USA, and they can witness how he plays every day. Mitchell is about the same age, with similar NBA experience. But he has already asserted himself as a leader, not just of the Jazz, but of Team USA.

HE reminds me of MJ, Kobe, Larry and Lebron in this respect: When the game is on the line, he wants the ball, and is extremely confident he will either score or get fouled. His ability to draw contact is especially enviable. 

Playing with a guy like that on a daily basis should be a wake up call for both of them: This is how you lead a team.  They are both capable, in their own way, of doing that. 

Everyone talks about the benefits of playing for Coach Pop, getting to work with Kemba, getting national exposure, as the big benefits of these two being on the USA Team.  While those are all cool, and helpful, I hope they also learn from Donovan what it takes to be the man.

Re: Be Like Donovan
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
HE reminds me of MJ, Kobe, Larry and Lebron in this respect: When the game is on the line, he wants the ball, and is extremely confident he will either score or get fouled. His ability to draw contact is especially enviable. 

Playing with a guy like that on a daily basis should be a wake up call for both of them: This is how you lead a team

They must have learned plenty under Kyrie, then. ;)

I don’t think having a killer instinct is the same as being a good leader.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Playing with a guy like that on a daily basis should be a wake up call for both of them: This is how you lead a team

I may have set myself up for that one.   But I do stand by having one of them be more "alpha" like Donovan.  Albeit with discretion. Even MJ knew that he was not always the right guy to take the winning shot.   "Leadership" is great, but leadership without talent can be reduced to ML Carr waving the towel from the bench.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:17:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would rather they work hard at just being the best Jaylen and Jayson they can be. Not sure what that is yet but I am dying to find out. I think, in the long term, both might be better overall players just by being the best themselves they can be.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Mitchell is seriously overrated by factions of the NBA community. He's a very nice player but IMO, people making him out as some generational talent because he simply plays hard and wants the ball doesn't cut the mustard for me.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 09:02:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
. But he has already asserted himself as a leader, not just of the Jazz, but of Team USA.

What are you his brother, because this is not true in terms of him being the leader of team USA.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:05:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tatum looks to be just as much of a leader on Team USA as Mitchell
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 09:15:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
. But he has already asserted himself as a leader, not just of the Jazz, but of Team USA.

What are you his brother, because this is not true in terms of him being the leader of team USA.

No, just reports from the coaches have indicated this.

Good to see your sarcasm is still keen. I was getting worried.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 09:25:09 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

I haven't seen more than a handful of his games and highlights,  so my question is, how is he different from Iverson,  because he seems a lot like that type of player too me, at this point,  with what little I have seen?

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Mitchell is seriously overrated by factions of the NBA community. He's a very nice player but IMO, people making him out as some generational talent because he simply plays hard and wants the ball doesn't cut the mustard for me.

I agree...  I think Mitchell is seriously a good scorer, and seems like a very likeable guy, but I think he is a little too much of a shoot first guy. He IS good, but I think he gets too much credit for the success of the Utah squad, and on the flipside I think Gobert and Ingles are overlooked a little.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
You are badly overrating Donovan. I have no idea where you get he is some type of super leader that reminds anyone of Jordan and Lebron. He isn't. He is poorer shooting version of CJ McCollum who takes more shots. That is still a very good player. Jaylen and Jayson should be Jaylen and Jayson.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 02:36:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
You are badly overrating Donovan. I have no idea where you get he is some type of super leader that reminds anyone of Jordan and Lebron. He isn't. He is poorer shooting version of CJ McCollum who takes more shots. That is still a very good player. Jaylen and Jayson should be Jaylen and Jayson.

I've watched the inter-scrimmage and both foreign (Spain and Australia) games. I've read the accounts from the coaches, who have singled out Mitchell as the team leader.

I didn't say he was as good as Jordan, etc. Just that he is not afraid to take over in certain situations to create a play or score. Something I'd like to see more of from the J's.