24 (19.8%)
Nets
24 (19.8%)
Clippers
6 (5%)
Other
12 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Author Topic: The Kyrie Irving free agency thread(to sign 4yr/$141M w/Nets page 105)  (Read 147725 times)

Re: What Exactly did Kyrie Accomplish in Boston?
« Reply #1560 on: June 23, 2019, 12:40:47 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This

And this.

Which is FAR MORE important than dribbling a dang basketball......

Now IF you want to discuss basketball -

He was among the team leaders in taking CHARGES - THIS YEAR.

He was our starting PG during our 16 game winning streak in 17-18.

The team was 42-13 in 17-18 with Kyrie Irving as our starting PG.

We were a healthy Kyrie Irving away from going to the NBA Finals in 17-18.

I don't give a hoot if I'm the last Kyrie Irving fan on this sometimes fickle Blog - everything that went wrong WASN'T his fault...sure he was a PART of it - but he is taking an absurd amount of blame for it.

You’re right.

In 20+ years people will still be talking about that magical season in 2019 when Kyrie was among the team leaders in charges taken.

LOL the way we are going so far THIS SUMMER we may very well be talking about this season 20 years from now....

Didn't this franchise go like 22 years between banners?

June 2041 BABY!! FTW....we'll tell Austin Ainge to place Tatum's cute son on our radar.

BE careful what you say.
If we talk about this season in 20 years it will be about the missed opportunity and how much of a disappointment Kyrie Irving was.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1561 on: June 23, 2019, 12:42:42 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Kyrie made millions of dollars and screwed up our team.

Well at least he SHOT a LOT better than your namesake......

Have your first TP. Welcome to the Blog.
He didn’t shoot better than Cousy when it mattered.

25/83 in the last for games of the ECSF.

Yeah and the rest of the team was lighting it up, too.....
The rest of the team doesn’t deserve any praise either but it was mr Irving who spent two years talking about leadership and how he couldn’t wait for playoff basketball and how we were gonna clock come the playoffs “because I’m here” and he laid one hell of an egg.

The idea that he should just skate by criticism free because he put up big numbers in the most painful and most disappointing team to watch in the ainge tenure is absurd.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1562 on: June 23, 2019, 12:51:47 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

The rest of the team doesn’t deserve any praise either but it was mr Irving who spent two years talking about leadership and how he couldn’t wait for playoff basketball and how we were gonna clock come the playoffs “because I’m here” and he laid one hell of an egg.

The idea that he should just skate by criticism free because he put up big numbers in the most painful and most disappointing team to watch in the ainge tenure is absurd.

Who said he should skate by....? Certainly not me. I've stated MANY times on this blog that Kyrie deserves a share of the blame.

What blurs the lines - for ME - is when there are threads 70 pages long disparaging the guy.....and it seems a good portion of this blog wants to put the majority of the blame on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDekKq3nV3k

Marcus "Mr. Impact" Smart says it all, for me.

« Reply #1563 on: June 23, 2019, 01:03:47 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Who said he should skate by....? Certainly not me. I've stated MANY times on this blog that Kyrie deserves a share of the blame.

What blurs the lines - for ME - is when there are threads 70 pages long disparaging the guy.....and it seems a good portion of this blog wants to put the majority of the blame on him.

As if Marcus wasn’t gonna stand up for his teammate.

That’s why he’s my favorite player. He’d never deflect blame or try to stick it on someone else. A+ teammate. Kyrie could learn a thing or two.

« Reply #1564 on: June 23, 2019, 01:15:55 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

That’s why he’s my favorite player. He’d never deflect blame or try to stick it on someone else. A+ teammate. Kyrie could learn a thing or two.

Where has Kyrie EVER tried to blame ANYONE else for last season? Dude has been silent for the most part.

And didn't Kyrie ADMIT to LeBron that he was learning about Leadership? When he apologized to him? I know that most of the blog hates LeBron and takes most of what he says with a grain of salt but isn't Kyrie's comments here showing some growth?

For whatever reason that we probably won't EVER know - the season went to TRASH. Kyrie was a part of this, but so was mostly everyone else, including the coach.

