Author Topic: We will be okay  (Read 5270 times)

Re: We will be okay
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Um, okay. Too bad they do not have one guy on the roster who can truly play point guard. We will be okay. We lost a guy who is supposedly a top 5 point guard in the league and in the top 20 for MVP. Sure, will be great.

How many teams in the league have a legit "proper" PG?

There are probably only 4 or 5 of those in the league:
* Chris Paul
* Rajon Rondo
* Andre Miller
* Jason Kidd
* Deron Williams

Guys like Derek Rose, Mario Chalmers, Russel Westbrook, Brandon Jennings (etc) are not proper/pure Point Guards, they are basically scorers who can handle the ball.

The natural PG is very rare in today's game, which is dominated largely by scoring PGs. 

We can win games without Rondo.  We can potentially be just as good without Rondo IF we do it the right way.  We need to utilise the strengths of our players better in his absense and change our game plan to suit our key guys.

With Rondo out it leaves Terry, Lee, Barbosa and Bradley as our 4 guard rotation.  All of those guys can hit the three, so it's harder for defenses to help off them the way they did with Rondo out there.  Bradley is probably the only guy on that list that the Defense can risk leaving open, but even he can make you pay.

Also the loss of Rondo allows us to use Lee and Bradley on the court together more frequently, allowing us to take advantage of the smothering defense we get when those guys combine with full court pressure.  Then we can bring Terry and Barbosa off the bench for scoring punch.

Also unlike most teams in the league, we have two of the best passing frontcourt players at their positions in Pierce and KG.  As we saw tonight they are both capable of creating plays for others. 

Needless to say our effort and motivation levels also need to increase dramatically. We won a lot of games last season with a LOT less talent than we have right now, even with Rondo out.  We won those games with pure desperation, by simply playing harder than the opponent every single night.   

If we play with the same urgency we have for most of this season, then yes our chance of making the playoffs will be slim.

This doesn't destroy our chance of making the playoffs or competing deep in the playoffs, it just means we need to do it a different way, with a different strategy.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Terry, Lee, Barbosa and Bradley. Three journeyman players -- one who has been a great shooter in the past -- and a third year guy who plays great defense, but has not been able to stay healthy for any long period of time. I have all the confidence in the world they will make a deep run in the playoffs.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Terry, Lee, Barbosa and Bradley. Three journeyman players -- one who has been a great shooter in the past -- and a third year guy who plays great defense, but has not been able to stay healthy for any long period of time. I have all the confidence in the world they will make a deep run in the playoffs.

How far did Orlando go with Jameer Nelson as their PG, with nothing but one dimensional shooters around him? They got to the NBA Finals actually, though they did get destroyed when they got there..the point is you don't NEED a superstar PG to get deep in the playoffs.

Yes they had Dwight, but we have Pierce and KG who (collectively) are bigger impact players than Dwight is on his own.

I'm not saying we will compete for a title, that we'll go deep in the playoffs or even that we will MAKE the playoffs...but it's all possible if we play hard and everyone plays to their strengths. 

Jameer Nelson is not too different to Jason Terry.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
vinnie are you a troll? or a real celtics fan?

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

How far did Orlando go with Jameer Nelson as their PG, with nothing but one dimensional shooters around him? They got to the NBA Finals actually, though they did get destroyed when they got there..the point is you don't NEED a superstar PG to get deep in the playoffs.

Yes they had Dwight, but we have Pierce and KG who (collectively) are bigger impact players than Dwight is on his own.

I'm not saying we will compete for a title, that we'll go deep in the playoffs or even that we will MAKE the playoffs...but it's all possible if we play hard and everyone plays to their strengths. 

Great point (no pun intended)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 08:54:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
vinnie are you a troll? or a real celtics fan?

smh.  vinnie may get under people's skin a bit, but I don't think he is a troll, and I agree with his point.  We are, especially in the playoffs, not a better team now than RR is lost for the season. 

I will try to be cautiously optimistic though that if the effort we played with today continues (best Def effort of the year) that we should be able to win enough games to get into the playoffs and then let the cards fall where they may.

It is just once we get there, we don't have one of the best playoff performers in the league.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
Rondo's workload can be redistributed among all of the guards. No one said it was easy or likely, but impossible? Not a chance. The C's played great today in the absence of RR and can continue to do so. The guards we have are all capable and skilled to some degree.

As good as he was, the team was never "Rondo". KG on the other hand... he goes down, season's fate is sealed instantly

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:46 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
Is it too early for me to say I told you so?

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I agree that you don't necessarily need a superstar point guard to go deep in the playoffs, but it certainly helps to have superstar level players.  Rondo is absolutely the closest thing we have to a superstar level player. 

The silver lining is that I believe that Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett still have the ability to play like superstar players in stretches.  If they can both find a stretch where they are playing at their best in a seven game series against the Heat and the likes of Green, Terry, Lee, Bass and Bradley are making strong contributions, then I still think we have an outside chance at knocking off the Heat. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Um, okay. Too bad they do not have one guy on the roster who can truly play point guard. We will be okay. We lost a guy who is supposedly a top 5 point guard in the league and in the top 20 for MVP. Sure, will be great.

How many teams in the league have a legit "proper" PG?

There are probably only 4 or 5 of those in the league:
* Chris Paul
* Rajon Rondo
* Andre Miller
* Jason Kidd
* Deron Williams

Guys like Derek Rose, Mario Chalmers, Russel Westbrook, Brandon Jennings (etc) are not proper/pure Point Guards, they are basically scorers who can handle the ball.

The natural PG is very rare in today's game, which is dominated largely by scoring PGs.
Nope, it's not -- there's just a pile of players that you can't think of. Let me help:

Rubio
Vasquez
Holliday
Calderon
Dragic
Conley
Lin
Jack
Teague
Nelson

I'm sure there may be more that I'm forgetting. These are the most prominent ones.

That's not as rare as you're trying to make it look.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 10:21:02 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
On another positive note, Jeff Green has averaged over 14 pts, 3 boards, 1 steal and 1 block in the past 5 games to go with strong defense. Oh, and fg% well over 50.

I see his workload increasing going forward. He doesn't look like the outsider waiting for his chance anymore.

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
On another positive note, Jeff Green has averaged over 14 pts, 3 boards, 1 steal and 1 block in the past 5 games to go with strong defense. Oh, and fg% well over 50.

I see his workload increasing going forward. He doesn't look like the outsider waiting for his chance anymore.

agree, Green seems to have found his place and feels and looks like a part of the team.   Green has been a very important piece for the Celtics last victories

I'll be interested to see if Green can put a lid on Gay's offense when we play the Raptors. If he does we win up in Toronto

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

agree, Green seems to have found his place and feels and looks like a part of the team.   Green has been a very important piece for the Celtics last victories

I'll be interested to see if Green can put a lid on Gay's offense when we play the Raptors. If he does we win up in Toronto
Lots of players seem to have found their place once Rondo is out of the lineup...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Lots of players seem to have found their place once Rondo is out of the lineup...

yup....sure does look like  a lot more happy and confident faces out there on the court. ......even old Collins seems a hair more active.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Or possibly the fact that Rondo and Sully are out of the lineup is giving them a more consistent amount of minutes every game. It's going to have a negative effect on most player's games if they play 12 minutes 1 night and 30 the next.