Author Topic: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love  (Read 19208 times)

Re: Woj: Cavs ready to listen to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2019, 11:06:03 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It hurts, but Smart, Kanter, Langford, and Poirier is enough (edit: salary wise). Add in the Memphis pick?

Gives us a starting five of Walker-Brown-Tatum-Hayward-Love with Theis, Williams, Williams, Wanamaker, Edwards, Waters, Ojeleye, and Green off the bench.

Plus I think we are right there with any veteran buyouts.

Dude...wah?

Re: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2019, 11:06:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Due to long-term salaries, the only option that would make sense cap/tax-wise for the Celtics is Hayward.  Which I guess could be okay depending how the rest of the deal were structured, but I really like how this team is playing, and Love would require a key player heading on the move.

Also, the Celtics are a team mentioned as having had interest in the recent past, but not necessarily the present.

I thought of this too, but with the new transient NBA, a trade could be made in the future if necessary. They get two more years of Tatum on a rookie deal to see if they can win a championship. If they can, then the tax becomes more palatable. Plus, we don't know what Hayward will want to do with his next contract.

You’re missing full picture:

If you got Love for Smart and other salaries, the Celtics would be in one of two scenarios next year:

1) Hayward stays, and they’re $10-15 million over the tax line, and repeater-eligible the following season as they’re heading to an extension/RFA with Tatum.

2) Hayward leaves, which means they don’t have tax/cap issues, but now they’re down Smart AND Hayward.

Whereas if they trade Hayward, they’d be below the tax next year, thus resetting the repeater clock entering the Tatum negotiations.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2019, 11:11:11 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Just to be clear: Love is a much better shooter, passer, and defender than Kanter.

He's no Steph Curry, Magic Johnson, or Ben Wallace, but he'd be a significant upgrade over Kanter in those three areas.

and Kanter is a bench player getting 10-15 min a game. So you do not trade for a $28M replacement.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2019, 11:24:51 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
A lot can happen from December to January.

So it's best if the Celts just wait a little longer to make that upgrade.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 11:26:07 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
No thanks.

He doesn’t really plug any holes for the Cs. Bad defender and big contract. Would basically have to trade Hayward for him. I’m good.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 11:33:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We are rolling right now. I can't see Ainge making a big move unless its an offer he can't refuse.

My guess is Love is going to Portland.

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 11:35:48 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
We are rolling right now. I can't see Ainge making a big move unless its an offer he can't refuse.

My guess is Love is going to Portland.

Makes sense.

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2019, 12:26:00 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I would do the Love for Hayward deal and CLE might well do it too and then let Hayward walk after this season, clearing a ton of space.

While Love's not a good defender he's actually had a better career defensive rating and defensive box +/- numbers than Hayward, he's cheaper than Hayward, and he's signed for 4 years whereas GH can opt-out this summer, Stick Love on the second unit and I think he'd do better than GH in the 6th man role. We're deep in the wings and weak in the frontcourt. I'm also a little skeptical of GH's career-best PER this year as he's raised his TS% to 63.8% vs a career of 56.5%. GH's 8 games aren't much of a sample and I'd be shocked if GH doesn't regress a bit over the season as teams realize he's back to pre-injury form. Also think Love would perform better in the playoffs.

That being said, tough to see CBS wanting to trade his Butler boy and I rather have a pure 5 if i had my druthers. Drummond for Hayward fits the bill, but Drummond can opt out this summer too and would be a fool not to.

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2019, 12:59:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Trading Love for Hayward is absurd.

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2019, 01:08:47 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I would do the Love for Hayward deal and CLE might well do it too and then let Hayward walk after this season, clearing a ton of space.

While Love's not a good defender he's actually had a better career defensive rating and defensive box +/- numbers than Hayward, he's cheaper than Hayward, and he's signed for 4 years whereas GH can opt-out this summer, Stick Love on the second unit and I think he'd do better than GH in the 6th man role. We're deep in the wings and weak in the frontcourt. I'm also a little skeptical of GH's career-best PER this year as he's raised his TS% to 63.8% vs a career of 56.5%. GH's 8 games aren't much of a sample and I'd be shocked if GH doesn't regress a bit over the season as teams realize he's back to pre-injury form. Also think Love would perform better in the playoffs.

That being said, tough to see CBS wanting to trade his Butler boy and I rather have a pure 5 if i had my druthers. Drummond for Hayward fits the bill, but Drummond can opt out this summer too and would be a fool not to.

FWIW I am also Pro Hayward for Love.

The team was thrown a curve ball when Horford left where it would have made more sense to keep Hayward then it does now on top of that, agreeing to this trade is essentially handing the keys to Jaylen Brown who has earned his place as a leader on this team.

I'd also take Love over Drummond for the passing. Drummond would be a poor fit for the offense IMO, Love can facilitate out of the mid post similar to Horford and can stretch the floor.

The team is at it's best when it is blitzing the wings win Jaylen and Jayson and Love would slide right in as our unquestioned best big, setting sceens for Kemba and competing on the glass. His outlet passes would also do well with this mobile squad.

I would hope to get Hayward's blessing before pulling the trigger since Cleveland is also the place that he suffered that horrific injury but it's really not the worst spot for him.

Cleveland was apparently interested this summer in Hayward and it would give him a low pressure place to ride out the last year of his deal and see if he and the family like Ohio. One more year to put the injury behind him and Pad his stats for his final contract. Good deal.

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2019, 01:51:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think it’s quite funny how folks want to trade a guy for someone who will address none of our weaknesses after he’s out for a month.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 07:28:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it’s quite funny how folks want to trade a guy for someone who will address none of our weaknesses after he’s out for a month.

Par for the course here, too.

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2019, 07:39:19 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

Soon as I saw Woj tweet I knew this forum would be trying to give up Hayward or Smart for Love. Almost mindnumbing to think.

We don't have the correct matching salaries this isn't happening.
ok fine

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2019, 07:44:52 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Soon as I saw Woj tweet I knew this forum would be trying to give up Hayward or Smart for Love. Almost mindnumbing to think.

Hayward for Love straight up works in the trade machine,

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2019, 07:49:16 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Hayward for Love straight up works in the trade machine,

Yes, it works!

But will Ainge do it?

I doubt it.