That is not deflecting ANYTHING...that is SHARED responsibility. The Celtics way.

« Reply #1565 on: June 23, 2019, 01:57:30 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
As an outsider, I for one thought you all were fools (Not you all, but the front office) for trading away the vets for unknowns. However, Kyrie helped groomed those unknowns to contenders.

Somewhere along the line, the students decided they were better than the teacher. Egos emerged and players started to think they were better than they were, they started to think money.

With Gordon and Kyrie down, the young guys figured "We don't need em, made it this far without em." Forgetting Kyrie helped groom them and get those guys to the level they are at during year one.

While Kyrie didn't win anything, how is he any different than any other star who got bounced in the playoffs the last 2 years?

The Kyrie experiment was a failure. Objectively, Brad is to blame for not checking the young guys, and Ainge for not trading them for AD when he had the chance.

Nothing significant was accomplished, team wise. Statistically, he was the most efficient he has ever been. In the conversation with Bird, stat wise in terms of efficacy.

He couldn't have traded the young guys for AD when he had the chance, because of Kyrie and the Rose Rule. In that sense yes the Kyrie experiment failed to allow us to trade for AD at the time he became available.

I do agree to a point about the students thinking they got better than the teacher and setting their sights on getting paid after making the ECF. Can't really blame them, they're 21year old kids that ended up a quarter away from toppling LeBum and his cobbled together Cavs team in the ECF in 2018. Nobody on the team is going to say "oh we didn't really deserve to make it, it's a weak East". Nobody complained about Kyrie's leadership on the court while we were getting the No.2 seed. Nobody complained about Kyrie being a **** in the media in 2018. He didn't make any outrageous statements, in fact he apologized for calling the earth flat, and went out of his way to praise the team and the young guys. Tried to make a verbal commitment to us early when he didn't have to (which backfired on him also).

It wasn't till Gordon came back, the team was slow out of the gate at 10-10 while he floundered in the starting lineup, Brown struggled in the opening lineup as well, and both got benched for Mook and Smart that the drama started. Kyrie started criticizing them after losses and the fans started criticizing the team. The criticism generally had a "you guys don't have the experience, only I have the experience to win a championship and you have to make sacrifices" tone. Why the criticism in 2019 and not in 2018? It's not hard to imagine the team listening to him back in 2018, being happy because they were getting more minutes, more time in the limelight because of Gordon's injury, then moping and sulking because those minutes got taken away after success. And Kyrie felt the pressure, because the main currency he was using to influence the young guys was "I've been there, follow me". Bit hard when they almost got there without you.

I have sympathy for Kyrie because sometimes I think the evaluation of him on this forum doesn't take into account his whole body of work, which includes our season of 2017-18. If we're going to criticize him for failing to lead, failing to lift his game when we needed him to, and torpedoing our efforts in 2019, and rightly so, we should acknowledge that his contribution to getting a 2nd seed, which gave us home ground advantage throughout the playoffs in 2018.

Kyrie's failure was his failure to lead and take the team to great heights and meet the expectations after 2018. Statistically he had I think the best season of his career, most assists, best efficiency. Just couldn't get it done when it counted, and that's all fans ultimately care about. But he's hardly to blame for the whole season - this is an organizational failure on multiple levels. If we think it's going to be all better because he's bailed out and the cancer's gone that would be shortsighted. There's players who will still be on this team and organization this coming year that bear some responsibility for what happened last season. Hopefully this summer is a chance for them to look in the mirror and accept responsibility for their roles in what happened, and work to be better for the team in the future. Only then will we be better going forward.

You are missing one point..... the fans love the Boston Celtics over and above any individual player. Kyrie's problem with the fans really started when he turned his back on the Celtics. If he had maintained his promise to re-sign with the Celtics the fans would have supported him over the younger players.

This is a good point, TP. I made it in my first post in this thread - it's the feeling of rejection that hurts. We're the Celtics, we don't like players rejecting our team, they should feel privileged to play for the team. It's interesting to notice that (and I'm only basing this on checking those fan forums during the year and the trade deadline) GS fans and Toronto fans didn't respond to KD and Kawhi's non-commitments through the year with the same resentment that we did (or maybe they did and I just missed it), when in actual fact Kyrie went further than either of those free agents in making a commitment.

When Kyrie failed to reinforce his commitment to us at the trade deadline after getting grilled by media in the wake of the AD trade demand and said "ask me July 1" that was probably the tipping point for people to think "oh he's going to bail on us and he hasn't even achieved anything for us yet" and then, like any relationship that's going south, every little thing he did started to irritate. He dribbled the ball too much. He didn't pass it to Hayward. He made stupid statements to the media. He hogged the ball too much. He criticized his teammates too much why can't he just shut up?

In a way it's the weight of our history. If players seem lukewarm on playing here, or they don't buy into our culture, or don't see wearing green as a privilege, they're not going to be too popular. But despite all that, I think fans would have overlooked all those faults - if Kyrie had succeeded in leading us to a championship. Winning papers over any faults. Unfortunately for him he didn't and that's the legacy he will leave Boston with.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1566 on: June 23, 2019, 02:46:14 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Where has Kyrie EVER tried to blame ANYONE else for last season? Dude has been silent for the most part.

And didn't Kyrie ADMIT to LeBron that he was learning about Leadership? When he apologized to him? I know that most of the blog hates LeBron and takes most of what he says with a grain of salt but isn't Kyrie's comments here showing some growth?

For whatever reason that we probably won't EVER know - the season went to TRASH. Kyrie was a part of this, but so was mostly everyone else, including the coach.

That is not deflecting ANYTHING...that is SHARED responsibility. The Celtics way.

why did Kyrie make his LeBron apology public? Do you realize that public apology whether intended or not placed his team mates in a bad light? Ironic that the apology was about leadership when it displayed lack of leadership.

« Reply #1567 on: June 23, 2019, 07:45:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Kyrie constantly does things to be the news cycle be it ridiculous flat earth statements or stuff like the apology.   He is an attention seeker.

« Reply #1568 on: June 23, 2019, 07:49:44 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Entertaining player.   But sometimes lacks feel of the game - to be such a unique All Star

« Reply #1569 on: June 23, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
loved his play

he simply failed at being a leader ,  and he admitted it in public to Lebron .

I think he is done being THE alpha leader .

« Reply #1570 on: June 23, 2019, 10:36:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

why did Kyrie make his LeBron apology public? Do you realize that public apology whether intended or not placed his team mates in a bad light? Ironic that the apology was about leadership when it displayed lack of leadership.

Or maybe, it showed humility. That he hadn’t figured it all out then and that he’s still learning as he goes along.

Iirc, that Lebron apology thing came out in the midst of a rocky (one of the many) stretch in the season. During a time when the team was playing like they were entitled to be a contender rather than playing like a contender. Iirc, Kyrie said he apologized because he was the young stud back then who didn’t want to be reigned in, ergo someone who played for himself and didn’t really understand what it took to win.

And maybe the words he chose were wrong but let’s face it, he was right. The media hyped the team up to be the next big thing and our guys seemingly forgot that they had to actually play the games and not just win on paper.
- LilRip

As expected....Kyrie Irving to sign 4 year 141million deal with the Nets
« Reply #1571 on: June 29, 2019, 06:12:11 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145089589599752192

as has been rumored for months....really curious how/If kyrie will be different with the "young" nets than the "young" celtics. He certainly hasnt shown me anything that he will act differently

Re: As expected....Kyrie Irving to sign 4 year 141million deal with the Nets
« Reply #1572 on: June 29, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Can't wait until he's officially someone else's problem. Also can't wait until he ruins Brooklyn.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1573 on: June 29, 2019, 06:14:04 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
REally makes me think he threw those last 4 games against the bucks.  The guy was shooting terribly.  Why push a team towards the finals then be forced to try to come back.

« Reply #1574 on: June 29, 2019, 06:15:02 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Can't wait until he's officially someone else's problem. Also can't wait until he ruins Brooklyn.

what will happen when the team goes on a losing streak....will kyrie call out the young guys?